Ratings for Dr. James Chandler

Only good things to say love his open brutally honest approach. He doesn't sugar coat things and that is appreciated. We are lucky to have him In Yarmouth. He is an extremely smart person and knows his stuff.

flag | Submitted June 28, 2017

One of the worst doctors in the mental health field. He gave a diagnosis of Borderline Personality Disorder before taking the time to even get to know me. Borderlines can't sustain relationships with family or friends and I have had many relationships I have fostered since childhood that I am still blessed with today. He gave me this diagnosis because he thought I was difficult and quite frankly I think my intellect scared him. He is a bigot and has a limited understanding of mental illness when it comes to young adults. He put me on anti psychotics when my illness was anxiety based. My family doctor and my psychiatrist in Halifax who have known me for a long amount of time have called his "work" is a misdiagnosis. He is not professional. He is rude, inconsiderate and ignorant. Had it not been for the support of my friends and family and other competent professionals I would not have gotten better. He sets the field of psychiatric medicine in Yarmouth in the dark ages.

flag | Submitted October 13, 2015

He saved my life years ago when others continually misdiagnosed me. He was the only psychiatrist that ever understood me. Today I am leading a normal life completely free of medication, for which I thank God and Dr. Chandler.

flag | Submitted March 10, 2012

When I was younger (17) Dr. Chandler "diagnosed" me with OCD Manic-Depression and maybe Skitzopherinia. He put me on resperadone. Later in life I found out that he only wrote "OCD" in my chart. This I though was odd because of what he had told me in person, and the anti-psychiotics he put me on... Today I am happy and healthy. I am very dissapointed that he gave me such diagnoses and did not write them down, thus never proving that he said those things to me. He also breached patient confidentiality by telling me that I "would not end up like me cousin because I would take my meds, not like him". My cousin killed himself years earlier. By telling me that my cousin did not take his medication was a breach. Doctor Chandler should be fired...well should have been years ago.

flag | Submitted February 4, 2012

Dr. Chandler is very knowledgable and upfront with his diagnosis. Saved our sons life.

flag | Submitted October 29, 2011

He helped me when I needed it and I found him to be a very easy person to talk to

flag | Submitted April 14, 2009

Homophobic, slings accusations without proper test results, narrow minded, discriminatory, very unprofessional in his approach. He walked into our hospital room and without just cause nor any test results he made accusation that the reason for my post op hallucinations were due to my being an aids patient rather than from the Morphine or other drugs then present in my system! (Just a side note... when an Aids test was later conducted I showed no signs of the disease and am currently HIV Negative. Dr.'s should think before they speak, lest they show their own bigoted attitudes.

flag | Submitted May 28, 2008

Dr Chandler saved my daughter's life. If it weren't for him she would eventually succeeded in taking her life. It is because of him she started on the long hard road to recovery (as best one can recover from a serious mental illness) perhaps the better word is improvement. He took her on as a patient even though she was outside his treatment area because of his great compassion for a child who had her life stolen from her when no other psychiatrist in the Annapolis Valley would treat her as that would mean defying Dr Garvey.

flag | Submitted April 15, 2007

I do fine him knowledgeable with diagnoses especially dealing with children with ODD. He tells you like it is which was nice with my daughter. She needed to hear what he had to say for her attitude need a change. Even though she does not think to highly of him. Truth hurts! Yeah! Good to have someone that understands fully what parents have to go through. He listens and having good listening skills in this field is what we needed. Someone taking the time to hear what you have to say before giving his opinion. He is Non-judgemental, which I love about him. I found him very busy to get in to see him but having only few in this field makes it harder on him to keep up with Yarmouth County, meaning lack of Phychiatrists here.

flag | Submitted March 20, 2007

Extremely helpful and knowledgable about ADHD/ODD/OCD etc.

flag | Submitted March 13, 2007