Ratings for Dr. Yair Karas

I also had RK performed in the 90's which was good for about 10 years....once i hit 40, my eyesight started deteriorating rapidly and i am having many problems now...i understand that requiring reading glasses is normal at my age but now my distance vision is also very poor....i saw Dr. Karas last year and he recommended lense replacement but wanted to charge me $1000+ per eye!...i tried calling today to book an appointment but apparently his Richmond Hill business has shut down. I called Eye Associates of Don Mills and inquired about him and was told he was semi-retired and had a waiting list of 60+ people and they did not know exactly when he was returning...the receptionist was very rude and kept putting me on hold and i finally hung up after waiting 5+ min on hold....anyone have any recommendations on who i can see in correcting my issues?

flag | Submitted July 10, 2017

Dr Yair Karas is an incompetent and low skilled Dr. There are tons of law suits against his RK Eye surgery. He performed surgery on both eyes through RK. He raved about the success, and brought patients into the waiting room to help brainwash everyone together on this procedure. I am so disappointed that I chanced this procedure, when vision is so important. Dr Karas should have been removed from practise many years ago, instead of ruining people's lives by having to live with problematic and blurred vision as a result of his faulty procedure and knowledge. In Dec, 2016 he was forced to close down his malpractice in Richmond Hill, and instead of stripping his license he joined The Eye Associates of Don Mills another office of rude and incompetent practitioners and staff. I contacted Eye Associates to forward me my complete files, since Karas was supposed to have already forwarded them to my amazing Opthometrist and he didn't follow through. All crooks...everything about ripping people off and wanting money for my records to be sent to me when they should have been removed from Karas' hands years ago.

flag | Submitted May 11, 2017

I also had RK in the late 1990's with Dr Karas. My vision fluctuates and I cannot drive at night. Vision is poor in low light. I contacted rksurvivors and they sent me for an exam to see what was done to my eyes. I was told that the surgery was not done properly. I have contacted a lawyer and now have a suit filed against Dr Karas like the others. I would not go back there ever and suggest anyone with problems from RK get help.

flag | Submitted November 12, 2016

I had RK surgery in the mid 1990's. There was no information given about all the negative side effects that were known about RK. The knowledge contained in the medical literature was not relayed to me. I found a site called rksurvivors that has the medical literature posted. I have also read the Toronto Star's report on RK and learned of the lawsuits against Dr Karas. I would not recommend him to anybody as I have now found out that I received negligent care as he made the centre area of the cornea too small so the vision is distorted . The people at rksurvivor have helped me learn the truth about what was done to me.

flag | Submitted November 10, 2016

I had RK surgery back in the 1990's and all was great for a time. I then went back to Dr. Karas as I could not no longer read small print. I also advised him that I was having trouble seeing at night (which was a problem with driving) and in any place where there was low lighting. He told me he could perform another surgery by sewing a thread into my left eye to adjust my vision so that I could read small print. After checking my vision in the dark, he told me that it was good enough to pass a test with the Ministry of Transportation so I shouldn't worry. It is now 2016 and I have such problems with my vision. My night vision is terrible, reading anything up close is impossible without reading glasses and sometimes a magnifying glass. My sight for distance, which is why I had the surgery to begin with, is also fuzzy. I paid a total of $4200.00 and I now think I should have stuck with my contact lenses as I am unsure if anything can be done to correct my deteriorating eyesight.

flag | Submitted November 2, 2016

I had cataract surgery by Dr Karas a few years after my RK surgery by him. Shortly after the cataract surgery my vision went downhill with irregular astigmatism. I have been told that the cataract surgery crossed my old RK incisions and that this is the cause of my poor vision. I do not believe any other surgeon would have done it this way. I would get a few opinions about how to have cataract surgery done before allowing the RK incisions to be crossed.

flag | Submitted December 9, 2014

If you have had a previous RK surgery and now need cataract surgery ensure the surgical approach will not cross previous RK incisions. The RK incisions are weak and the new incision that crosses them my cause irreversible damage to your vision. Consult with the best corneal specialists about the safest approach to cataract surgery for post RK patients. I have been told by top rated corneal specialists in Toronto that RK incisions should never be crossed. Do yourself a huge favour and get another consult to gain a full understanding of the risks of post RK cataract surgery and who is best qualified to perform surgery on the most important sense organ of your body.

flag | Submitted November 18, 2014

Had R.K. in 1991. Dr. Karas was difficult to understand in regards to prescriptions especially. My vision was good for about 10 years but now I am in a terrible mess. My vision fluctuates from bad to worse. Removing cataracts was necessary and happily Dr. Nixon removed them despite 16 slits in one eye and 8 in the other. Thank Goodness reading glasses allow me to read but using the computer etc is difficult. My house and property aren't always that clean because of my vision. Had I known this would happen, I would gladly have worn pop bottles. Some doctors shouldn't "practice".

flag | Submitted May 16, 2014

flag | Submitted May 2, 2014

I had rk surgery with dr. Karas in 1992. He promised my vision will be excellent for rest of my life. I asked him if I might have some complications later on in my life. He said NO!! He took my glasses as his trophy and used my case on seminars all over North America. After 5 years my vision went down. He blamed me because he said I was rubbing my eyes-not true!!! Now 22 years later my eyes are in terrible shape because of that rk surgery. I have incisions in my eyes and one of them is ruptured. I have problem to see, and I can't get proper glasses. My life is upside down and I'm suffering depressions because of that. Doctor Karas NEVER warned me about possible side effects, he said I will be fine and I believed him and now I have to pay price for it. I believe dr. Karas knew about side effects of that surgery but he didn't tell me that. I am very disappointed with dr. Karas and I believe he lied to me on few occasions. HE RUINED MY LIFE. Avoid Karas Vision Centre it's not honest place

flag | Submitted March 22, 2014