Ratings for Dr. David McMullen

I have seen this doctor for over 7 years and if I could summarize his personality in one word it’s a BULLY! David Mcmullen is all about writing multiple prescriptions until you are so drugged up you do not feel like yourself. His God complex is off the charts. Beware of this egomaniac as your doctor he will make you feel belittled and eternally sick. You will feel forever committed to him and his prescription pad . His idea of treating a patient for mental health issues is from 20 years ago. He has no knowledge of up-and-coming treatments. He only knows pills! You have a choice and you do have options. Do not get caught up in his dogma and him muddling around his office writing you endless prescriptions. This guy is ready for retirement.

flag | Submitted February 21, 2018

Went to him for eight years. Had me convinced I was manic 2. Had me on so much med I had trouble walking in morning. My family doctor prescribed me some med to quit smoking. Mcmu llen had earlier suggested it but when I told him my family doctor prescribed it he freaked. I have never seen such unprofessionalism. I felt betrayed. Since then I have found out through another doctor I have been on way to much of a cocktail. I no longer feel like a zombie. I just hope I have not suffered long term damage. Be careful of this doctor

flag | Submitted January 11, 2018

As is the recurring theme in these reviews Dr. McMullen met with me once, for an hour, and declared i was bipolar. I did not believe he had enough information to make this diagnosis but at the time i was in a deep depression brought on by a 3 year custody battle with a narcissist who was harming our child. The antidepressants i was on for 15 years failed as happens with the ‘petering out effect’ and i requested my GP refer me for an assessment with a professional, thinking my health would be better served if i dealt with a specialist. Instead this man caused me so much harm and negatively affected my health for years to come. This diagnosis was not only wrong it was scary because i was in a custody battle. He could have cost me custody of my child altogether if my ex had found out. Instead his ‘care’ just cost me my job as i was an even bigger mess under his ‘care’. I had to take a year off and went into serious debt to do so. All because he insisted i go off of the antidepressants altogether and strickly take lithium for the ‘bipolar disorder’ he’d diagnosed. After 3-4 months off my anti-depressants i was in worse shape than i had ever been and I went back to him and requested to be put back on the antidepressants. My request was met with contempt and EXTREME self defensiveness and he actually said “I AM THE DOCTOR HERE! I WILL PRESCRIBE IT FOR YOU THIS TIME BUT I WILL REFUSE TO SEE YOU AGAIN IF YOU EVER QUESTION MY DIAGNOSIS!” That was it for me. I left that day and never returned. I changed doctors and i later learnt that he is widely known in his field to be the guy that diagnosis’ EVERYONE with bipolar. He is a mentally ill person’s worst nightmare UNLESS of course you HAPPEN TO ACTUALLY BE BIPOLAR. It has been over 5 years since i left his practice and the long term effects of being on medication i shouldn’t have been on continue to have ramifications on my health to this day. It was disgusting how condescending & argumentative he was with me when i was at my lowest. I have since been assesed by 2 other psychiatrists and they both found i am NOT bipolar. Your health is yours to protect and monitor. If it doesn’t seem right or the meds are not working you have every right to ask for change. Dr. McMullen is the kind of doctor that will bully you into accepting his medical opinion & won’t ALLOW you to be involved in your own care. BE WARY & if at all possible request a referral to ANYONE BUT HIM.

flag | Submitted January 4, 2018

Dr McMullen is recognized as being very knowledgeable about medications, but is what, in the "trade" is sometimes called an "affect-o-phile" -- he believes affective disorders, specifically of the bipolar variety, are much more common than the literature acknowledges. Has he ever met a patient, or anyone else that he couldn't diagnose as bipolar? Unfortunately, many people who no one would agree with are diagnosed as bipolar and, predictably, they do not respond well to treatment. For them it's a hop, skip, and a jump through increasingly intrusive treatments invariably ending up at ECT. When he gets it right, I'm sure he's very helpful. When he gets it wrong, he doesn't see it, and he scares patients in efforts to "help" them to comply with his vision of things. His frequently contemptuous attitude has won him many critics among his patients and professional colleagues alike.

flag | Submitted November 23, 2017

Was Dr.Mcmullens patient after his residency at Foothills, was just a pill pusher then couldn't take it, he also carried a smug better than though attitude. Fired Him!

flag | Submitted September 26, 2017

Best Dr ever. He has saved my life. He has a great personality. He is willing to take risks, try new things when they become available. He is always up to date on new medications and treatments.

flag | Submitted August 27, 2017

After 16 years of struggling with what was originally diagnosed as depression, I was referred to Doctor McMullen by a physician who happens to be a friend. I had recently suffered a period of serious depression with increasing suicidality. My low point was being hospitalized in the foothills psychiatric unit for a period of time and being completely misdiagnosed by a medical professional who shall go unnamed but whom should likely be hauled in front of the Alberta College of Physicians and surgeons for malpractice. In my 1st meeting with Doctor McMullen we were able to come up with a working diagnosis of bipolar to with co- morbid depression. In retrospect it is clear that I have been attempting to deal with bipolar all of my adult life. In spite of the best intentions of the other medical and psychological caregivers who have tried to help me throughout my life, not one of them was able to properly diagnose me and then subsequently help me to the extent that Doctor McMullen has. His "bedside manner" is straightforward, sometimes bordering on blunt however in my experience, he is an extremely dedicated professional who appears to care deeply about his patients. He has gone out of his way to call me after hours to ensure my safety and well-being. There is no question that Doctor McMullen saved my life. I have recently commenced the rTMS Therapy available through his clinic and the results to date are very encouraging.

flag | Submitted September 5, 2016

EXTREMELY STUPID MAN! CANNOT WRITE A PROPER LETTER ABOUT MY DIAGNOSIS. WOULD NOT FOLLOW UP AND CORRECT HIS ERRORS! IM AMAZED THAT A MAN LIE THIS WHO MAKES SO MANY ERRORS IN HIS REPORTS IS STILL PRACTICING! HE HAS PROBABLY MISTAKINGLY DIAGNOSED TONS OF PPL!

Submitted December 14, 2015

The human body is a machine. If you have a mood disorder, you need a mechanic. This is Dr McMullen's forte. His sweet spot is reading where you may have treatable physical symptoms, and treating them as best he can with the right chemical cocktail. This is not an exact science. Those who expect otherwise are bound to be disappointed by him, and life in general. He is not a psychologist - if you need that form of therapy, get one.

flag | Submitted September 16, 2015

I got referred to this Doctor because he specialized in BiPolars. Sadly, his mandate is to Pharmicutally Straight jack patients, Dr. Seroquel, richly rewarded by the Alberta Health Care system saving money on hospital stays, and the drug companies with holiday junkets to Mexico, Golf Holidays and huge Ego. I lost 2 years under his care (ie agenda) my weight ballooned and I was a zombie - STAY AWAY FROM THIS OFFICE!!! Check out other Doctors, go to BiPolar Support meetings (OBAD), seriously, his "waiting room is like a narrow corridor with patients lining the walls hoping to be seen eventually only to be whisked in and out within 10 minutes, don't dare ask the uppity English receptionist when you'll be seen, how he rates #9 in Calgary must be his Alumni/Drug Companies voted .. Now I have a wonderful old school Doctor which equals a fully functioning life and am not 100 lbs overweight any more - don't buy into his B.S., he is a "Time Robber". Don't stop looking for the right Dr for you!

flag | Submitted June 18, 2015