Ratings for Dr. David McMullen

Dr McMullen is recognized as being very knowledgeable about medications, but is what, in the "trade" is sometimes called an "affect-o-phile" -- he believes affective disorders, specifically of the bipolar variety, are much more common than the literature acknowledges. Has he ever met a patient, or anyone else that he couldn't diagnose as bipolar? Unfortunately, many people who no one would agree with are diagnosed as bipolar and, predictably, they do not respond well to treatment. For them it's a hop, skip, and a jump through increasingly intrusive treatments invariably ending up at ECT. When he gets it right, I'm sure he's very helpful. When he gets it wrong, he doesn't see it, and he scares patients in efforts to "help" them to comply with his vision of things. His frequently contemptuous attitude has won him many critics among his patients and professional colleagues alike.

flag | Submitted November 23, 2017

Was Dr.Mcmullens patient after his residency at Foothills, was just a pill pusher then couldn't take it, he also carried a smug better than though attitude. Fired Him!

flag | Submitted September 26, 2017

Best Dr ever. He has saved my life. He has a great personality. He is willing to take risks, try new things when they become available. He is always up to date on new medications and treatments.

flag | Submitted August 27, 2017

After 16 years of struggling with what was originally diagnosed as depression, I was referred to Doctor McMullen by a physician who happens to be a friend. I had recently suffered a period of serious depression with increasing suicidality. My low point was being hospitalized in the foothills psychiatric unit for a period of time and being completely misdiagnosed by a medical professional who shall go unnamed but whom should likely be hauled in front of the Alberta College of Physicians and surgeons for malpractice. In my 1st meeting with Doctor McMullen we were able to come up with a working diagnosis of bipolar to with co- morbid depression. In retrospect it is clear that I have been attempting to deal with bipolar all of my adult life. In spite of the best intentions of the other medical and psychological caregivers who have tried to help me throughout my life, not one of them was able to properly diagnose me and then subsequently help me to the extent that Doctor McMullen has. His "bedside manner" is straightforward, sometimes bordering on blunt however in my experience, he is an extremely dedicated professional who appears to care deeply about his patients. He has gone out of his way to call me after hours to ensure my safety and well-being. There is no question that Doctor McMullen saved my life. I have recently commenced the rTMS Therapy available through his clinic and the results to date are very encouraging.

flag | Submitted September 5, 2016

EXTREMELY STUPID MAN! CANNOT WRITE A PROPER LETTER ABOUT MY DIAGNOSIS. WOULD NOT FOLLOW UP AND CORRECT HIS ERRORS! IM AMAZED THAT A MAN LIE THIS WHO MAKES SO MANY ERRORS IN HIS REPORTS IS STILL PRACTICING! HE HAS PROBABLY MISTAKINGLY DIAGNOSED TONS OF PPL!

Submitted December 14, 2015

The human body is a machine. If you have a mood disorder, you need a mechanic. This is Dr McMullen's forte. His sweet spot is reading where you may have treatable physical symptoms, and treating them as best he can with the right chemical cocktail. This is not an exact science. Those who expect otherwise are bound to be disappointed by him, and life in general. He is not a psychologist - if you need that form of therapy, get one.

flag | Submitted September 16, 2015

I got referred to this Doctor because he specialized in BiPolars. Sadly, his mandate is to Pharmicutally Straight jack patients, Dr. Seroquel, richly rewarded by the Alberta Health Care system saving money on hospital stays, and the drug companies with holiday junkets to Mexico, Golf Holidays and huge Ego. I lost 2 years under his care (ie agenda) my weight ballooned and I was a zombie - STAY AWAY FROM THIS OFFICE!!! Check out other Doctors, go to BiPolar Support meetings (OBAD), seriously, his "waiting room is like a narrow corridor with patients lining the walls hoping to be seen eventually only to be whisked in and out within 10 minutes, don't dare ask the uppity English receptionist when you'll be seen, how he rates #9 in Calgary must be his Alumni/Drug Companies voted .. Now I have a wonderful old school Doctor which equals a fully functioning life and am not 100 lbs overweight any more - don't buy into his B.S., he is a "Time Robber". Don't stop looking for the right Dr for you!

flag | Submitted June 18, 2015

Dr. McMullen is awesome. Super dedicated to helping you get better- when I had no hope of ever feeling better he assured me there were things we could do and not to give up. He is a no BS type, so some people might find him abrasive, but I appreciate his straightforwardness, and you can also tell he does care about you getting better.

flag | Submitted May 21, 2015

I love Dr McMullen!! He has given me hope when I needed it. He took the time to personally call me when I had a question about medication. He is the best!!

flag | Submitted May 6, 2015

Hello, how can I possibly get an appointment with you?

flag | Submitted March 2, 2015