Ratings for Dr. Abram Hoffer

This doctor did not properly diagnose my condition leading to severe injury

flag | Submitted April 23, 2017

My my! Reading the comments I would swear that we were talking about St. Abram.. well probably not as Honest Abe was Jewish. First, I have no opinion about megavitamin therapy and Dr. Hoffer's use of it. The reason for this is that I have never seen it tested empirically. Despite working with Hoffer's people for decades at EMP I still do not know if it can work. The reason for this is that, while practicing at EMP, Dr. Hoffer not only used megavits in nauseating doses (literally) he also used the rest of the antipsychotic pharmacopoea and more ECT than anyone else in the hospital. Nurses used to joke about his needing a separate meter from Hydro. Yep.. he surely did preach a good line and maybe Megavitamin thaerapy might work. But it could never be tested the way Dr. Hoffer practiced it.

flag | Submitted October 24, 2015

Dr. Offer died years ago. Really funny that a dead doc is rated one of the top in the city. Says TONS about the validity of RateMD services.

flag | Submitted January 23, 2015

This doctor seemed so nice at first. Diagnosed with Paranoid Schizophrenia he had answers for me, so I thought. He made me take mega doses of vitamins that made me throw up for months. I would call an ambulance in the middle of the night. I was toxic and this did not help my having already had liver disease. I would have still liked him if he hadn't done what he did on our last visit together. I arrived at my appointment only 5 minutes late. The fault was not mine but that the bus which stops right in front of his office was late. Upon coming into his office he stood up and yelled loudly at me. He acted as if I was causing trouble.I am a very meek quiet and humbly paranoid person. I do not have outburts. He told me never to come back again! Simply because I was late 5 minutes.His book gave me hope and his tranquilizers and antipscycotics were helping me.I would go back to see him if he would not have done that to me. I wonder if he was upset that his toxic therapy didn't work on me?

flag | Submitted November 18, 2008

This wonderful man is the reason I have had quality of life and mobility for so long. When the neurologists told me I had to learn to live with my condition, Dr. Hoffer offered another way through nutrition. His reasoning was that the body can heal most things when given the right tools. It worked! Dr. Hoffer practiced this emerging medicine years before the idea was embraced by mainstream practitioners. Thank you, Dr. Hoffer!

flag | Submitted October 29, 2008

Dr. Hoffer is one of the most gentle, knowledgeable and patient doctors I know of.

flag | Submitted June 25, 2008

Dr. Hoffer is a kind, wonderful person. He helped my husband thru cancer. He gave us hope when the oncologist didn't. We both owe him more thanks than we can possibly say. We were fortunate to have the opportunity to meet. Good bless you Dr. Hoffer.

flag | Submitted May 18, 2007

He's kind and caring but a quack. People who lean towards his type of care love him but there is no scientific proof that any of his treatments work. Unfortunately there will always be people who are guiled into useless treatments. Placebo often works just as well as some prescription drugs and Dr. Hoffer has figured that out and made a living off of that knowledge. He's an old man now and probably rather harmless (I hope). He's seen a lot of people and I think he's endeared himself to that minority of people who want to believe that prescription medications are evil.

flag | Submitted May 18, 2007

What can you say about a man who has worked his whole life brilliantly to make people well? A man who has worked on the frontiers of medicine, who has been the colleagure of some of the great physician-scientists of the twentieth century, including double Nobel laureate Linus Pauling? It is an honour just to have contact with this incredible human being, and his knowledge is immense. Using his knowledge along with the advice of your regular family physician, you cannot be in better hands. People in Victoria don't realize the incredible opportunity they have. People anywhere in Canada who can possibly make the trip to his office should do so. No matter what the state of one's health, Dr. Hoffer's vast knowledge and experience has huge advantages for anyone. What a gift he is!

flag | Submitted May 13, 2007

First Doctor that practices what he preaches!! 80+ years young, he works 4 days a week and looks many years younger! Very knowledgable about mental and physical health and believes mega vitamins can be used in place of or in conjunction with prescription medication along with dietary changes. Helped my daughter get well and stay well! His assistant Fran is also a HUGE help with any and all questions. She also practices what they preach and looks 20 years younger than her age! Make the trip over to the Island if you want an expert, you will receive more than your monies worth!!

flag | Submitted April 25, 2007