Dr. Marc Engfield

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Marc Engfield

I don’t think it’s hyperbolic to say that Dr. Engfield saved my son’s life. My son had been very ill for over a year and a half when he saw Dr. Engfield. He had to drop out of high school because he was so sick. The doctor knew just by looking at him what was wrong with my son - thyroid disease - and ordered the in depth blood tests (and interpreted them correctly), right away. My son had seen 2 specialists at CHEO who could not figure out what was wrong with him, as well as several psychologists, and paediatric specialists who couldn’t figure it out either and put him on anti-depressants instead. Now, 2 years after my son first saw Dr. Engfield he is back in school and healthy again. I give 100% of the credit to the doctor for this. Also important is that Dr. Engfield is the first doctor that truly showed my son and I empathy. I burst into tears in his office because I finally found a doctor who got it. I’ve recommended him to 3 other people, and they’ve all received the help they needed and are very happy. We did always have to wait for our appointments, but on the flip side, we were never rushed and got all the time we needed to be properly cared for.

flag | Submitted February 22, 2018

I saw Dr. Engfield three years ago when he had a hormone practice in Wakefield. At the time I was just starting to have symptoms of approaching menopause including insomnia, weight gain and mood swings. He prescribed what I now know to be excessive amounts of progesterone. When my insomnia did not improve, he continued to increase the dosage to 1,000 mg! This caused multiple side effects including weight gain of 30 pounds in two years, even though my weight had been stable for many years before I started seeing him. I later learned that the main reason for my insomnia was a circadian rhythm disorder. I am now seeing a functional medicine doctor who has a much better understanding of hormones and is more conservative in her approach, taking the time to retest my hormone levels before changing the dosage. I agree with the other reviewers that Dr. Engfield is a fraud and should not be allowed to practice medicine. He has caused much pain and suffering.

flag | Submitted December 15, 2017

Some time ago, my family physician referred me to the CPM Pain Management Clinic in Ottawa East (Terminal Avenue, Trainwards). From the very beginning, my physician, Doctor Marc Engfield MD FRCP, has been compassionate, supportive and helpful. Dedicated to his medical profession, Doctor Engfield is a remarkable listener who will go above and beyond to find an appropriate solution for his patients. Evidently, he will take the time necessary to answer all your questions in detail. His zealous determination in finding a solution for your health problem is EXCEPTIONAL. Your well-being is most important to him and as a patient, I must say that his guidance and his expertise in pain management have helped me in staying hopeful and positive! From the start, he encouraged me to choose alternative treatments as opposed to prescribing pain medication and this, I truly appreciated. Doctor Engfield, you have been a blessing in my life and I truly appreciate your dedicated care and compassion. Indisputably, you are an amazing pain specialist and I wholeheartedly want to THANK YOU for being the concerned and compassionate human being that you are. I will be forever indebted to you for your exceptional care.

flag | Submitted October 13, 2017

I have been a patient of Dr Engfield's for many years for pain management. He works 4 days a week, not 2.5 days a week. I have had to wait at times, but NOT 2 hours. BUT there have been occasions too where I have come to his office in severe pain and my own appts were extended to 20 minutes or more because he took the time that was needed to suppress my pain. I would rather wait a little bit because I know this doctor is not rushing people out of the office so that he can be paid to see as many people as he can in a day. Also, as an RN, ( I have never worked with Dr Engfield professionally), I have worked with countless of physicians and I can say that Dr Engfield has a heart for people that not all doctors have.

flag | Submitted August 16, 2017

My experience as a patient with Dr Engfield was not good. He smiles and nods and pretends to listen but he isn't. He is a fraud! You are taking your life in your hands with him. He has no clue what he is doing. At first the medications were helpful , he kept increasing my pain pills to a point where its not therapeutic anymore, its doing more harm than good. That's why he is under disciplinary action....check for yourself on the college if physician and surgeons website. He needs to be supervised at all times due to inappropriate behavior, and over prescribing. He literally need a babysitter at work to make sure he is not going to hurt the public . wow that must have put a damper on his huge ego. If he did less flirting and more work maybe he would be a more productive , better doctor. His staff are rude.the receptionist can't even answer the phone to make an appointment, out of frustration after calling for two days with no answer I had to drive there to make an appointment. Makemsure you get the first appointment in the morning or after lunch or you will be waiting at least two hours to see him. He has no respect for your time. He works two days a week so he has to triple book and cram as many patients as he can so he can get paid. He prob has to pay for the supervisor which is supervising him too , or else he would lose his licence. Dr Engfield is in the wrong profession, he should be an actor, because that smile he has on is fake. He is Jekyll and Hyde, one minute he is all smiles, then the next he is in his office swearing his face off . patient confidentiality is non existant with him, he often complains of other patients to me, so it makes me wonder what he is saying about me. I think he is the worst doctor ever , I wish I never let him increase my meds to thses levels, I guess its his fault I'm now addicted ....yay.....I read many negative remarks about Dr Engfield and for some reason they are all deleted. I wonder why that is. I bet they will erase this one too. Go for it, I will just repost another one. Everyone should know the truth and what they are in for with him.

flag | Submitted August 11, 2017

Sad to think that people suffering chronic pain are dependent upon a doctor who fails to respect people's time. I have had appointments that were more than an hour and a half behind schedule. More than an hour behind schedule is routine in his office. I value my time. Apparently the GREAT Dr. Engfield feels he is more important than his patients. He should learn about respecting other people's time and the efforts they make to get to get to an appointment on time. I will be seeking another doctor which I know will not be easy. But, I have had my fill of his attitude.

Submitted July 12, 2017

I saw Dr. Engfield 12 years ago in the Hull (Gatineau) emergency. I was hospitalised for an acute pencreantitis at 19. He has been so curious about my case since about 1, I was very Young for an acute pencreantitis, but also because what was causing it was my triglycerides that were at 42 (normal is Under 1.8). He was very kind, he tried very hard to speak to me in french even after I told him it was ok for him to speak to me in English. He also kept bending over in half (considering how tall he is) to speak to me since I could not sit up in my bed because of the pain and I was on pretty strong pain killers. When I was doing a bit better, he brought me a whole bunch of documentation on what to do to minimise my chances of having another acute pancreatitis. I thought he was very compassionate and I really appreciated all the care he gave me.

flag | Submitted May 3, 2017

I saw Dr. Engfield for approximately a year and a half. In that time he kept upping my pain medication, opiods, to an astronomical amount. When I got habituated to the drugs, he kicked me out of his practice without even hearing what my experience was. He has I'm God syndrome, does not take ANY responsibility for his role in getting people addicted to opiods. I have now been working for 2 years to recover from this awful experience. He is, like someone said, a drug pusher , with a medical licence. I guess he's left the pain treatment field, by looking at this post. I wish I never saw this Dr. ..worst experience of my life.

flag | Submitted April 23, 2017

Really nice person and great doctor.Would recommend him to anyone suffering from chronic pain. He goes above and beyond what is required to try and help patients.

flag | Submitted March 20, 2017

I have been a patient of Dr. Engfield to a few years for chronic pain and am going to echo what most here have sai. He is a kind doctor who truly wants his patients to succeed. Even when we have had a conflict of opinion, he always look time to listen and give thoughtful, gentle feedback. I gave 4 for punctuality because appointments are sometimes a little late, but I that is because he is so invested in his patients and spends time to answer questions and

flag | Submitted March 12, 2017