Ratings for Dr. Daniel Selchen

Great doctor, low key but very professional. He is worth the wait when schedules go crazy. Would highly recommend this doctor.

flag | Submitted October 18, 2017

The reviews below prepared us well for our initial meeting with Dr Selchen. The resident who did intake was super personable, and yeah, Dr Selchen is a bit of a mad scientist type - which is exactly what you want from a neurologist. Sure, he talks tech with the resident while you're in the room, but you can google that stuff later (take notes!), and yeah, his office is messy, but he can find anything in that stack of files within seconds. He's a quirky einstein-y kinda guy with a dry sense of humour. His style worked for us, but sure, it might not work for everyone. Basically - read every review on these pages: individually, they're meaningless, but in aggregate, they give you a good sense of what to expect from Dr. Selchen.

flag | Submitted June 9, 2017

Dr. Selchen became my doctor after Dr O'Connor (who had been my doctor for over a debate) retired. I used to have regular check-ups (each 6 months) and MRIs (annually) in addition to symptom-specific checkups and MRIs. In the last 2 years, Dr Selchen has only scheduled one checkup and no MRIs. He was tardy for the checkup and instead of speaking to me, she spoke to his resident. I was hardly a bystander. The appointment lasted mere minutes.

flag | Submitted March 6, 2017

Dr. Selchen has the messiest office I have ever seen, but he knew where things were. I asked my GP to refer me to him. I really liked his manner and sense of humour. There wasn't really that much he could do, other than what had already been done. I feel he is very well qualified.

flag | Submitted July 19, 2016

I have been a patient of Dr. Selchen since 1998. I feel like he has been by my side through it all, from the very beginning when I refused to believe I had MS to now, when there is no denying it. His office can be messy, he can be sometime a bit vague in his answers but he is extremely knowledgeable and intelligent. He has the right connections to get you fast MRIs and he knows everything there is to know about a disease that is still quite a mystery. He certainly knows my name, knows about my family and always remembers the important facts he needs to know about my case. He got me on the right medication and when I have an attack I can always count on him and his staff. He is a very good specialist.

flag | Submitted October 18, 2015

Dismissive, and inattentive. I have been to three appointments with Dr Selchen at the MS Clinic over the past year and a half. My time with Selchen was very short, and none of my questions were answered. He switched my medication and would not try to explain why. (I'm checking to see if this has to do with the drug company funding him.) He did not check to see if I understood anything that he was telling me, and he didn't address the questions I put forward to his staff. He gave me new medication for pain, but didn't tell me anything about it. He just said "Here, try this. Call the nurse in few weeks and let her know if it works." The treatment I have received had made me feel very down. I would have felt better if I had missed the appointment.

flag | Submitted September 22, 2015

I was treated with such a dismissive attitude. Absolute lack of emotion, lack of organization, lack of knowledge too. It took me months to get over that appointment. He didn't know where my file was, seemed very agitated, confused. Was very cold hearted, rude. We waited over an hour only to be treated very badly. I am the patient. YOU actually work for ME! You act as if I'm an annoyance when I was perfectly polite & respectful. He was very rude & disrespectful. I have a serious illness, I felt so much sicker after that appt because of him.

flag | Submitted July 16, 2015

He is a great caring doctor. After reading some reviews with their dislike for him, I understand. We the patient suffering from a mysterious disease, frustrating us that one day we can hike with our family to the simply next day making it impossible to move out of bed to put socks on. We won't answers and become normal again and thinking he can help us as if it like soar that, but he isn't. He is a doctor who took his time to educate himself becoming a doctor and trys to help his patients to live a better life. Oh the only reason y he doesn't get 5 in punctuality is because nobody is perfect he does come late sometimes....like come on traffic woke up late he is human

flag | Submitted July 10, 2015

I've been seeing Dr. Selchen since my MS diagnosis in December 2013. If you are lucky enough to have him as your neurologist, please consider yourself so. It's important to understand the job of a neurologist before going in to see one. Their job is to diagnose, to understand your particular disease, to help modify your disease so that you can enjoy a better quality of life with less relapses, and to refer you to people who can do the things they don't have time for. Dr. Selchen does these things brilliantly. He has been nothing but kind and compassionate to me. I've cried in his office, I've brought my long list of questions and had them answered, I've had him show me my MRIs on his computer (BTW, someone buy him a better computer!). He truly is brilliant and I have been referred to some amazing drs who've helped me in ways he can't. He is busy, and never on time. Plan for at least an hour before seeing him after your appt time. But ignore the haters and have a positive outlook before your first appt, because he does care and knows his stuff (to say the least).

flag | Submitted June 12, 2015

I've been a patient of Dr. Selchin's for about 3 years. Personally I think he is great! But I can see why people get upset with him. He doesn't answer your questions because he does't have any answers. He works in a field where he can't tell you what is going to happen because he doesn't know. Especially when it comes to diseases like MS, which is unpredictable at best, he really can't tell you what's going to happen. Yes, his office is a mess, and he may be somewhat disorganized at times, but guess what... he is a brilliant man and is genuinely trying to help his patients. If it wasn't for him I wouldn't be able to afford to get my medication that I need, nor the health care that I am getting. Specialists like him don't have bed side manners or organizational skills. Brilliant minds don't work like that.

flag | Submitted December 30, 2014