Ratings for Dr. Michael R. Van Allen

He is all business. He doesn't waste your time. His staff is very professional. If I should ever require hand surgery again, he's the doctor I'M going to see.

flag | Submitted November 26, 2016

i love this doctor!!!!!!!! he rocks and is awesome. highly recommend. he fixed my hand in a jiffy

flag | Submitted January 17, 2016

Wonderful doctor. Kind. Answered all of my questions and helped me to better understand my diagnosis. Surgery was successful and I was very comfortable. Staff is a bit rude. Doctor Van Allen has a great reputation for a reason. He is not the most social but I realize that my hand being fixed is what is important!!

flag | Submitted April 22, 2015

I canceled tomorrow's surgery for trigger finger today when I discovered accidentally that I would be given general anesthesia for a 10 minute procedure that I have had twice before on different fingers, with local anesthesia. No consideration was given or even asked for about my previous problems with my blood pressure after general anesthesia. I was not contacted by the surgical center until today concerning my medications or prep for the surgery. When they told me to stop taking aspiring and fish oil because they promote bleeding, I reminded them that the surgery was tomorrow. I called Dr. Van Allen's office and was told that he only does surgery under general anesthesia. I have called off the surgery and found another doctor who considers individual differences in patients before he operates. I will not be seeing Dr. Van Allen again.

flag | Submitted April 14, 2015

For my thumb jt surgery I give him 5 stars. but went back with a new problem and he was rushed and misdiagnosed it. had a 2nd opion an it was just trigger finger. So had new Dr inject it. Dr V thought problem was RA in knuckle. Never even check for it to be something else. Staff is horrible. Waiting room small an crowded. i did hear front desk lady got fired. Thank goodness.

flag | Submitted December 17, 2014

I had surgery & Dr Van Allen never checked in post surgery, probably because he is always so hurried. I was experiencing burning pain off incision site for 1 week. I called the office twice & was told by office staff that it was "normal". When bandage was removed, there was an abrasion wound from the stiff material in bandage. Now I have a PERMANENT SCAR there. Made appointment to address that & was told nonchalantly to apply vitamin E oil.

flag | Submitted July 7, 2014

He knows what he is doing, surgically. However, I always felt like I was getting the 'bum's rush' during appointments. Twice, when asking for clarification on something he told me, he said, 'What did I just say?' instead of helping me understand. Receptionist is short-tempered and almost rude. I have had a few surgeries and have never had a doctor NOT come in the recovery room to check on me/tell me how the surgery went, and he did neither. Also, neither he or his office staff ever called after the surgery to check on me. But he did fix my problem and is an excellent surgeon. He will most likely correct your malady but don't expect anything but the bare minimum and to feel like anything but another number.

flag | Submitted January 5, 2013

Excellent doctor. Have spent years in pain,other docs couldnt figure out the problem. He diagnosed me quickly and now I am pain free after surgery!

flag | Submitted September 16, 2011

This guy is very unknowledgeable.When I asked him questions about carpul tunnel he actually said I don't know. I have had carpul tunnel for many years and he acted like he didn't believe me. I am having carpul tunnel surgery on both hands next month with a fantastic doctor.

flag | Submitted August 20, 2011

My problem (trigger finger) is pretty minor. Dr. Van Allen performed my surgery quickly, effectively, and left almost no scar. My only quibble is that I understood I was going to be sedated and only once I was at the sugicenter did I find that I was going to be completely knocked-out.

flag | Submitted July 28, 2009

Dr. Michael R. Van Allen's Credentials

• OREGON HEALTH SCIENCES UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF MEDICINE (Grad. 1986)

Top Hospitals in Tualatin, OR