Ratings for Dr. Apostol Tountas

Dr Tountas may be a good surgeon, but I have not seen it yet. He tells you what he wants to do, hurries through the appt that I waited an extra 1.5 hrs after my approach for. Without any warning he pressed on the affected area of my footime and left me in tremendous pain. He then returned with a needle and injected it into my heel. He said that went better than I thought as I heaving in pain and walked out without saying anything than see me in 3 weeks. I was so much pain I couldn't walk, and when I asked for ice I was told that the fracture clinic at humber river didn't have one. I had to rely on the kindness of a visitor to get me ice after I was left in unbelievable pain.

flag | Submitted October 13, 2017

In June of 2013, I had a surgical procedure to remove the bunions from both of my feet at the same time. My feet did not heal quickly. In fact, by January of 2014, it was obvious that there were negative consequences as a result of the surgery. Both feet had pins out of place causing excruciating pain in the left foot (which originally had been the better of my two feet). Dr. Tountas finally admitted in March of 2014 that the surgery was not successful. I was told by him that I was one of 5% of patients who require a much more extensive surgery on both feet. In the meantime, he volunteered to remove the pins causing the pain in my left foot in the following months providing his surgical schedule permitted. At this point , I refused to even consider letting him go anywhere near my feet again. For the next 3 years, my family doctor attempted to get me an appointment with another surgeon specializing in foot surgery. Three years later, I got an appointment with an orthopaedic surgeon who agreed to look at my case. This surgeon finally referred me to another surgeon who specialized in foot surgery when he realized that he could not help me. Finally, after waiting another 8 months to see the foot surgeon, I found a surgeon who would consider doing corrective surgery on me, one foot at a time, provided my health was good. His surgical waiting period is in the one year plus range. The foot surgeon’s assessment in the simplest terms outlined that both my feet had experienced a collapse of my upper foot bone structure. On the left foot, all my toes are twisted and are out of alignment while on the right foot, the toes are partially misaligned. The arches on both of my feet have collapsed. As the year’s pass, the deterioration continues. It does not stop. The final negative of this experience was the excruciating pain I was having in my right knee over the last 3 years. After finding a surgeon who would address my foot problems and reconstructive surgery, I had to delay the surgery to have a partial knee replacement by another surgeon referred to me by my foot surgeon. Following a wait of almost a year, I have just recently had the knee surgery and I can now get myself reinstated on the waiting list for corrective foot surgery. When I think of Dr. Tountas, I see “red”. In order to ensure that I can finally get my feet fixed, I have to forgo any chance of lodging a complaint or seeking any kind of accountability from Dr. Tountas for the results of his failed surgery on my feet. If I did pursue this avenue, it could hurt my chances of getting the reconstructive foot surgery I so badly need. I have learned over the last four plus years that doctors will sympathize privately with you and outline the surgical requirements needed and discuss the negatives of the original surgeries, however, publicly, they will not speak out against of one of their own profession and most will refuse surgically to correct the errors of their colleagues. It is so sad that because of secrecy within the medical community, bad doctors will continue to cause ongoing pain and suffering for more and more unsuspecting patients. I do not know if Dr. Tountas is still practising but I highly recommend to any possible patients to stay away from him. He is bad news.

flag | Submitted October 11, 2017

Unable to give me assesment, that's not professional. I have spent time going to his offiece for nothing, /// poor manners, including the secretary is very rude on the phone.

flag | Submitted November 23, 2016

Refuses to acknowledge MRI, Ct Scan, xrays, etc and what they actually list as problem. Problem fracture has turned into infection and he still refuses to take action. I'm now going elsewhere and will require more work ...PS--poor bed side manners in addition to patronizing

flag | Submitted May 24, 2016

Dr. Tountas is definitely a foot Dr. but a Great one, makes no difference what your problem is he will definitely figure it out and fix it.

flag | Submitted November 25, 2015

The doctor is a great surgeon. Granted, if you don't ask questions (which he will gladly answer) you won't be happy with him. I listed all my questions on a piece of paper so I wouldn't forget anything and he answered them all - even asked me for more! It's been 5 months, my scar is barely visible and I've worn heels to my first wedding reception in 25 years. They told me at the initial interview 'he loves feet' and yes he does. Outstanding!

flag | Submitted October 19, 2015

Dr Tountas is amazing! After my family doctor told me nothing was wrong with my foot but he would refer me anyways, Dr Tountas spent over a hour with me during my first appointment and explained what our plan was going too be. After spending a few months in a air cast and realizing the issue was getting worst, he finally sent me for a MRI that showed 2 cyst on top of my foot and explained what my options were. His staff are very friendly as well!

flag | Submitted April 29, 2015

Have gone to this Dr for one problem and he would not address it. He saw another problem that he is now fixated on, but all he says is "see you in a month". He has never looked at the file, x-rays or MRI. Never followed up with my family dr. I have spent time going to his office, clinics and paid for parking for 20 minutes of "make another appt in a month". I am still walking around in pain, no distances and weekly physio. What a drain on the system this Dr is. I have now found myself another surgeon! I have had this problem for 9 months and he stated that surgey is needed and asked why I waited so long.

flag | Submitted March 27, 2015

Dr Tountas operated on me- Bunion and Hammer tow, on December 2014. I am very happy with the results. After 3 months I was back to my regular activities and am very pleased with the results!! I am pain free and wearing regular shoes again! He is a very good doctor and very experienced!!! I will definitely go to him again for other orthopedic problems!!!

flag | Submitted February 14, 2015

Fracture clinic appointment for 95 year old hip replacement recipient, 6 weeks post op. All Tountas could talk about was what a great job the surgeon (not him) had done after consulting the post op Xray. He barely looked at the patient, and never laid a finger on her. He didn't ask a thing about her progress, surgical site, nothing. But he was paid for this visit. Totally useless and we won't be doing any more follow up with him. A doctor like this is just a drain on the system. He should be fired.

flag | Submitted February 3, 2015