Ratings for Dr. Apostol Tountas

Saw this doctor at Humber River Hospital. He lied when I first saw him, promising that I'd only be in a cast for 1 week then in a walking boot. When I went back to see him it changed to I'll be wearing it for 4-6 weeks. Went back to see him again after falling and dislocating my toe on the casted foot. I had to tell him multiple times as he had no interest in what I had to say. Finally, when I got him to listen, he looked at my foot and dismissed me saying it's fine even though I've been experiencing pain and discomfort. I'll be spending more time in emerge thanks to him, and definitely will not go back or recommend him to anyone.

flag | Submitted May 16, 2018

He did not even listen to my problem. I am a patient. He keeps on putting his things and words on us. He asked me if I feel ok after injection which he gave last visit cause of my pain in my foot ( rhumititus joint pain) , I said I donot think so that I am feeling good. He write in my report that I am feeling better and asked me to see in a month. Just to follow some exercises . Terrible doctor 😡

flag | Submitted March 27, 2018

Dr A.Tountas is the worst doctor I have came across. Complete lack of communication skills, ignorant, disrespectful and with inflated ego. I would not see him again ever under any conditions. I went to see Dr Tountas regarding the pain and difficulties with walking because of the tendon in my left ankle.   He never looked at the file or x-rays that I brought. He ignored my symptoms , never examined my ankle and order additional 5 x-rays. Afterwords he ordered a CT scan of my ankle. I had to repeat three times that I don’t have pain in the joint of my ankle but that it was a tendon that was causing the pain. He then changed his mind and order MIR to be done.  At the follow up appointment he insisted that it is a problem with AO in my ankle and offer to give me a cortisone injection, which I refused. I was trying to explain that the pain is caused by the tendon, but he kept ignoring me.  I went to another orthopaedic specialist and I was diagnoses with Tendinosis and provided with proper treatment.

flag | Submitted March 19, 2018

This doctor listens to his patients and is compassionate about his work. Have knee problem? I highly recommend this doctor!

flag | Submitted March 19, 2018

I went on jan 31st with severe pain on my heels and he just grabbed the area lefted the room came back with needle and jammed it in and said see you in a month... 2 days later im in more pain then when i went there. After speaking with numerous ppl hes known as the greek butcher i will be getting a new specialists

flag | Submitted February 2, 2018

Does anyone have any comments about recent surgeries or experiences with this doctor - I am due to see him soon. Thank you.

flag | Submitted January 18, 2018

Dr Tountas may be a good surgeon, but I have not seen it yet. He tells you what he wants to do, hurries through the appt that I waited an extra 1.5 hrs after my approach for. Without any warning he pressed on the affected area of my footime and left me in tremendous pain. He then returned with a needle and injected it into my heel. He said that went better than I thought as I heaving in pain and walked out without saying anything than see me in 3 weeks. I was so much pain I couldn't walk, and when I asked for ice I was told that the fracture clinic at humber river didn't have one. I had to rely on the kindness of a visitor to get me ice after I was left in unbelievable pain.

flag | Submitted October 13, 2017

In June of 2013, I had a surgical procedure to remove the bunions from both of my feet at the same time. My feet did not heal quickly. In fact, by January of 2014, it was obvious that there were negative consequences as a result of the surgery. Both feet had pins out of place causing excruciating pain in the left foot (which originally had been the better of my two feet). Dr. Tountas finally admitted in March of 2014 that the surgery was not successful. I was told by him that I was one of 5% of patients who require a much more extensive surgery on both feet. In the meantime, he volunteered to remove the pins causing the pain in my left foot in the following months providing his surgical schedule permitted. At this point , I refused to even consider letting him go anywhere near my feet again. For the next 3 years, my family doctor attempted to get me an appointment with another surgeon specializing in foot surgery. Three years later, I got an appointment with an orthopaedic surgeon who agreed to look at my case. This surgeon finally referred me to another surgeon who specialized in foot surgery when he realized that he could not help me. Finally, after waiting another 8 months to see the foot surgeon, I found a surgeon who would consider doing corrective surgery on me, one foot at a time, provided my health was good. His surgical waiting period is in the one year plus range. The foot surgeon’s assessment in the simplest terms outlined that both my feet had experienced a collapse of my upper foot bone structure. On the left foot, all my toes are twisted and are out of alignment while on the right foot, the toes are partially misaligned. The arches on both of my feet have collapsed. As the year’s pass, the deterioration continues. It does not stop. The final negative of this experience was the excruciating pain I was having in my right knee over the last 3 years. After finding a surgeon who would address my foot problems and reconstructive surgery, I had to delay the surgery to have a partial knee replacement by another surgeon referred to me by my foot surgeon. Following a wait of almost a year, I have just recently had the knee surgery and I can now get myself reinstated on the waiting list for corrective foot surgery. When I think of Dr. Tountas, I see “red”. In order to ensure that I can finally get my feet fixed, I have to forgo any chance of lodging a complaint or seeking any kind of accountability from Dr. Tountas for the results of his failed surgery on my feet. If I did pursue this avenue, it could hurt my chances of getting the reconstructive foot surgery I so badly need. I have learned over the last four plus years that doctors will sympathize privately with you and outline the surgical requirements needed and discuss the negatives of the original surgeries, however, publicly, they will not speak out against of one of their own profession and most will refuse surgically to correct the errors of their colleagues. It is so sad that because of secrecy within the medical community, bad doctors will continue to cause ongoing pain and suffering for more and more unsuspecting patients. I do not know if Dr. Tountas is still practising but I highly recommend to any possible patients to stay away from him. He is bad news.

flag | Submitted October 11, 2017

Unable to give me assesment, that's not professional. I have spent time going to his offiece for nothing, /// poor manners, including the secretary is very rude on the phone.

flag | Submitted November 23, 2016

Refuses to acknowledge MRI, Ct Scan, xrays, etc and what they actually list as problem. Problem fracture has turned into infection and he still refuses to take action. I'm now going elsewhere and will require more work ...PS--poor bed side manners in addition to patronizing

flag | Submitted May 24, 2016