Ratings for Dr. Steven J. Hagen

I saw Dr. Hagen in 2016 for chronic pain symptoms . He is the best at listening to you and REALLY understanding your pain as if he were feeling it to. I have never had a doctor who was so sincere in trying to make such a difficult set of pain problems make sense. I became depressed and he has stuck by my side helping me so kindly thru a very hard time. I recently saw Dr. Hagen and he again listened to my problems vowing not to give up until he finds an answer. this is what I love about him he doesn't make you feel foolish for coming in and trying to explain you situation. He is kind and caring and he makes you feel comfortable like you can tell him anything without judgement. I feel very fortunate and proud to call him my doctor.

flag | Submitted May 13, 2016

I saw Dr. Hagen in 2011 for fatigue & other symptoms. Someone recommended him for chronic conditions, so I booked. I told him "I think there is something wrong with my adrenals or my thyroid". He began a long first visit personal history with me, & at the conclusion, offered me an antidepressant! I told him I am not depressed! He cheordered a few tests (but not enough thyroid tests which is so typical of Doctors & why many of us are still ill after years of seeing Doctors). He looked in my mouth which should have given him a big clue & at the very least he could have offered a referral to an endocrinologist, but that didn't happen. He decided to offer me a cutting edge operation which entailed surgery in my ear canal due to my ear pain & swelling with decreased hearing, which commonly happens with low Thyroid & estrogen hormone issues I've since found. (it only took 5 more years!) His nurse is nice but takes a long time to do things, doesn't multitask in simple things efficiently, & seems overwhelmed. But my biggest issue is with Dr. Hagen is that I practically handed him a diagnosis & he ignored it, then proceeded to write in his notes something that would lead the next Dr. to think I am a hypochondriac. Always request a Physician's notes about your appt, it will tell you how well they listen and understand what you are trying to convey to them especially if it is chronic. It also will tell you what they really think of you so you can decide if you want to keep them as your Doctor. Dr. Hagen it seems, was just being condescending. I had to wait while they set up the other appt, & was late getting back to work. Nurse said "It will just be a few minutes." It took much longer than that, then they found out that my insurance was not accepted by that clinic! They don't have anything at the desk for insurance reference! I wish I hadn't wasted time with this Doctor & this clinic.

flag | Submitted March 4, 2016

"Dr. Hagen is easy to talk to and he listens! And his nurses are the BEST. The only complaint is the location-the clinic is in Appleton and I live in Neenah. But to stay with Dr. Hagen is worth the drive!"-Mary

flag | Submitted January 16, 2013

Dr. Steven J. Hagen's Credentials

• Northwestern University Medical School (Grad. 1992)

AHC