Ratings for Dr. James Edward Ted Massey Young

I'm very happy with is work.Had a surgery one week ago and so far so good. Small scar nicely healing .

flag | Submitted June 25, 2016

He has an amazing sense of humour. He is honest and yes I agree he tells you like it is. He tells you what you don't want to hear but he keeps you alive. I've been his oncology patient for 14 years and I'm still here, thriving and not just surviving, after several surgeries and 2 RAIs, I'm living with cancer and not dying from it. Doctors might run late saving someone else's life, they don't always have time to be your best friend in bedside manners...I definitely would take skill and knowledge vs always having to have a doctor coddle my feelings if they keep me alive to be with family and friends.

flag | Submitted December 10, 2015

I have had my appointments cancelled at least three times and am given very little time or concern for my health when I have been in this Doctors care.

flag | Submitted March 10, 2015

I think he is great! He knows his stuff, the best around. His sense of humour is entertaining. Really happy that I was referred to him! And for a specialist, the wait time isn't that bad.

flag | Submitted February 27, 2015

I think I'd take a skilled surgeon over a guy with great bedside manners any day. Dr. Young tells it like it is which more Doctors should do. He's not trying to be your best friend. He's trying to save your life. And some people are concerned he is late for appointments or is not friendly enough? Really? Tell you what, you go find a Doctor that is really friendly and I'll stick with Dr. Young where you're probably not going to find a better surgeon.

flag | Submitted January 8, 2015

I am 48 hours post op total thyroidectomy, para thyroidectomy, with right sided neck revision for two lymph nodes. I was told by Dr. Young my scar would be 4" and a little to the right. I have an 8" very thick and crooked incision of which the edges have been pinched together and glued, so that they will heal standing straight up instead of even having a chance to lie flat. It is not well approximated in many places. In shock, grief, anger, sadness over this incision that looks as though a mad and evil scientist did it. He sent me home the. same day after 3 hours of surgery. I spent the night in my local ER being treated for low magnesium and uncontrollable pain. Both the ER doctor and nurses shocked at 'day surgery' and the appearance of my incision. Bedside manner terrible but thought it didn't matter because I'd heard he was a good surgeon. Wondering if a resident, who introduced himself to me in the OR, was allowed to practise on me but I didn't sign any consent allowing anyone other than Dr. Young to perform the surgery. I realize scars take a year to heal but this one has been glued to heal in the most lumpy and lopsided and crooked of ways. I'm medical, and this is so glaringly poor. It's shocking, and I'm devastated. It's hard to rate his knowledge, he flat out told me I had cancer and when I quietly she'd a tear I later asked him what the prognosis was and was told completely curable. When I asked why he hadn't told me that he said "you didn't ask". There's more, but I think this is enough to show why I would never ever recommend this surgeon. I will be asking why my incision was dealt with so horribly, but really expect to get nowhere. My family is stunned.

flag | Submitted November 29, 2014

Dr. Young saved my life 33 years ago on June 10, 1980. I have been cancer free since that day. He and his staff guided my wife and I through the most difficult time of our young lives. He was outstanding before, during and after my operation ( front quarter amputation) for which we will be forever grateful. As a side bar Dr Young brought champagne and a cake for our 10th anniversary on June 19th -- this Wednesday will be our 43rd! We love you all.

flag | Submitted June 18, 2013

Just like the previous poster, I too thought my life was at an end in March 2006 when I was diagnosed with esophogeal cancer which if you don't know is one of the deadliest cancers as far as survival rate goes. I will be coming up on my 5th year (May 11th) since my operation and so far so good. I was not impressed with the nursing staff in the ICU at St. Joes as I heard comments like gross and disgusting when some of them left a patient's room. I wonder if they would say the same sort of things if it was them or one of their loved ones recovering from cancer surgery. These patients didn't ask to be here. The operation was very invasive and the recovery long but Dr. Young saved my life so that I could watch my 3 daughters grow up to be a fine young ladies. Dr. Young (the West Wing) fanatic is a doctor who I would recommend to anyone who needs a thoratic specialist.

flag | Submitted April 22, 2011

I just want to say once again; (I'm the guy who posted in 2007 that I have been cancer-free for 10 years); that I am still cancer free. I think about Dr. Young and Dr. Rice and Dr. Toma often and am still very thankful for their skillful attention to my oral cancer. Dr. Young always liked to call me Fred; although my name is Frank; because my last name sounds like Flintstone.I never corrected the great man because, what the heck, he's busy as hell saving lives. He saved mine and judging from the comments on this website; many others. If I won a lottery today; I would donate a million dollars to his hospital for research. A remarkable, caring surgeon.

flag | Submitted February 19, 2011

Dr. Young has been my surgeon for 16 years, performing several surgeries related to thyroid cancer. His skill as a surgeon can only be truly rated by another surgeon but I would, & have, entrusted him with my life. He is very personable & keeps both the patient & family well-informed of the patient's progress. A better surgeon you cannot find! He is often tardy with appointments but when you consider the schedule he keeps, only a superhuman would be on time all the time. He does give each patient all the time they need to feel comfortable with his recommendations & allay any fears they may have.

flag | Submitted August 13, 2010