Ratings for Dr. Peter Faux

I can't say enough good things about Dr. Faux. He is open to talk about medication, rather than just prescribe something and not like it if you mention side effects previously were difficult to deal with. Not very many doctors allow discussion about medication, it's their way or the highway. I went through a horrible time when my family was away on vacation and Dr. Faux was so concerned about me he gave me his personal cell phone number to phone him if I needed during that difficult time. Dr. Faux is the only doctor after 25 years seeking mental health treatment who actually gave me an accurate diagnosis and he was able to do this by taking the time to listen to me and due his vast experience. I spent years not getting accurate treatment because no other therapist of doctor spent the time needed with me to find out what was actually wrong, and I'm 100% confident the diagnosis is accurate. I'd much rather spend an hour in a waiting room and be given an hour appointment with Dr. Faux then get in right away and be given 5 minutes and another prescription with no talk therapy. Dr. Faux has given me excellent tips on combating my conditions, but what he's done more than anything is talked me through my negative thinking. As an example I have told him about a situation I was in and he asked me what I was thinking in that situation, which was "how could I have been so stupid." After talking to Dr. Faux my thinking changed to "I've done quite well considering the situation I was in." Dr. Faux has on many occasions changed my thinking that left me feeling terrible about myself to me realizing how strong I actually am. This by far beats the current cognitive behaviour concept of examining your thinking and finding out what you're doing wrong in my opinion. Whoever made the comment that Dr. Faux's secretary is his wife is mistaken. I have been a patient of Dr. Faux for 10 years and his wife has never been his secretary in that time. Wonderful doctor who I am very, very thankful to have the privilege to be treated by.

flag | Submitted March 24, 2017

I saw this doctor many years ago... He ask me if I had a supportive family, and then prescribes me some medication. The next time I saw the doctor, he didn't hear a word I had to say Pop's peanuts into the air and caught them with his mouth as I talked. When I finished talking, he asked me (yet again!), if I had a supportive family. I was pissed; he asked me questions, but he neglected to write down my answers! Psychiatrists are really good at prescribing medications to regulate different brain chemicals (and Dr. Faux *is* really good at that -- he sure know his drugs & they can affect you; even the unwanted side effects), but if your brain chemistry is okay, yet you are having personal issues, then you need counselling from a psycho-therapist, not a prescription from a medical psychiatric doctor... sadly though, psychotherapist counsellors are not covered by the Ontario health insurance plan... there are, however, a few non-profit agencies that will offer counseling for a subsidised rate, on a sliding scale basis, according to your income.

flag | Submitted September 1, 2016

Dr. Faux is very kind, helpful, knowledgeable and always there when I've needed him. I trust him with my life. Hr is very intelligent & this especially shows when he doesn't know the answer. If he doesn't know he admits it & then finds the answer.

flag | Submitted December 5, 2015

He has helped me through some very dark times. He was a great advocate for me during a big litigation. Do not know where I would be without him.

flag | Submitted August 30, 2014

Worst listener ever! I was recommended this psychiatrist through my social worker and GP and what a horrible mistake it was! The whole hour of initial appointment was 99% a one man conversation between Dr Faux and Dr Faux. He relied solely on the notes provided to him and did not ask me anything about my situation or thoughts or feelings. When I tried to speak up he would speak over me or interject his own opinions. Safe to say I never made a follow up appointment! Would definitely NOT recommend him for anyone, especially those in a delicate situation where you need someone to listen and help you!

flag | Submitted March 2, 2014

Hi, I would just like to say that sometimes Dr. Faux may say that he will take you on, however circumstances do come up whereby Dr. Faux is not able to take you on. I do not believe that a person should hold a grudge. Talk about growing up and being professional. I think we should take a look at ourselves, however grueling and be honest. I think Dr. Faux is a extremely positive influence, has changed my medications that I was on for years for depression, and although I still have depression, it is by far better. Dr. Faux does not rush his patients, which is a major plus in my world. Koodos to Dr. Faux, I think he is brilliant.

flag | Submitted September 6, 2013

Don't let Dr Faux's unassumingly casual demeanor disway you: This man is a genius. I had spent over 3 years struggling with bipolar disorder being fed the wrong medication. I sat down with this man (UfT grad who has over 30 years of experience), and he did nothing but listen to me for about 2 hours x 2 sessions. He perscribed me a medication, and since my life has genuinely turned around in the best way possible. Helpful, careful, compassionate, and quirky- the man is not always punctual, but that's because he tries to give each patient his best and isn't a clockcounter. There's a reason why he has a waiting list years long, this guy is the bomb.

flag | Submitted January 3, 2013

This Dr. agreed to take me on, then because of another patient of he had me called and won't see me now, i want nothing to do with the other patient....yet he still won't see me...this is VERY unprofessional and immature on his part, i need a dr. very badly and for him to do this is very upsetting!!! I do plan to take this further...he did say he would take me, what he has done is just sooo wrong!!!

flag | Submitted September 11, 2012

Dr Faux has been my psychiatrist for years. The reason why I continue to see him is because he's extremely knowledgeable, caring and cares about the well being of his patients. He has made a huge impact on the well being of my life. In regards to the negative comments below, yes he is often running late but that's because he's a great doctor, allowing his patients the adequate time they need. The reason he eats during sessions is because he never takes a break throughout the day, allowing to see more patients on a daily basis.

flag | Submitted August 2, 2012

The reason I'm still living after seeing him for the last 7 years is a testament to this Doctors expertise. He is AWESOME!!!

flag | Submitted January 16, 2012