Ratings for Dr. Jane Purvis

Excellent Dr. Very thorough & knowledgeable. Punctual & efficient. I feel very lucky to have been a patient of Dr. Purvis' the past 16 years.

flag | Submitted June 19, 2017

As hard as it is to see Dr Purvis it has alway been worth the wait. She is attentive, compassionate and assertive when trying to set you up with other specialists. Dr Purvis is up today date on new and improved medicines and procedures. The staff is cold but not heartless be patient they are extremely busy as Dr Purvis has a large roster of patients. Dr Purvis is my 4th rheumatologist and she has had the best bedside manner of all of them!

flag | Submitted October 14, 2016

I found Dr. Purvis very helpful and knowledgable. Her secretary was much less kind and quite rude and unhelpful. Dr. Purvis also proved almost impossible to get a hold of outside of scheduled appointments.

flag | Submitted July 20, 2016

One of the best doctors I have ever dealt with. I have been to several Rheumatologists over the past 20 years, Dr. Purvis tops them all. It is such a pleasure to finally meet a Doctor who is very knowledgeable in her field, listens to my concerns, explains things in layman's terms, lets me know why I am taking a certain medicine and what to expect. I am so thankful my family doctor for referring me to Dr. Purvis. The staff is pleasant and very helpful, calls are returned as soon as possible.

flag | Submitted May 30, 2016

I am a younger patient, and I am going to be embarking on a "world tour" of sorts in the near future, Dr Purvis has been working diligently to ensure that I am well prepared and on the appropriate medication to facilitate this. As soon we we realized the current meds I was taking were no longer working effectively she got to work on switching me to something else. She is easy to talk to, pretty punctual as far as doctors go and generally a pleasant person to deal with. I also must say that I certainly appreciate her new secretary Brigitte, much more than I did Anne. Her attitude is more in line with what a customer facing role should be.

flag | Submitted March 1, 2016

doctor gave terrible advice to resume a medication that lowers the immune system despite a persistent infection and I nearly died. Their office stopped following up with me, claimed I missed an appointment and when confronted about their poor organization, follow up and appalling tone, sent a letter that I was no longer an appropriate patient. So glad I do not have to deal with them anymore, I have been seeing her for years and she has an awful bedside manner and the customer service from her new staff is a real treat.... especially when dealing with a stress induced disease. good luck

flag | Submitted December 16, 2015

I had my first appointment today with Dr. Purvis. Pain has become a part of my everyday life so it's difficult for me to express how I feel and when it started. Dr. Purvis made me feel very comfortable. I didn't feel rushed and feel she did a thorough intake of my history and symptoms. She said it may take some time to get answers but we'll narrow it down til we do. Based on today's appointment, would definitely recommend her.

flag | Submitted September 17, 2015

Dr Purvis has been my Rheumatologist for about 10 years. I have always found her to be very knowleadgeable, efficient and friendly. She takes the time to give you info on the planned course of action. My family Dr recieves correspondence from her after each visit, surprisingly in a short amount of time.

flag | Submitted July 8, 2015

I had received a letter from Dr. Purvis; which confirmed the appointment and advised me that this consultation would take about 45 minutes. Also in bold letters and underlined it read, “Please bring all of your medications, x-rays or relevant tests with you.” as well as “Failure to notify us and not attend your appointment will result in a $50.00 admin fee.” I was taken into an exam room when Dr. Purvis came in and asked me to explain why I was there. I started to tell her, and gave her the medical reports that my family doctor had copied for her. I had not finished what I was saying when Dr. Purvis exclaimed “Oh you’ve see Dr. Doris!” and “That is playing dirty pool!” Her demeanour changed drastically. She exclaimed my family doctor was playing dirty pool several times. She stated that my doctor was underhanded and did not tell her I had seen Dr. Doris, who also happens to be her husband, & practices the same specialty she does. (My doctor sen the reports including her husband's report) She said she doesn't do second opinions & continued her rant against my family doctor outside of the exam room. She came back into the exam room & told me my doctor just wasted my time & that she was going to give her the same report back that her doctor husband already sent. Dr. Purvis made a photo copy of Dr. Doris’ report & said she plans to tell my family doctor what she thinks of her. Dr. Purvis also questioned the medication (Cesamet) I was on. She said she had to look this medicine up because she had never heard of it before; after checking it, she said it was a marijuana pill and questioned its use. I explained why I'm on this medicine; however, she was not willing to listen. I have PTSD, anxiety, depression, ADD, her actions did not help me. Dr. Purvis did not want to see the x-rays or any other relevant tests that I brought, as requested via her letter from her office. I expressed concern in light of my brain M.R.I. as it showed demyelinating disease, vasculitis, and growths. She advised me to stop having tests. I also attempted to give her a personal note that I put together in regards to my symptoms; but she told me to give it to my family doctor. Throughout the physical exam she continued to express what she thought of my family doctor. When I asked her about some lumps that I have she did not examine these lumps. She told me and wrote on a note that I have chronic pain syndrome, she will refer a physiotherapist to me at home for exercises, she advised me to get involved in aerobic fitness, talk therapy, and gave me a list of drugs/medications to consider taking. (she suggested multiple drugs rather than the one drug that i was currently on. All in all the appointment was disappointing to say the least, as well as insulting. My family doctor has and continues to provide my family with excellent medical care. If anyone wasted my time it was Dr. Purvis, with her ranting, raving, and disregard for patient confidentiality; this was especially distressing when she took it outside of the exam room. If I could hear her through the door I am certain the clients in the waiting room could too, as well as her staff at the reception desk. As a professional I expected her to have her own opinion, rather than an emotional outburst, and resend her husband’s report back with a piece of her mind. This is not the kind of professionalism I expect from someone in her position. Regardless of how she conducted herself she will still get paid for services rendered; however, if it where up to me I would withhold payment and charge her $50.00 for missing the appointment, plus another $50 for gas. I am tempted to report her behavior to O.M.A. because in my opinion she did harm and hurt me. While I was in her presence I felt humiliated and insulted. When I left her office it was with a renewed sense of uncertainty. The interesting thing about this experience is that my visit with Dr. Doris was a little challenging too. He had a guy from a pharmaceutical company present for the initial interview which I found very distracting; thus, making it difficult for me to focus. Although Dr. Doris did ask if it was okay for this man to attend, I felt put on the spot and awkward as he was in the room when Dr. Doris asked me, otherwise I would have said “No”. Although Dr. Doris’ conduct was professional; during the appointment I felt confused, scattered, and unable to fully express my concerns. I believe even when one individual does not quite agree with another, regardless of what their relationship is, it is not okay to berate one another just because you think differently. Dr. Purvis was not justified in her unprofessional behavior and in all likelihood does not understand the impact she had on me that day. It was not good. As a former health professional myself, it is clear to me this woman was way out of line.

flag | Submitted March 25, 2015

I have no idea why anyone would find the doc to be rude; I’ve always found Dr. Purvis to be knowledgeable, punctual, efficient and friendly. The purpose of going to the doctor is to get help with a medical condition, not to chitchat about the weather. My somewhat rare condition was diagnosed and treated by Doc Purvis when it seemed no other practitioner could identify what was wrong. Top rating on all fronts, except one, getting through to the office by phone tends to be an extremely frustrating exercise. lyn

flag | Submitted October 3, 2013