Ratings for Dr. James J. Maccarone

This doctor will cancel you as you are sitting in his waiting room for your appointment. He will tell you to be in the office at 8:30, but he doesn't show till 330. He is a pill mill that doesn't care about treating legit pain. Seems he's only interested in cash patients. He can't keep a PA in the office. Don't waste your money or time. He's going down very soon.

flag | Submitted October 21, 2015

Dr. Maccarone may have once been a decent doctor but time and a persons personal life have a way of changing people. I am afraid that as a result of both I would not reccomend Dr. Mac to my worst enemy. He is in need of some extreme counseling himself. Do yourself a favor and find another doctor.

flag | Submitted September 9, 2015

Dr. Maccarone is a very good Dr and shows a genuime concern for the paitent, that is when you get to actually see him. He is very down to earth and explians things in detail to you. I selected him because of the quality of service and to have a dr that I could see on a regualr basis and not be bounced from one to another. This worked well for a couple of years. Then I started seeing the PA's and they were also great, until they started leaving and as soon as one understood the issues I was coming in for they would leave. Within the last year I saw 3 different PA's. My Wife and I also had issues with phone calls not being returned, appointments that were differnet then what was given to us. Long waits well over 2 hours per visit. My last visit medications were not refilled as I had requested and when I called to get it corrected I was told that I had to reschedule an appointment, that it was my fault that the meds were not refilled. All they wanted was the money for the visits.

flag | Submitted December 28, 2011

He is a very good Doctor that will listen to his patients with any problem for as long as you need him to listen. He is very caring and good at being a Doctor. Yes there might be a wait but he is always been a good doctor to my husband and I.Fixing problems that we have and even Mental talks that we need sometimes. Very Compassionate towards all Patients, I highly recommend this doctor.

flag | Submitted September 5, 2011

My wife appointment was a 9:30 am she got all the paper work and blood work completed in 1 1/2 hours. We waited until 12:30 pm to find out that the doctor had went to lunch. The nurse came in and said we should go do the same. We came back at 1:15 pm and the doctor was not back. We waited untill 2:30 pm to find out he was with other people and said we would be next. My wife got up crying and went to sit in our vehical. 3:30 came around and I went in the the doctor office and let him have it. This is the most untought full doctor we have evere incounted. Please save your self and stay away from him. I will not even go to Gate way anymore because they allow him to continue to work their.

flag | Submitted May 9, 2011

THIS DR. WAS REFERRED TO ME THRU A CO-WORKER THAT GOES TO HIM, SHE DID TELL ME THAT I MAY HAVE A LITTLE WAIT TIME. WELL A LITTLE WAIT TIME IS NOT EVEN CLOSE TO IT. I HAD A 8:30AM APPT. GOT THERE AT 8:15 AND WAITED FOR SEVERAL HOURS BEFORE I WAS TOLD THAT HE DO NOT SEE NEW PATIENTS ON SATURDAY'S. I TOLD THEM WHY DID THEY MAKE THI APPT. THEN IF THEY KNEW THAT HE DON'T SEE NEW PATIENTS ON SATURDAYS, SHE SAID IT WAS AN ERROR, BUT HAVE A SEAT AND HE WILL SEE ME SHORTLY, I WAITED UNTIL 11:30AM AND STILL DID NOT GET CALLED THEN AT 12:30 SHE CAME TO ME AND SAID THAT HE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SEE ME TODAY, SO I RESCHEDULED FOR THE FOLLOWING MONDAY AT 8:00AM, GOT THERE 9:30 CAME AND STILL DID NOT GET CALLED I WAITED UNTIL 10:30 AND PLEASANTLY WENT TO THE DESK AND ASKED HOW MUCH LONGER AND SHE SAID IN A FEW MINS. I WAITED UNTIL ABOUT 11:15AM AND TOLD THEM I AM UNABLE TO WAIT ANY LONGER I HAVE ANOTHER APPT. AT 1:00PM, MY QUESTION TO THIS DOCTOR WHY MAKE APPT. SOMEONE NEED TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS

flag | Submitted April 5, 2011

Up to four hour waits in the waiting room, phone calls not returned when message left on answering machine.

flag | Submitted June 25, 2010

Dr. Maccarone has been my physician for years,and I highly recommend him to anyone that is looking for a physician. He is highly qualified, compassionate, and a hard working individual. He provides excellent care, and takes the time to listen to you. He is very personable and has a way of making you feel like a friend not just a patient or just a number. I cannot say enough about Dr. Maccarone, he is a wonderful physician and I highly recommend him. He is truly a valuable asset to this community. God Bless Dr. Maccarone.

flag | Submitted June 24, 2010

Good Doctor....Wholistic approach, clean. neat, pleasant, and fairly knowledable. Dr. Maccarone takes his time with patients and allows patients to contact him on his cell phone for emergencies!

flag | Submitted June 22, 2010

I recommend Dr. Maccarone and the staff at Gateway Medical Associates....for those looking for a new Primary Care Physician. His new staff is friendly and very professional. My longest wait has been around 30 minutes but it was more than worth the wait. I appreciate the available weekend hours and the pleasant, knowledgable PAs and NPs.

flag | Submitted June 22, 2010

Dr. James J. Maccarone's Credentials

• Des Moines Univ, Coll Osteo Med & Surg, Des Moines Ia 50312 (Grad. 1994)

• Blue Shield California