Ratings for Dr. Michael Buchanan

Terrible. Run. He can't tell time, he doesn't follow through with referrals he committed to. Never have I felt like such an inconvenience to a doctor.

flag | Submitted October 25, 2018

Went for hip replacement surgery in Richmond and the anesthesiologist took one look at me and said who is treating you? When I told him Buchanan he said, My advice, find a new doctor and he recommended the very best, life changing for me.

flag | Submitted June 22, 2018

I had no choice but to fire him as my local specialist and take matters into my own hands to ensure my Rheumatologist in Vancouver was being informed of any changes in my condition. Throughout my diagnosis period he diagnosed me with several diseases (all of which were incorrect), at one point even stood at the foot of my hospital bed and implied I should just give up. An intern gave my correct diagnosis. One of which Buchanan took credit for. Thankfully I was sent to Vancouver for further life saving treatment. If I had stayed I would have died. After my return the agreement was he was to be a voice for my Vancouver Doctor to avoid me travelling back and forth constantly. I thought for years all medication changes etc... were being order from Vancouver only to find out after several relapses and one major surgery that was not the case at all. At that point I fired him and now travel to Vancouver twice a year to have a face to face with my Rheumatologist in St. Paul's Hospital. I am as close to remission as I can get since taking charge of my situation. It is the best thing I could have ever done.

flag | Submitted December 7, 2017

I’m unsure why there are so many negative reviews for Dr. Buchanan. He has been incredible with me and I see him every 3 months. I no longer suffer from arthritis and on medication that works for me due to how thorough he has been. I recommend him to everything who needs to be seen by a doctor in his speciality. I think some people may be focusing on the negative rather then the positive.

flag | Submitted November 19, 2017

Dr Buchanan is legitimately NOT a rheumatologist. He is an internist with some extra training in rheumatology (training done because he went with this wife to the states for her fellowship). Rheumatology is a 2 year Royal College certified fellowship that he does NOT have. Unfortunately, PG does not have an actual rheumatologist yet. In the meantime, do not see this doctor. Get a referral to a rheumatologist in another city. This man practices medicine with no care or attention to any of his patients and is an absolute liability.

flag | Submitted March 12, 2017

I went to this doctor for several years. He did nothing for me but allow my RA to progress. I had to ask for an X-ray on my hips only to find out I was bone in bone. He also wanted to put me on medication they used in the 50's.. Thankfully I got another referral to the best of the best in Vancouver. They could not believe my condition. Seriously question his training and knowledge. Avoid this doctor at all costs in my opinion ..

flag | Submitted December 14, 2016

Let's just say, if there was another rheumatologist in Prince George, I definitely would not be a patient of Dr. Buchanan. He always seems scattered, does not read patient files before appointment so wastes both the patient and his time, NEVER on time - usually at least one hour behind.

flag | Submitted October 21, 2016

Really frustrated. I was brought into see him because my doctor thought the situation was "urgent." Dr. Buchanan kept calling me by the wrong name and seemed to think that I had an STD. I already have been tested within this past month and was cleared for any STD's. He ignored what I had to say and asked me the same question about three times. I don't think he reviewed my case before I arrived in his office. Wants me to come back in a few months. My question is why? So I can be told that I'm a hypochondriac a second time?

flag | Submitted July 12, 2016

He is very knowledgeable and extremely helpful. I would recommend him to anyone

flag | Submitted May 20, 2016

Good doctor. Discusses treatment thoroughly and take time t answer all questions.

flag | Submitted May 17, 2016