Ratings for Dr. James Newbigging

Dr . Newbigging delivered my daughter via c-section & I found him to be very professional as well as easy to talk to & friendly . I was very comfortable with him right from the start ..will always remember him joking with me on my way into surgery & during , which really put me at ease , which meant a lot for me after previously experiencing a very serious ( complications ) emergency c-section with my son a few years earlier .

flag | Submitted January 12, 2015

flag | Submitted November 1, 2013

I had a good, positive experience with Dr. Newbigging. It was his receptionist that was the worst I've ever had dealings with. My own GP warned me that her nickname is the barracuda. When I announced my presence upon arrival she snapped at me. And continued to snap at me at every single visit. Not necessary to behave in such manner when you are at a specialist because you have a problem and are already stressed enough! Dr. N was great however. I had a very serious interuterine septum which he dealt with through an excellent surgeon. He even called me at home to discuss and book me in quickly! The office is right out of the 1970's though and desperately needs updating, including a change of admin staff if this hasn't already happened. My experince goes back a number of years now.

flag | Submitted April 25, 2012

Dr. Newbigging has a great bedside manner, unfortunately that is where it ends. Being surrounded by excellent office and nursing staff is not enough to support his lack of ability. Avoid this doctor at all costs.

flag | Submitted November 14, 2011

This guy messed up my charts stating I had had 5 prenancies and 4 abortions. This poor charting led to further poor charting and incorrect info by delivering doctor.

flag | Submitted October 24, 2010

I had one appointment with this doctor, and then promptly ran as far away as I could. Every fiber in my body was warning me away and I'm glad that I listened. Not only did he lie and say that no one in the city could perform a laparoscopic myomectomy on my large fibroid (we have an excellent specialist in the city and he knew this), he also treated me like an insipid little girl, even though I know more immunology than he does. Very old school, where the doctor was clearly God and never questioned.

flag | Submitted September 27, 2010

I was not impressed with Dr. Newbigging nor his chilly receptionist. On my second visit, I was in severe pain due to an endometrial cyst and was fainting and light-headed. When I explained my pain symptoms, I felt like he did not hear me. That same day, I went to another clinic and the doctor sent me to emerg. She and the emerg doc were shocked that Dr. Newbigging did not even examine me when I was experiencing such extreme pain to the point of fainting. Lucky for me, I am being referred to another surgeon to remove my ovary; Newbigging is retiring.

flag | Submitted March 26, 2010

Dr. Newbigging is an excellent ob/gyn. He explains things clearly, doesn't push one point of view, answers all questions well, and is a good surgeon. His follow up is thorough. We are fortunate to have such a good doctor in Victoria.

flag | Submitted December 15, 2009

I've only been a patient of his for a few months and I'm not sure I'll be staying in his care. He has assisted me with my endometriosis somewhat and I am grateful for that at least. However, it seems his follow up and information giving on certain details has not been great, and when I ended up in emergency a few times, the emerg Dr and I were kind of scratching our heads about why he didn't do this or tell me that. So far he's been quite minimally polite and it feels like when he looks at me, he's not actually seeing a person for some reason. Not sure what's up there, except perhaps the old "old school" mentality about women? Also, his receptionist is pretty chilly, and borderline rude. One would think she could occasionally muster up a smile or warm exchange when one is offered? She is the second older receptionist I've had at a "old school" male Gyn's office that has me wondering if she may actively dislike younger women.

flag | Submitted October 29, 2009

Overall I had a good experience with Dr. Newbigging. He presented me with all my options so I could make an informed decision. I had a laparoscopy thru him, and I found him to be a very precise, empathetic and knowledgable physician. My only complaint is the post-op painkillers did not work at all and I wound up at the ER the next in excruciating pain. Also, my recovery time was at least twice as long as I was told it would be.

flag | Submitted July 27, 2009