Ratings for Dr. Michael Shier

I do not recommend this doctor. He has no compassion and neither does his female resident/fellow. He gave me one option for treatment (laser) and told me that I could go back to work the same day (not so!). I was given no after-care instructions and was in a lot of pain for 2 weeks (could not walk or sit without pain) and had to take unplanned time off work. When I saw my family doctor she recommended that I see them for follow-up. They were very reluctant to book an appointment for follow-up, but they ended up booking one for me. When I went to the follow-up appointment, it was apparent that they did not want to see me and both Dr. Shier and his resident/fellow were unsypathetic to my pain. As a matter of fact pushed on the affected area so hard and looked at me like I was insane when I yelped with pain. To add insult to injury, told me that it should not hurt! Saw him months later for another follow-up and he recommended more laser! I told him I was a little nervous about doing that again because of my last experience, his response was to shrug and say "well don't do it" - no other options were provided other than a prescription to numb the pain (given just to shut me up, I think). Anyway, jump 1.5 years later and I started seeing a pelvic physiotherapy which has helped immensely in just a few weeks already. If you're looking to go to this doctor for pain, I suggest you try pelican physio first as you will find more compassion for sure.

flag | Submitted August 12, 2018

I do not recommend at all. Do not go to him unless you want to be disrespected and dismissed. You take time out of your day to go all the way to Sunnybrook only for him to see you for 2 minutes and leave the room without answering any questions or concerns. His resident physician, Kate, was twice as rude as he was. Will be contacting the Ontario college of physicians and surgeons with regards to the resident - she is a student who literally just graduated from medical school and she treats patients with such disrespect and lack of compassion you question why she went through medical school in the first place.

flag | Submitted August 7, 2018

will not provide resources other than straight treatment....no questions....feel like a lab rat....terrible experience

flag | Submitted July 26, 2018

I have been seeing him for close to a year now & I really like him and the nurses. I would recommend him !

Submitted July 9, 2018

I felt this doctor was not compassionate at all. He did not show any care about my issue, just prescribed something with no explanation and left the appointment. He said he will come back with my prescription but sent it in with his nurse instead so I couldn't ask him the questions I still had.

flag | Submitted June 15, 2018

Terrible experience. Had an appointment with this old grouch today and the second I questioned his suggestion he acted annoyed and wouldn’t give me an alternative solution. What kind of doctor can’t provide options to their clients? Not sure how anyone had a good experience with him, maybe it’s that he’s pushing 90years old and losing his marbles. I felt completely uncared for and dismissed. His nurse was just as arrogant and stubborn as he was. Zero lack of compassion or care for someone who has been struggling for months. Clearly his patients are just numbers and dollar signs to him so he brushes one of to go get paid for the next. Awful man.

flag | Submitted June 11, 2018

Awful doctor. Rude and short. Clearly doesn't care about his patients at all

flag | Submitted June 7, 2018

THE absolut worst doctor I have ever seen. Do not go him. He does not care about husbands patients. Walked out on our appointment because he felt he gave me a solution and even though I told him I’ve tried that method before which didn’t help him eh wouldn’t answer any further questions. Refused to speak with me after and was just nasty. The worst doctor ever.

flag | Submitted June 7, 2018

My experience was positive in a way my news wasn't great but Dr.Shier made me feel important. He asked me if I had any questions and waited patiently while I thought about it. He made sure not to say anything that would scare me but made sure I understood that it was important to have treatment. I would recommend him to friends and family for sure.

Submitted April 27, 2018

My experience with Dr. Shier was not a positive one. He is very condesending and arrogant. His staff was professional despite his actions toward them. I do not recommend him at all.

flag | Submitted February 26, 2018