Ratings for Dr. Blair Rudston-Brown

In Jan 2015 I had a hernia repaired by Dr. RB. Within a few months I was back at the GP complaining of the same pain. Jan 2016 a mesh was put on the same hernia. At that time I also was told I had a second hernia. Dr. RB said the radiologists (2 different ones) didn't know what they were talking about ...in his opinion there was not a second hernia. Within six weeks I was back at the GP complaining that I was still in the same pain. After CT scans and ultrasounds Dr RB surmised that the mesh "may" have slipped and he would explore. Again the scans and ultrasounds revealed a second hernia. But even tho I asked DR RB to "take a look" while he was in repairing the first hernia....he assured me there was not a second hernia. When he operated he found nothing wrong with the mesh but a pocket of fluid was removed from the mesh area. Within three weeks I was in pain again. I went back to my GP and said I never wanted to see Dr. RB again. My GP asked me to still see him for the follow up surgery appointment. So I did and Dr. RB told me that the pain was "all in my head". He said did I want a second opinion, I said yes. He said he would arrange that. I have never heard from his office since and that is almost a year later. I have since seen a Dr in Victoria who has operated on the second hernia and I am now recovering from the surgery. This Dr said I had the second hernia the whole time and that it was probably caused by a surgery for gall bladder removal in 2014. No Dr RB it was not in my head. You are a very arrogant Dr. You are not God. I would never recommend you to anyone and would discourage anyone from having you as a Dr. My brother in law also had problems with hernia surgery shortly after mine. I wish I had never spent the three years wasted on waiting for your appointments or your surgeries or your off hand comments

flag | Submitted December 6, 2017

Dr. RudstonBrown was referred to us as we were new to the island. He has been fantastic - extremely caring, thorough and friendly. It has been a pleasure dealing with him and Melanie at his office for follow up. Nanaimo is fortunate to have a surgeon of this quality.

flag | Submitted July 20, 2017

My son had an emergency appendicitis surgery. Dr. Rudston-Brown explained everything in a way that was easy to understand, he was very knowledgeable and showed his concern for the patient and put my son at the ease through an accomodating attitude. Very friendly and reassuring. He called me after surgery was done to let me know everything went well and my son is ok. Very professional and caring.

flag | Submitted May 30, 2017

Dr Rudston Brown saw me on an emergency basis, provided emergency drainage, and gave me details I can understand, and provided me an explanation and reasons to get to a specialist asap. Great Doctor, good communication.

flag | Submitted March 16, 2017

This man may be a good surgeon but keep him away from patients. I went into Emergency 9:30 Sunday morning with shooting abdominal pain. After the CT scan turns out it is my appendix. and needs to be removed. I sat in Emergency for 7 hours waiting for the surgeon to look at the scan and order a room. Finally he showed up spent his 5 minutes with me and got me into a room..1/2 later I'm in surgery. After surgery I was moved to "Short Term Stay" area, which is a dorm room, many, many beds all separated by curtains with zero privacy. The nurses were great in this area other than turning the overhead lights on at 5am for the bed next to me. That meant the lights are on for my bed also. Which since my blood was taken at 5:30am I guess it didn't matter that I had 4hrs sleep after surgery. Other Drs. came and started discharging their patients at 7am. NOT Dr. Rudston-Brown. He had 3 patients in the Short Term area taking up beds that were needed for surgical patients. After lunch the nurse finally decided to call the Dr. to see what was his plan for his 3 patients. He showed up at 2pm!!! Spent 5 minutes and discharged his first patient..I was next when I complained about his lack of respect to his patients he said he was busy upstairs and not just having his nails done. At this point he writes out a prescription for me without examining my surgical area. I actually asked him if he was going to examine me..which he did. The information he gave me was..no restrictions for food or movement. Your body will tell you. I received better post surgical information from the nurses. I WILL NEVER SEE HIM AGAIN NOR RECOMMEND HIM TO ANYONE

flag | Submitted September 14, 2016

I had a similar experience with this surgeon like the patient who submitted his/her rating on March 22, 2016. I can confirm that his doctor has very poor bedside manners and doesn't care about anything after the surgery. But he is a good actor - I give him that. Since that terrible experience I will no longer listen to some of the cheerleader ratings and the next time I need a surgeon I will look for someone else.

flag | Submitted August 23, 2016

Terrific beside manner. Friendly and caring, and he took the time needed to explain the procedure. I had a double hernia repair, needed only a few Tylenol post op and was almost pain free in just a few days. I would highly recommend Dr. Ruston Brown. And I found his receptionist friendly and very accommodating. Playing tennis, golfing and doing tai chi 22 days post op. Thank you both!

flag | Submitted May 18, 2016

I had a procedure done this summer by Dr R-B. I was quite anxious before the procedure that was done while I was not fully sedated. During the procedure while something was being pulled out of my abdomen and throat simultaneously I swore. The doctor began to chastise me while I was on many drugs, in pain, and not completely lucid. This has been the most traumatic part of my whole experience as I felt completely unsupported by the robot-like doctor. Since my procedure have received bills fro his office even though my healthcare card should have been used to cover the "consultation" which was 2-5 minutes long. I left a kind message with my healthcare number and months later received a strange bill with highlighted strokes alluding to a conversation I never had with his office. Overall, terrible experience.

flag | Submitted March 22, 2016

Dr R-B performed a fairly straight forward hernia repair for me in January, 2016. I had to wait about 1.5 hrs after scheduled time before getting into the operating room at the end of the day. It was a bit uncomfortable as I had been told to fast from midnight the day before. But things happen and when Doc R-B finally got to me he was courteous and professional. Seems that even a surgeon can't control everything that might come up. When I needed a refill of the pain melds, I called his office late Friday pm. I expected to get his staff, or worse a message machine, but the Doc answered his own phone, and faxed the prescription to a pharmacy close to me. Would recommend him to anyone requiring a knowledgeable and skilled pro!

flag | Submitted January 19, 2016

Dr. Rundston-Brown has literally changed my life. After suffering for more than 10 years and seeing many different doctors, he suggested a treatment plan which included surgery and it has improved every aspect of my life. Thank you just does not seem enough! One added note, due to emergencies after my surgery Dr. RB was unable to contact my wife personally once I was done, however still called her after he was free at 11:30pm to make sure she knew I was a-ok. Now that is above and beyond service!

flag | Submitted January 4, 2016