Ratings for Dr. Blair Rudston-Brown

This man may be a good surgeon but keep him away from patients. I went into Emergency 9:30 Sunday morning with shooting abdominal pain. After the CT scan turns out it is my appendix. and needs to be removed. I sat in Emergency for 7 hours waiting for the surgeon to look at the scan and order a room. Finally he showed up spent his 5 minutes with me and got me into a room..1/2 later I'm in surgery. After surgery I was moved to "Short Term Stay" area, which is a dorm room, many, many beds all separated by curtains with zero privacy. The nurses were great in this area other than turning the overhead lights on at 5am for the bed next to me. That meant the lights are on for my bed also. Which since my blood was taken at 5:30am I guess it didn't matter that I had 4hrs sleep after surgery. Other Drs. came and started discharging their patients at 7am. NOT Dr. Rudston-Brown. He had 3 patients in the Short Term area taking up beds that were needed for surgical patients. After lunch the nurse finally decided to call the Dr. to see what was his plan for his 3 patients. He showed up at 2pm!!! Spent 5 minutes and discharged his first patient..I was next when I complained about his lack of respect to his patients he said he was busy upstairs and not just having his nails done. At this point he writes out a prescription for me without examining my surgical area. I actually asked him if he was going to examine me..which he did. The information he gave me was..no restrictions for food or movement. Your body will tell you. I received better post surgical information from the nurses. I WILL NEVER SEE HIM AGAIN NOR RECOMMEND HIM TO ANYONE

flag | Submitted September 14, 2016

I had a similar experience with this surgeon like the patient who submitted his/her rating on March 22, 2016. I can confirm that his doctor has very poor bedside manners and doesn't care about anything after the surgery. But he is a good actor - I give him that. Since that terrible experience I will no longer listen to some of the cheerleader ratings and the next time I need a surgeon I will look for someone else.

flag | Submitted August 23, 2016

Terrific beside manner. Friendly and caring, and he took the time needed to explain the procedure. I had a double hernia repair, needed only a few Tylenol post op and was almost pain free in just a few days. I would highly recommend Dr. Ruston Brown. And I found his receptionist friendly and very accommodating. Playing tennis, golfing and doing tai chi 22 days post op. Thank you both!

flag | Submitted May 18, 2016

I had a procedure done this summer by Dr R-B. I was quite anxious before the procedure that was done while I was not fully sedated. During the procedure while something was being pulled out of my abdomen and throat simultaneously I swore. The doctor began to chastise me while I was on many drugs, in pain, and not completely lucid. This has been the most traumatic part of my whole experience as I felt completely unsupported by the robot-like doctor. Since my procedure have received bills fro his office even though my healthcare card should have been used to cover the "consultation" which was 2-5 minutes long. I left a kind message with my healthcare number and months later received a strange bill with highlighted strokes alluding to a conversation I never had with his office. Overall, terrible experience.

flag | Submitted March 22, 2016

Dr R-B performed a fairly straight forward hernia repair for me in January, 2016. I had to wait about 1.5 hrs after scheduled time before getting into the operating room at the end of the day. It was a bit uncomfortable as I had been told to fast from midnight the day before. But things happen and when Doc R-B finally got to me he was courteous and professional. Seems that even a surgeon can't control everything that might come up. When I needed a refill of the pain melds, I called his office late Friday pm. I expected to get his staff, or worse a message machine, but the Doc answered his own phone, and faxed the prescription to a pharmacy close to me. Would recommend him to anyone requiring a knowledgeable and skilled pro!

flag | Submitted January 19, 2016

Dr. Rundston-Brown has literally changed my life. After suffering for more than 10 years and seeing many different doctors, he suggested a treatment plan which included surgery and it has improved every aspect of my life. Thank you just does not seem enough! One added note, due to emergencies after my surgery Dr. RB was unable to contact my wife personally once I was done, however still called her after he was free at 11:30pm to make sure she knew I was a-ok. Now that is above and beyond service!

flag | Submitted January 4, 2016

Last year Dr. Rudston-Brown performed surgery on one of my internal organs (I never had any surgery before). According to R.B. it was an everyday routine surgical intervention – nothing really complicated. Right after surgery my life turned into hell, excruciating pain attacks all day and half of the night. R.B. avoids seeing me and his only advise forwarded is to take more painkillers. Over the year I have talked to some people I know who have shared similar experience with this doctor, looks like I am not the only one. I would not be terribly surprised if my feedback will be deleted by the board, as a patient I realize now I have no rights at all.

flag | Submitted December 13, 2015

I had bi-lateral hernia surgery today. I am very impressed as well as grateful that Dr Rudston-Brown was very thorough and that I am relatively pain and discomfort free. He and his team are top notch professional. His assistant/receptionist always treats me respectfully and I find her to be very pleasant and helpful any time I have spoken to her. I'm a happy guy and look forward to a quick recovery.

flag | Submitted August 8, 2015

It is now six months since my pacemaker surgery. I have a new lease on life. I would like to thank to Dr. Rudston-Brown and the Nanaimo hospital professionals. Professionalism, and confidence combined with humor transformed my very serious situation into a memorable experience that I look back on as my second chance. Thank you all so much!

flag | Submitted May 23, 2015

My daughter waited 5 months for a gastroscopy because of severe acid reflux. She suffered a panic attack during the procedure and wasn't given enough sedation to calm her down. The procedure began without any attention to her feelings. She tried to tell them about her panic disorder, but no one listened, just put that metal tube down with no measure of comfort. A person suffering from acid reflux should not have to fast until a 1:30 pm appointment. When I called the doctor's office, the receptionist told me these types of procedures go on ALL DAY, when in fact hers was the last appointment of the day, and was actually 2:30 not 1:30 at all. Surprise! I will not be singing anyone's praises.

flag | Submitted April 27, 2015