Ratings for Dr. Richard Gellar

Dr.Richard Gellar is fantastic.He was my doctor when I was hospitalized and continued to be my doctor when I was released.He is extremely good and thorough with medications along with being conservative in his approach.In other words he tries to take it slow and easy until the right level is achieved.He is very easy to talk to and is a kind and compassionate person.He is a very,very hard working doctor.An example of this is that he used to visit me in the hospital at 10PM.I didn't see any other doctors doing that for sure!I look forward to the sessions that I have with him.I would highly recommend Dr. Gellar to anyone seeking psychiatric help.

flag | Submitted August 11, 2011

Ive used the guy for years and unlike many psychiatrists, he is friendly. He is also knowledgeable about the old school psychiatry medications such as lithium, tricyclic antidepressants, even the MAOIs. He does not hospitalize you unnecessarily. I have never been hospitalized by him a single time. He stays cool when things get bad at times...many other psychiatrists lose their cool easily and just want to hospitalize you in the psych ward for a few days or a week. Very cool headed, he does a good balance between not over medicating you versus under medicating you...he gets it right for what you can handle, friendly, knowledgeable about psychopharmacology both modern and old psych meds. The only negative is he is late a lot, but I overlook that because of his other, positive attributes. He is a good listener and won't mess you up worse than you already are...many psychiatrists will take you and make you worse in my experiences...not Gellar...it is "do no harm" with him.

flag | Submitted August 9, 2011

Dr. Richard Gellar's Credentials

• Duke University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1969)