Ratings for Dr. Steven Prakken

Dr. Prakken is plain and simple the smartest and most compassionate doctor I"ve ever seen. He knows so much about pain conditions and pain drugs and he is curious and listens and asks thoughtful questions. He has a background in psychiatry and maybe that's why he's different than other doctors. He understands complicated people and complicated conditions. He tries to help people take the right pain meds and not be at too high of a dose, but he doesn't automatically treat patients like drug addicts and drug seekers. He figured out that I was on the wrong meds and on too high a dose and that not only was my pain inadequately treated, but my mood and marriage were a mess because of my meds. If you can't deal with a doctor who takes notes or that sometimes you see one of his PA's, good, don't see him, that will leave more space for those of us who appreciate his thoughtful patient-centered approach.

flag | Submitted October 13, 2014

Dr. Prakken and his staff are great. Yes, he does assign you to a PA to visit on a regular basis however you are required to meet with him every three months. He is very knowledgeable about pain and how to treat it. I was on a pain med that made me go nuts, after talking with Dr. Prakken, he realized that the pain medicine was what was causing the problem, that it was in fact making my pain worse. Once I changed meds, I was back to my normal pain levels and no longer going nuts. He was able to figure this out in just one conversation. He is quiet when you meet with him, he asks questions and yes, he does type into his laptop as you converse, but what doctor doesn't work with laptops these days. Better he take notes while talking with you than trying to remember everything you said later. He is a very good doctor and I have been a patient of his since 2008.

flag | Submitted September 17, 2013

Don't waste your time waiting for an appointment with Dr. Prakken. Without knowing anything about you or reading any referral information on you, he will introduce himself. You will pay him $400 upfront to ask you questions which you have already answered on numerous patient forms and you will sit on his couch while he keys the information into his laptop. He will then pass you off to one of his PA's to begin treatment in subsequent appointments. Unprofessional and over-rated.

flag | Submitted July 16, 2013

Dr. Steven Prakken's Credentials

• OREGON HEALTH SCIENCES UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF MEDICINE (Grad. 1982)

HealthPartners