Ratings for Dr. SCOTT L. Cunningham

I left Dr. Cunningham's office crying and confused on how I went 30 years not knowing I was Bipolar. I am quite aware of the signs since I have worked closely with the mental health population. I went back to work grabbed my DSM 5 and came back to planet earth. The next day, my therapist informed me that this is Dr. Cunningham's MO; he hands out Bipolar diagnosis's like Oprah hands out Cars. I want my co pay back. Never going back.

flag | Submitted January 20, 2016

My husband loves him. Always listens and tries to understand. Pretty spot on. Also helps with regular meds until you can see your primary doctor. Heard from others he is pretty great as well.

flag | Submitted June 3, 2015

Report Dr. Cunningham to the Medical Board, he says every kid is bipolar and prescribes most serious and damaging prescription in just one sitting without even knowing what the person going through thier lives and why they feel that way. These medications ar for heavily crazy people, not teenagers or kids that are going through hormonal issues and only have issues at school or with friends. Stop taking your kids to him

flag | Submitted April 30, 2015

My daughter was one of the many that Dr. Cunnngham diagnoses as bipolar. She's 14 and even she knew that's not what she has. She has the most clear-cut case of generalized anxiety that ever existed. He scolded me for my knowledge base on depression (I'm an MD who has treated tons of depression-- successfully-- in my time). Will never go back, but will register a complaing with the Medical Board.

flag | Submitted October 8, 2014

It is true, everyone that goes to Dr. Cunninghnam is diagnosed as bipolar. At first my medication was helping, but when it stopped working he wouldn't try another regimen. Several family members went to see him (before I had run into this problem) and were diagnosed bipolar. My nurse at work said that everyone seeing Dr. Cunningham told her they were diagnosed bipolar.

flag | Submitted September 11, 2014

Everyone is bipolar, according to him. I have been going to Crossroads for years, always seeing Dr. Carpenter. For some reason, Carpenter is gone and replaced with Cunningham. Despite my chart, he diagnosed me as bipolar. The medication that Dr. Carpenter had prescribed were stopped (though they were quite effective) and alternatives were prescribed. No reason given as to why. Will NOT prescribe pain relief for migraine headaches; refers you to your family doctor instead. Sees me annually for that $80 medication check, refills Rxs, 10 minutes later you're out the door. First do no harm but for heaven's sake, do something! I am an adult looking for answers for my illness but he won't prescribe what worked in the past. Who's the patient again?

flag | Submitted August 4, 2014

I scheduled the appointment to discuss possibility of me having ADHD and some recent mild depression. Dr. Cunningham asks carefully worded questions to steer the conversation and eventually his diagnosis that you have bipolar disorder. Everyone who visits Dr. Cunningham will be diagnosed with bipolar. He has quite the entertaining song and dance that he has rehearsed. I personally didn't know this until I started reading up about him after my initial appointment. Then I saw all the reviews and noticed that my experience was identical to all the other reviews I was reading online. I cannot trust this diagnosis or his treatment. I will have to find a different practice, take time off from work, pay an additional copay. All because this guy isn't practicing properly.

flag | Submitted April 23, 2012

Took teenage son for medication management for ADHD. When asked, Cunningham said he had skimmed over my son's info. Skimmed? You can make an informed decision by skimming? He then asked my son carefully worded questions. In my opinion, he asked things in such a way to get the answers HE wanted. He then proceeded to tell me he thinks he is bi-polar, not ADHD. He said because my father is a recovering alcoholic and one of my brothers has a history of drug use (in the past), that they, too, are bi-polar. (My mom was an adolescent psych nurse, not to mention she knows my dad and brother, and says no, neither of them are bi-polar. You can have substance abuse issues without being bi-polar - lots of people do.) He asked me if:1, I agree; 2, don't know enough to agree/disagree; 3, think he's full of it. I told him 2 and 3. When we left, he said don't be surprised to see our son on the front page of the paper cause he opened fire on people. I think this man has his own agenda.

flag | Submitted November 26, 2011

He put my developmentaly daughter on 3500mgg. of depakote thinking she was bipolar. After researching found this was more than triple the normal dose. Because of her mental retardation he just thought her behavior was odd I guess. She was just depressed and needed medication to help her feel better. We are taking her to a dr. at Duke. Dr. Cunningham made a big mistake with my daughter and could be doing this with someone elses child.

flag | Submitted September 26, 2010

Wonderful, caring..and he listens! If you need help with getting a correct mental health diagnosis...Dr Cunningham is your doc. Need help with your med or med combo? He really can help. Not only that but he explains everything in layman's terms.

Submitted February 6, 2010

Dr. SCOTT L. Cunningham's Credentials

• Duke University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1986)