Ratings for Dr. Ian Hyams

I have been a patient of Dr Hyams over many years and he has helped me through a car accident and the subsequent development of Fibromyalgia and Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME), among other things. He has patiently and compassionately helped me immensely in my struggles with fatigue, pain and a myriad of distressing cognitive, emotional and other symptoms. He is always ahead of the curve and looking at the newest information and research in this complex field. He makes time to share his knowledge and educate his patients so that we understand our own illnesses and can manage them with some independence. I am ever grateful and appreciative to have him as my doctor and MEFM specialist, a pleasure I hope will continue for some years. Thank you, Dr Hyams.

flag | Submitted November 9, 2016

My life would be impossible with Dr Ian Hyams. I have central nervous system sensitization disorder CNS...interstitial cystitis anxiety depression as well as FM ME and MCS. Dr Ian brings sanity to my crazy world..I am both understood and helped. A miracle. Thankyou for being there Ian. I will gladly wait in queue when you run late. Take the time the patient needs.

flag | Submitted October 18, 2016

I knew Dr Ian from 2001 for a good few years. He helped me and my family and saved my daughters life after suffering full blown ovarian cancer. He was helpful, caring, knowledgeable and informative, a man ahead of his time. There are so many patients in need and he cannot cut himself in half. You are all indeed very lucky to have him. We all miss him hugely back in here in CI.

flag | Submitted September 6, 2016

I am so lucky to have dr Hyams as my family doctor. Although he became my dr because of the tragic death of my doctor he has been there for me for the last 12 years . Without him I don't know what I would have done. I have severe osteo arthritis that developed in my 30's and fibromyalgia for the same length of time 20+ years. The pain is severe , constant and unrelenting. He always listens, has ideas, suggestion and knows about every facet of pain management. He is without a doubt the best doctor I have. Yes he moved from maple ridge to west Vancouver fairly suddenly but his patients knew about it and were given several options for follow up care. Dr Hysms was asked to work at the chronic pain clinic at Wimens Hospital a couple of years ago which has meant he has had less office hours.dr Hyams had an insane amount of chronic pain referrals for several years that have finally lessened a bit with a couple of new chronic pain doctors being added to the region. He has been trying to be more careful about the amount of time spent with each patient as he used to be in the office hours over his day should have ended. People in pain have lots to say. Ashley has been very good at making that a thing of the past. They have also recently moved to Vancouver from Maple Ridge so that ugly commute isn't there any more. Overall he is a great doctor caring and empathetic. Thank God he's my dr.

flag | Submitted September 3, 2016

Had to travel from Maple Ridge to West Van to see him. Waited several hours! As stated below, left his patients in Maple Ridge without a word. Spends more time on the computer than examining the patient. Over prescribes with no follow up. Will not be returning.

flag | Submitted June 15, 2016

Moved his practice from maple ridge to north vancouver WITHOUT notifying his patients. Even prior, seeing him was impossible, family practice was terrible since he was specialized in fibromialsia elsewhere. Had to book appointments months in advance. By the time you got in the symptoms and problems were gone. In my opinion of you are going to specialize and not have time for your family practice, then don't be a GPS!

flag | Submitted March 26, 2016

Dr. Hyams believes his patients are in the pain they say they are and takes this seriously. What a fabulous change! His change of my meds helped significantly. I like you can pay a yearly fee and just have forms completed as needed. Yes he is rather rushed these days.

flag | Submitted February 6, 2016

I love doctor hyams but lately it seems he doesn't have time for his patients and has been making mistakes during injections due to being in such a rush. Always wait an hour passed appointment time to get Into the room just to wait another 40 mins before he comes in, then you get rushed out after he only does a few of the many needed injections because he needs to be somewhere else. Maybe they should plan out their appointment times better so people don't feel like he just doesn't care anymore. I'm tired of taking the day off work, driving for an hour just to sit here for 3 hours only to get half of what I came for. Certainly not feeling like a priority as a patient anymore. I've been coming out here because of his amazing ability to help with my chronic pain and used to show that he cared personally, not anymore though and that's very sad. He has lost his passion!

flag | Submitted January 19, 2016

What a horrible man and horrible experience. He could care less about his patients. It took weeks and many phone calls to get him to deliver on sending a referral and not only that, he sent a referral to a specialist I don't even need to see opposed to kind I do. What careless action, while I sit here and worry and suffer and trust him.

Submitted June 18, 2015

I am so blessed to have Dr. Hyams as my GP and pain specialist. I have been suffering with osteo arthritis and FM for 25 years. Although he became my Dr under tragic circumstances, the death of my family Dr. It has turned out to be such a blessing. He is so knowledgeable in pain matters. If there is something he doesn't know he doesn't hesitate to have you sent to a specialist. Yes there are sometimes waits but he is always willing to listen. He is emphathetic, kind , knowledgeable, and compassionate. Even thou my pain is quite often out of control it is not from lack of trying. He tries everything. He listens. Since Ashley has come into the office everything is more organized and wait times are much less. Women's hospital is lucky to have him!! I don't know if I would have survived without his caring support. He is the best

flag | Submitted June 2, 2015