Ratings for Dr. S. Turner-Gomes

I don't understand all the negative comments for this doctor. I was so nervous taking my 2.5 year old to her because some comments were so negative! Aside from the fact that I find it a bit odd there is no secretary or staff in the clinic the doctor was very good. She was patient with my son and very knowledgeable. She was a bit particular about where we put things and how to hold our son during the tests but she obviously has been doing this for a while and understand what works well. She was very sweet with him doing nursery rhymes with him during his ECG. She was super understanding and good with him. She also reassured us the results of the exams right away and put our minds at ease.

flag | Submitted February 8, 2017

We saw her recently with our 18 month old baby. She was pleasant. I found she had patience in spite of my baby going crazy and flailing around while she was trying to do the testing. She gave us a few minutes to cool off but that didn't really help. She did the best she could with the patient she was given! She tried several times to engage the baby with toys etc. She explained everything she did see based on the amount she could get from the exam. Recommend we come back when baby is 3ish and better able to handle these kinds of things. Overall, I think she did a good job given the situation. I'd go to her again if there are future issues.

flag | Submitted February 8, 2017

I have no doubt that Dr. Turner-Gomes is an intelligent, knowledgeable physician. In the end, that is what a parent wants for his or her child. That said, the doctor has absolutely no patience for children when they are being, well, children. 'Stop talking', 'don't touch that', 'take your feet off the chair', 'doesn't he take a pacifier?' I will never for get my son's second appointment. He was well fed and changed prior to the appointment but was still fussy. She had me sit on the end of the stretcher, at his feet, leaning over him with my arm hanging in the air, desperately dipping my finger in a sugar solution with the hope of him sucking on it and settling. It didn't work, my arm was killing me, she got increasingly frustrated and made me feel like I should have my four month old trained to lie still for an echo. As our visits continued, I wondered why a doctor, who clearly had no tolerance for children, would specialize in pediatrics?? This doctor clearly likes to exercise control in all things: she books her own appointments, she reschedules appointments, she takes health card information, she makes calls to remind you of your appointment, she insists upon removing the ECG stickers, she tells you what soap to bathe your child in the night before your appointment, she hauls her own equipment around, she has no staff... God help you if you have to bring another child with you as his or her breathing or movement will drive her nuts and you will get side eye requests to silence them. I am happy that my son has had his condition monitored over the years. I am grateful that he is healthy. I am grateful that visits to this doctor are no longer part of our routine.

flag | Submitted October 15, 2015

She has no staff and when we were 15 min early for our appointment for my 16 month old daughter she told us to go wait by the elevator bc she had some quiet work to do. She didn't acknowledge my daughter as a person at all and made no effort to hide her irritation as my daughter squirmed and cried through out the appointment. She was incredibly rude and condescending to me as well. She recommended my daughter have a repeat echo at 3 or 4 years when she might be better behaved. It certainly will not be with this doctor!!

flag | Submitted January 28, 2015

I brought my 14 month old son to see Dr. Turner-Gomes after my family doctor detected a heart murmur. I left her office feeling uncomfortable and scolded. Her bedside manner was very unprofessional and her interactions with my teary and frightened son were not warm. Parents with kids of all ages just need a little comfort and an opportunity to ask questions. At the end of the appointment I asked for clarification of something that she said and she responded with an abrupt "what did I just tell you?" I have no doubt that she is an incredibly competent and well respected doctor, but has very poor communication skills. I am very surprised that she chose paediatrics as a profession as it requires tremendous patience, warmth and respect, all things that she was definitely lacking.

flag | Submitted November 12, 2014

She was short and abrupt with my daughter. She told us to stop talking as she was attaching a monitor to my daughter because she "found it distracting and did not want to forget anything" All I was trying to do was explain to my daughter what was happening…found it very unprofessional that she told me to stop talking. I wouldn't have to talk if she did her job and told my distressed 6 year old why she had to be attached to a machine for 24 hours. There was no staff present in her office at all, which I also found frustrating. When we arrived she was on the phone with a parent sorting out health card issues. We had to sit and wait while she got that problem resolved before we were seen. Hoping that we do not have to return to this doctor anytime soon :(

flag | Submitted August 18, 2014

The Doctor was very short with my seven month old and showed none of the warmth as seen below. When the baby started to cry she seemed irritated. I asked if I could change the baby before the appointment as I couldn't find a washroom and she said preferably not in the office and could it wait? I said no as he would be fussy and she said that's fine but to take my diaper with me. I would not recommend this doctor.

flag | Submitted October 10, 2013

In the beginning I felt comfortable enough with her. Her demeanor seem to change over the years. I still cannot figure out why this was, so I just stop the visits completely. She seemed short with my child and I felt like we had imposed on her. I don't know enough to make a call on her as a doctor but we are now looking for another cardiologist. I know doctors are under alot of stress but so are parents.

flag | Submitted March 28, 2013

My son's been going to her for about 5 years now. She's a very good doctor, but as a person, not very welcoming or warm. Got very upset once because we were 5 minutes late for our appointment. We were coming here for the first time from another city and got lost.

flag | Submitted July 26, 2012

Not warm or welcoming at all. We have an 18 month old who is obviously active. She was not happy that we let him touch things in office. We had to hold him down to get testing completed. In stead of speaking to him in a warm and calming voice she told us to make sure we hold him tight and not to talk because it was distracting. We found it to be very stressful meeting with her and we do not think she does well with young child. Unless we got her on an off day??

flag | Submitted May 29, 2012