Ratings for Dr. Al Covens

I have very few regrets in my life but allowing this man to be my oncologist is one of them. Valerie Powell

flag | Submitted July 26, 2018

Dear Dr.Al Covens I am writing to express my gratittude for the treatment i received at your hands last march 22,2018. i was your first patient.It is a great feeling to know that u have someone to rely on in times of bad health. I sincerely thank you for making me feel better. My life was in your skillful and talented hands. It is not just the treatment, but the care and empathy shown by doctors like you which makes the world a better place to live in. You are a Credit to the medical profession.. Thank you., again ..Sincerely Miss R.Serrano

flag | Submitted July 26, 2018

Dr.Allan Covens..he’s the BEST.!!! He took care of me and make sure im OK. frim the begenning of my appt. until the end..He will give you a chance to ask any question..He’s very calm and quite, very nice..He’s very professional..He took a HUGE fibroid last march 22,2018..The surgery was successful, no complication or anything...He is the BEST surgeon..Thank you very much! Dr.Covens and the residents Dr..

flag | Submitted July 24, 2018

Dr. Covens is the BEST! I have no idea what you are all talking about! He is professional yes, and a super Surgeon, you should be lucky you are his patient. He is a world re-noun surgeon and is able to do ovarian transpositions, that will preserve your fertility as it did mine, 14 years later. You may want to look at your attitude and stop mistaking him for your Therapist.

flag | Submitted June 19, 2018

Dr. Covens and nurses at Odette Centre were very helpful, patient and friendly. Dr. Covens made me feel quite at ease as he examined and then discussed the surgery and what could be needed next. I felt his manner was friendly and supportive and he was happy to answer questions I had.

flag | Submitted June 2, 2017

I also had the unfortunate experience of seeing this "Doctor". He saw me fairly quickly, I had just learned i had cancer two days before seeing him, so I was still trying to digest this information at 30 years old. Things like having a family and my mortality were things I didn't think i had to think about right now, however this doctor's patients sit around like cattle waiting to be called at the odette centre "Waiting room", then when the clerk finally calls my name , she somehow starts taking another patient in and shows my personal information to figure out its the wrong patient. (which by the way I had to argue with the clerk for two mins trying to tell her she was taking in the wrong patient), started off on a bad note, but thought id try to remain calm. the clerk was so rude, incompetent and mean. It seems that she wasn't the only one. His resident was cold and insensitive. The doctor himself seemed to have somewhat better bed side manners than those other two however he lacked a great deal of information in that he put me on the wrong dose of medication (I got transferred to PMH and they corrected this- told me it was "homeopathic dosing") and he wanted me to get my uterus taken out. However a year later I'm cancer free and still have all my parts, no thanks to dr covens. i felt somehow violated by the whole process at sunny brook. would not wish this experience on anyone.

flag | Submitted April 24, 2017

We had the unfortunate chance to use Dr. Covens. I agree with the comment below. If surgery is not an option and you are too old or too ill then go see him. He will make sure that you die. He has the answer I don't know as a response to all your questions. He definitely needs to go back to med school to learn about bedside manner!

flag | Submitted February 18, 2017

Perhaps if you require surgery, dr covens is able to provide an acceptable level of care. However, I would advise anyone who is sent his way and/or too ill or old for surgery to avoid him like the plague. In fact, the plague may be an easier solution that a spare 15 minute consultation with a surgeon suffering with an overly inflated ego and delusions of grandeur. He appears to be overly sensitive to criticism, and needs to be treated with kid gloves. Perhaps he should go back to medical school for retraining in bedside manner 101?

flag | Submitted January 25, 2017

i guess he is an ok surgeon but I dont believe he does much of the surgeries. he leaves the completion of surgery to his fellows and interns to botch things up. Like they did with my wife. He does have a large case load so he does get right to the point he does not have time for emotion . after my wife's surgery at a our next appointment - it was - "you have squamous carcinoma - there is no additional surgery and no cure - you have 2 years to live at best - sorry -bye!"

flag | Submitted January 2, 2017

An excellent surgeon,excellent fellows, and staff. Interpersonal,skills are not his strong suit, I experienced him as being arrogant and lacking empathy and compassion. I felt as though I was on an assembly line when I was being examined by him, and that he gave time management a new meaning

flag | Submitted November 30, 2016