Ratings for Dr. Al Covens

Dr. Covens and nurses at Odette Centre were very helpful, patient and friendly. Dr. Covens made me feel quite at ease as he examined and then discussed the surgery and what could be needed next. I felt his manner was friendly and supportive and he was happy to answer questions I had.

flag | Submitted June 2, 2017

I also had the unfortunate experience of seeing this "Doctor". He saw me fairly quickly, I had just learned i had cancer two days before seeing him, so I was still trying to digest this information at 30 years old. Things like having a family and my mortality were things I didn't think i had to think about right now, however this doctor's patients sit around like cattle waiting to be called at the odette centre "Waiting room", then when the clerk finally calls my name , she somehow starts taking another patient in and shows my personal information to figure out its the wrong patient. (which by the way I had to argue with the clerk for two mins trying to tell her she was taking in the wrong patient), started off on a bad note, but thought id try to remain calm. the clerk was so rude, incompetent and mean. It seems that she wasn't the only one. His resident was cold and insensitive. The doctor himself seemed to have somewhat better bed side manners than those other two however he lacked a great deal of information in that he put me on the wrong dose of medication (I got transferred to PMH and they corrected this- told me it was "homeopathic dosing") and he wanted me to get my uterus taken out. However a year later I'm cancer free and still have all my parts, no thanks to dr covens. i felt somehow violated by the whole process at sunny brook. would not wish this experience on anyone.

flag | Submitted April 24, 2017

We had the unfortunate chance to use Dr. Covens. I agree with the comment below. If surgery is not an option and you are too old or too ill then go see him. He will make sure that you die. He has the answer I don't know as a response to all your questions. He definitely needs to go back to med school to learn about bedside manner!

flag | Submitted February 18, 2017

Perhaps if you require surgery, dr covens is able to provide an acceptable level of care. However, I would advise anyone who is sent his way and/or too ill or old for surgery to avoid him like the plague. In fact, the plague may be an easier solution that a spare 15 minute consultation with a surgeon suffering with an overly inflated ego and delusions of grandeur. He appears to be overly sensitive to criticism, and needs to be treated with kid gloves. Perhaps he should go back to medical school for retraining in bedside manner 101?

flag | Submitted January 25, 2017

i guess he is an ok surgeon but I dont believe he does much of the surgeries. he leaves the completion of surgery to his fellows and interns to botch things up. Like they did with my wife. He does have a large case load so he does get right to the point he does not have time for emotion . after my wife's surgery at a our next appointment - it was - "you have squamous carcinoma - there is no additional surgery and no cure - you have 2 years to live at best - sorry -bye!"

flag | Submitted January 2, 2017

An excellent surgeon,excellent fellows, and staff. Interpersonal,skills are not his strong suit, I experienced him as being arrogant and lacking empathy and compassion. I felt as though I was on an assembly line when I was being examined by him, and that he gave time management a new meaning

flag | Submitted November 30, 2016

I had an appointment with Dr Covens in the Spring for a Colposcopy and LEEP procedure. I was shocked at his poor bedside manner, which devolved into his treating me in an undignified and disrespectful way. Before we started, he asked me to scoot down the table, and put his hands on my hips to (lightly) pull me down. No other nurse or doctor has ever put their hands on me to reposition my body, and it was totally unnecessary (i.e. I can follow instructions). He then put his hands between my knees and nudged them apart saying--"you need to open your legs". Essentially, I was not moving fast enough for him, and he was literally manhandling my body. He was obviously not taking into account in any real way the stress of undergoing this kind of invasive procedure. At his point I started to get upset and cry a little, as the whole procedure is both a mental and physical stress, without the added anxiety of a male doctor brusquely performing an invasive procedure. At this point I asked him to please slow down, and let him know "I am very nervous and stressed out". He continued, making small talk. The kind female nurse then chimed in with "This patient previously fainted during a procedure" to which Dr. Covens responded "Oh, well SHE'S FRAGILE". Unbelievable: a doctor making this kind of totally sexist remark about a female patient having a normal bodily response to a procedure. It suggests there is a "right" way to react to having implements touching and removing parts of your cervix. In his professional opinion, is fainting a sign of female weakness, not a response to physical stimuli? The whole thing harkened back to the idea of women as "hysteric" patients. Very very poor bedside manner--I refuse to see him for my follow up and urge others to avoid as well--at least for this kind of procedure.

flag | Submitted August 18, 2016

Dr Covens saved my ovary. While another surgeon had suggested to remove my ovary he went for the safest, least invasive option. He considers your age, fertility and your well-being in his treatment plan. (He sees you as a whole not merely a tumor as some surgeon do). He is humble and friendly. He might not be very communicative, but he is an excellent and accountable surgeon. I wish the best for him in his carrier and life.

flag | Submitted December 3, 2015

Don't let his rough shell scare you!! An excellent surgeon who knows exactly what needs to be done . I feel great after my surgery and I would highly recommend him .

flag | Submitted November 7, 2015

Excellent Doctor. Very professional and a highly skilled surgeon. He was able to save my fertility with an Ovarian Transposition. He is kind and friendly. I definitely recommend him. Thank-you Dr. Covens!

flag | Submitted August 8, 2015