Ratings for Dr. Gerhard Malherbe

Dr M is as LOVELY as he he forgetful/absentminded. As a human being Id rate him in the 90th percentile. He really does care, even when he spends the whole appt facing the computer and forgets to make eye contact. :-) Yes indeed Mr Negative review down below...he is MOST CERTAINLY unafraid to use a search engine when he doesnt know the answer to something and WE LOVE that about him! He will most certainly in the course of being your Dr will forget to refer you to the specialist you asked about, so get ready to give him a gentle reminder (A small price to pay for a Dr that truly has your family's Heath and Wellness as his primary concern.) He also lacks something else, and this is a BIG one, unlike most Dr's he is completely DEVOID of that self-possesed, slightly pretentious air that seems to be a pre-requisite for taking the MCAT. There is one thing he will never do for you though, he will 100% NEVER make you feel like any question you have is silly stupid, or tell you that you should not feel a certain way. Dont expectt him to remember your kids names though, even after 10 years. My husband still refuses to see him because he doesnt feel heard and gets frustrated my how often Dr M interrupts ALL of us during appts. Also, he cancels appointment ALOT, this is extremely frustrating, but just let him know how these things affect you, he is so open and humble, its quite a thing to see. Dr M will never make you feel ashamed of ANYTHING, and is a bit of an anomaly in the SQ area in terms of the time and effort he puts in to ensuring that your Mental Health is being taken seriously. That being said, a few of us felt like there was too much emphasis put on trying many and varied meds to treat our issues. A few years ago we began having some issues with the way we felt we were being treated. When that happened we did what most people do when unsatisfied with a Dr, and instead of building trust by being transparent and honest about how we felt, and giving him a chance to make things right,...we said nothing and built resentment by complaining amongst ourselves. When we did a overhaul of our lives and decided to try and live our lives as authentically as possible, we let him know wha we were doing and told him how we felt ashamed at our past behaviour re: feeling resentful about things that we didnt't have the courtesy to give him chance to rectify and/or at least acknowledge. During that appointment he seemed delighted that we were trying to make positive change and was very supportive, humble, and grateful for the chance to build a better Dr/patient(s) relationship. The only thing he refused to accept and acknowledge was our apology for not being honest in the first place. You don't have to apologize, not at all said the man who never dreamed of being a Dr, and only went to medical school because he didnt have the grades to become a Vet. I for one am glad that the animals of South Africa didn't get him! Thank you Dr M, you are one of the Good ones!.

flag | Submitted August 8, 2019

Dr. Malherbe is truly an amazing physician. We met him in the ED at Squamish. He was dealing with an addiction issue and we have never encountered such a caring and focused approach to a problem. He looked beyond the addiction and treated the underlying mental health issues. No other physician (and there have been many) has done this. My spouse is well into recovery, and I can tell you without any hesitation that Dr. Malherbe saved her life. Thank you. I wish we lived near to your practice.

flag | Submitted December 14, 2018

Amazing family doctor :) ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

flag | Submitted May 7, 2018

My family moved from Squamish to W. Van 9 years ago and to this day we still make the trip to see Dr. Malherbe for any health concerns. We've 'auditioned' others close by but nobody's care matches that of Gerhard's. He is honestly the best!

flag | Submitted May 1, 2018

Dr Malherbe is by far the best doctor I have ever heard of and I am so thankful to have him as my doctor. He is also my life partner’s doctor and we are very happy the care and attention we get from Dr. Malherbe.

flag | Submitted March 30, 2018

Absolutely amazing. The best doctor I have ever had

flag | Submitted December 2, 2017

Love him, seen him many years now; and he has always given me his best care. Regardless of the problems and issues I’ve thrown his way. He sees my hole family, and we have always been happy with his care!

flag | Submitted November 24, 2017

Amazing doctor. Has saved many of my families lives. Super caring and actually remembers who you are lol he truly cares about his patients. Saved my life during labour

flag | Submitted June 26, 2017

The previous reviewer nailed it on the head: "Very direct and no nonsense and it's great. Tell him symptoms, he gives his best guess of what it could be, no fuss, no extra. Don't waste his time with unnecessary info and he gets right to a plan of action". That was exactly my experience and thoughts. I also liked how he took the "worst case scenario" approach so all bases were covered. I found he truly was concerned for me and that I wasn't just another number...which I was initially worried about as he seems to be extremely busy! Thumbs up for Dr Malerbe!

flag | Submitted April 22, 2017

I call him DR. Google. Want the answer? Just google it. Same thing. If you graduate from the bottom of your class in medical school what do they call you? Doctor.

flag | Submitted March 14, 2017