Ratings for Dr. Karen Gelmon

Dr Gelmon caught a biopsy error and got me on medication that saved my life. She is kind, compassionate and really listens to her patients. I've never had such a wonderful doctor.

flag | Submitted August 30, 2017

She has been my dr for over 10 yrs Deff one of the best.She gets things done quickly and deff cares adt her patients.

flag | Submitted August 29, 2017

Dr. Gelmon has been my oncologist for almost 4 years. As I live outside the catchment area I was very blessed in having a friend who worked as a nurse with Dr. Gelmon at the cancer clinic. That nurse is now retired but when I told her about my cancer -- triple negative AND the tumor was very large -- she said I absolutely had to see Dr. Gelmon. She sent an e-mail to Dr. Gelmon requesting that she take me as her patient. Dr. Gelmon answered this friend at midnight on a Sunday night that she would be very happy to have me as her patient and to tell me to get my G.P. to send in a referral. The rest is history, as they say. My first meeting with her did not go very well as the mastectomy was still leaking very badly. Dr. Gelmon was so patient and caring with us (my husband and I) that we left feeling very hopeful after having felt like we'd been run over by a truck. We can't say enough good things about how fortunate it was that I told my friend about my diagnosis. I had to have chemotherapy and radiation, but so far I am still here and feeling quite well. I also had a problem with the aeortic valve in my heart and Dr. Gelmon immediately set me up with the Cardiac Oncology unit at VGH. She just can't seem to do enough for her patients. I am forever grateful to this wonderful, caring doctor.

flag | Submitted February 6, 2017

You have got to make that first connection with your oncologist and i was able to from day one. Dr. Gelmon was very knowledgeable, empathetic, and confident that it made me feel absolutely confident that Divine Providence had put me in the right hands.

flag | Submitted December 8, 2016

Dr. Gelmon has been my oncologist for the past three months since my breast cancer diagnosis. I was incredibly lucky to be referred to her by my GP. She is everything an oncologist should be: knowledgable, compassionate, efficient, thorough and accessible. I feel as if we are addressing my cancer as a team and that she is doing everything that is possible to help me get through this in the best way possible. I couldn't have asked for a better doctor. I'm so thankful for her expertise and years and years of hard work.

flag | Submitted September 1, 2016

Dr. Gelmon has been a blessing for me. I feel so fortunate to have her as my oncologist. I have been her patient for three years and always leave my appointments feeling well looked after and hopeful. I have so much admiration and respect for her and her team. She is amazing!

flag | Submitted February 25, 2016

I entered the Fairmont building with fear and left with a smile. Dr. Gelmon and every member of her staff were amazing today, my first meeting. I am now confident there are people to help me...Karen Gelmon must have had excellent parents to give her a strong start in life, and be driven herself to have committed so much of her life to the science of cancer and all it entails. Her family and the medical community must be so proud of her. Her staff, Jennifer was caring and knew what to tell the Dr., Janice the resident, Judy who took my stats , and the very first woman who greeted me on arrival was ??? but I will always remember her kindness if not her name. I also spoke with Mr. Crawford who is will get calls from my husband and I ongoing...not because we are going to jump off the Burrard, but because he will be there to help us through this. I could not say 'through' this earlier today, Karen Gelmon made me feel I can and will. GET THROUGH IT. I CAN.

flag | Submitted November 28, 2014

Dr. Karen Gelmon is very knowledgeable and experienced. She is caring, compassionate and gentle when going over your diagnosis and explaining the required care. It is amazing how on the ball she is with her patients' care. I am extremely blessed and grateful to have her as my oncologist.

flag | Submitted October 22, 2014

I have been a patient if Dr G's for the past 4 yrs. she is amazing! Explains things thoroughly .. She is not here to coddle and console me she is here to help me live and can be sweet when needed! I'm soooo lucky to have her as my Dr!

flag | Submitted September 6, 2014

Dr. Gelmon is excellent. She is a very warm and caring oncologist...Would highly recommend her to anyone.

flag | Submitted June 13, 2013