Ratings for Dr. Karen Gelmon

Dr. Gelmon has been my oncologist for the past three months since my breast cancer diagnosis. I was incredibly lucky to be referred to her by my GP. She is everything an oncologist should be: knowledgable, compassionate, efficient, thorough and accessible. I feel as if we are addressing my cancer as a team and that she is doing everything that is possible to help me get through this in the best way possible. I couldn't have asked for a better doctor. I'm so thankful for her expertise and years and years of hard work.

flag | Submitted September 1, 2016

Dr. Gelmon has been a blessing for me. I feel so fortunate to have her as my oncologist. I have been her patient for three years and always leave my appointments feeling well looked after and hopeful. I have so much admiration and respect for her and her team. She is amazing!

flag | Submitted February 25, 2016

I entered the Fairmont building with fear and left with a smile. Dr. Gelmon and every member of her staff were amazing today, my first meeting. I am now confident there are people to help me...Karen Gelmon must have had excellent parents to give her a strong start in life, and be driven herself to have committed so much of her life to the science of cancer and all it entails. Her family and the medical community must be so proud of her. Her staff, Jennifer was caring and knew what to tell the Dr., Janice the resident, Judy who took my stats , and the very first woman who greeted me on arrival was ??? but I will always remember her kindness if not her name. I also spoke with Mr. Crawford who is will get calls from my husband and I ongoing...not because we are going to jump off the Burrard, but because he will be there to help us through this. I could not say 'through' this earlier today, Karen Gelmon made me feel I can and will. GET THROUGH IT. I CAN.

flag | Submitted November 28, 2014

Dr. Karen Gelmon is very knowledgeable and experienced. She is caring, compassionate and gentle when going over your diagnosis and explaining the required care. It is amazing how on the ball she is with her patients' care. I am extremely blessed and grateful to have her as my oncologist.

flag | Submitted October 22, 2014

I have been a patient if Dr G's for the past 4 yrs. she is amazing! Explains things thoroughly .. She is not here to coddle and console me she is here to help me live and can be sweet when needed! I'm soooo lucky to have her as my Dr!

flag | Submitted September 6, 2014

Dr. Gelmon is excellent. She is a very warm and caring oncologist...Would highly recommend her to anyone.

flag | Submitted June 13, 2013

I have been a Patient of Dr Gelmons for 2.5 YRS.. She is extremly knowledgable, she explains thoroughly what she is doing and then why she is doing it.. Very professional.. She has a good bedside manner but does not coddle you.. She is there to help you live not pat your shoulder. She knows what she is doing and does it.. I am blessed to have her as my Dr..

flag | Submitted February 12, 2013

I found this doctor to be irritable, stressed and rushed. During my treatments, I ALWAYS left her office in tears due to her apparent lack of empathy and her short temper. She may be a highly knowledgeable doctor but seems very uncaring to individual patients.

flag | Submitted May 27, 2012

Dr. Gelmon is one of the most amazing oncologists I've ever met. She is on top of all the research out there, will take time to sit and answer all your questions, she encourages questions, and she has a heart of gold and compassion. She hugs me during every appointment and told me she is willing to do anything it takes to make me better. She always finds the silver lining in every situation, even when she has to report the results of a bad scan. She emails me back promptly answering my questions or addressing my concerns. I don't know how she does it. She is superwoman.

flag | Submitted October 29, 2011

I have a lot of faith in Dr Gelmon. She is a leader in her field and like most doctors, she's super busy. So I do feel rushed when I see her, but that's OK. If I'm prepared with questions, our short time together is very productive. I find her compassionate but not 'over the top' and have no complaints about her behavior. Cancer is very difficult no matter what. I think people need to ensure they find support from other places in addition to their oncologist.

flag | Submitted March 1, 2011