Ratings for Dr. J. Rafe Sales

I was referred to Dr. Sales regarding Spinal Stenosis, and deformity of the spine causing me to walk bent to the side. He apparently looked at my MRI before coming in, then announce he would do a laminectomy without addressing the deformity. When I asked about that, he seemed disinterested, and said it might help. He didn't inspre confidence.

flag | Submitted April 2, 2019

The staff at the clinic is rude and it feels like they go out of their way to be unhelpful. The entire experience felt like we were simply a payday. Post-op care was mediocre—they talked about the vital importance of physical therapy, but were unable to recommend anyone to see. They were aggressively dismissive when pressed to provide a recommendation of anyone to see. Getting prescriptions from them post-op has been a huge pain—they lost the records of the prescription that they ordered for us initially. What we were told before our surgery, and we recorded it to make sure we understood it all, was that pain would be tremendously diminished pretty much immediately after surgery. Instead, recovery has taken weeks and nearly two months afterward the pain experienced is more than what we had initially. I would strongly reconsider having the surgery at all and would DEFINITELY NOT have the surgery, or any surgery, conducted by Dr. Sales. I cannot stress enough how horrible my experience was and how disappointed I have been with the care received by this clinic.

flag | Submitted March 28, 2017

I had a microdiscectomy and was told by Dr. Sales that within a few days my pain would be greatly improved. A couple days post surgery I was in the worst pain in my life. I was not told that nerve pain was a possible occurrence post-surgery. The staff was unhelpful, dismissive, and contradicted themselves. It was only after 3-4 phone calls and a long email that I finally got a call from Dr. Sales. The call was brief and unhelpful and there was no follow up. At my 4-week follow up appointment, I was told how important PT was and then not given any recommendations for who to go to for PT. I am still in worse pain than before the surgery. If they had more thorough and consistent communication and clearly laid out expectations, this experience would have been a lot better.

flag | Submitted March 22, 2017

My father inlaw had surgery for his back. Dr. Sales and his office people are Amazing.

flag | Submitted October 6, 2015

Excellent surgeon and team. They performed surgery on me with wonderful results. I have no pain any longer at this point. I couldnt recommend him any higher.

flag | Submitted June 24, 2015

Dr Sales performed one lumbar disc surgery on me a few years back. This was my number three lumbar surgery . After surgery I awoke in much more intense pain than after the previous two surgeries. It was only from another doctor friend I discovered that in the process of inserting a "cage" between the two vertebrae one of the vertebrae had been cracked, possibly because the cage was a bit too large. Also my pain patch was removed for surgery, which is typical, but was never replaced. It took me 24-36 hours after surgery to discover this since the patch was always on my back and out of sight. Unfortunately, Dr Sales never talked to me about either of these incidents. Consequently I suffered way beyond what was normal and ended up barely able to walk for the first week, plus a complete numbness of one thigh that still lingers to some degree yet several years later. I believe lack of experience on Dr Sales part contributed to the mishaps, and hopefully he has learned a great deal since then. Also, I hope he has acquired the courage to discuss the occasional mishap with his patients and be willing to be humble; not to blame the patient in order to save his own neck. Nevertheless I would be real hesitant to seek his services again unless I could observe a very real change.

flag | Submitted October 12, 2014

Dr. Sales did thoracic fusion surgery on my wife. Initially he promised that the surgery would give her 25 to 75 % improvement. He did the surgery, and post surgical issues started at home. She had extreme pain. I called the office, and the staff was rude and Dr. Sales never returned called. Basically once he was paid, he washed his hands of my wife. She was rehospitalized for continued pain, and again we called, he never showed or called. After she was released, she had her first followup visit at Dr. sales office. His staff, was not friendly. We were placed in a room and waited for him. He came into the room, stood across the room about 5-6 ft away from her. He showed a paper picture of her hardware in her back, sad things looked good. He never examined her back, never looked at the surgical area. He never touched her, to check for strength, pain, assessment or anything. In my opinion, Dr. Sales should not be allowed to do thoracic surgery. He is a bad surgeon.

flag | Submitted June 22, 2014

We found Dr. Sales after we had two visits with the previous neurosurgeon. Dr. Sales is extremely empathetic and compassionate towards us. He took his time to explain and reiterate his thought process with us. He is not the type of surgeon that rushes his patients to decide towards surgery. He advocates for the best interest in his patients. He is up to date with evidence base medicine and research. We are also extremely pleased with his ancillary support staff (both clinic and surgery location). His physician assistant is also knowledgable and competent. There is absolutely no hestitation when the decision was made to go forward with surgery to have Dr. Sales perform the procedure.

flag | Submitted June 25, 2013

Dr. Sales was cold, detached, made promises he could not keep as to the outcome of the surgery (I've worked in 4 hospitals, 3 in the operating room); he made me far worse than prior to the surgery. I'm in worse pain than before, and he will not even return my calls. PLEASE! see someone else! I surely wish I had! Now its too late!

flag | Submitted May 28, 2013

I rate Dr.Sales very high.My son been fortunate to have Dr. Sales and his team operate on him just hours after a horrible auto accident,that had broke his back badly.Due to his great skills and care,and good choice in assistant,and staff members,my son is healing nicely and walking,which is truly amazing.We are Thankful to him!

flag | Submitted July 6, 2012

Dr. J. Rafe Sales's Credentials

• Albany Medical College Of Union University (Grad. 2002)

Bakery & Confectionary Union Plan