Ratings for Dr. Alexander Yan

I am very surprised at these comments. I found Dr Yan to be very kind and to the point. People think he fat shames, but the reality is weight is a HUGE factor to relieving your symptoms. You may not want to hear it, but it is NOT fat shaming. I found his secretary (who is new) to very cheery, friendly, and helpful. The other staff in that office work for their perspective doctors not one doctor.

flag | Submitted December 6, 2016

Good doctor, terrible manner and staff . I have been seeing Dr Yan for over a year for seronegative rheumatoid arthritis and had been quite satisfied with his care. This changed yesterday when I went in for a follow-up on some tests. After hearing the test results, I asked for clarification and was told to consult my PCP. He clearly misunderstood my questions, told me I hadn't been listening, and when I tried to rephrase my situation, he lectured me for several minutes on how I was wasting his time and causing delays in his practice. In the end, he gave me the answers I had been seeking, but not until after he had reduced me to tears by belittling my life situation, my intellect, and my value to him as a patient. I felt that his attitude and words showed great contempt for his patients and will be seeking a referral to another rheumatologist.

flag | Submitted November 25, 2016

Great Doctor for my Lupus. Staff if quite rude though. Dr. Yan could improve on customer service as staff is snotty.

flag | Submitted October 26, 2016

I found Dr Yan to be very knowledgable and articulate in his explanation of my concerns. His diagnosed comported correctly to that of my referring physician. Very professional. No time wasted with off-topic chatter, as can happen with some specialists. He was as prepared for my appointment as I was, and was on time within 10 minutes. I would certainly recommend him, especially if you are a senior.

flag | Submitted October 20, 2016

I am very upset. I travel from out of town to see Doctor Yan. I had arrived in Edmonton only to find that he was not there. Very disappointed that I was not contacted or informed he would be on vacation. Travelling this distance takes time, money, my husband away from work, and packing up my children to be here. Besides, now waiting longer to review my condition. Just a reminder to all, ease call and confirm your appointment the morning of... I usually do but obviously not today.

flag | Submitted October 18, 2016

Love him. Explains everything and never leaves you guessing.

flag | Submitted October 11, 2016

I Just got referred to a new rheumatologist because of how terrible Dr. Yan's bedside manner is. He diagnosed me and is a very intelligent man, but he is constantly overbooked, and after 4 years with him on the same medication plan that was working for me, I was told I had to be RE-referred for a standard check up appointment that I've been getting every 6 months for years. His wait list is months long just like any other rheumatologist, and I had run out of my meds that help me live a normal life free of debilitating pain. My condition is not one that you ever grow out of or cure, therefore being kicked off his patient list makes absolutely no sense at all. He is very emotionless and short. Having said that, he is the only Doctor that could diagnose me after years of specialists so I will give him that. Overall, I would not recommend him to you due to my experience. His receptionist also forgot to fax MRI and X-ray requests multiple times and is extremely difficult to reach.

flag | Submitted August 3, 2016

This doctor is paid to work for Wcb . His diagnosis was very incorrect!! He just told me I had something - that I actually didn't have . Reason was it easy to do a Wcb report for them . Plus how else would he get paid if he didn't make Wcb happy! So I went to a non- working Wcb Rhuematolgist and sure enough he actually did testing and found out what was wrong . Dr. Yan is rude / short / not helpful/ has no care in the world! Coldest heartless man for a doctor. So disappointed in is bedside manners and unprofessional... Doctors like him should be reviwed and monitored to make sure he does his job correctly and not making up lies for Wcb ... Sad !!!!!!!!!

flag | Submitted June 15, 2016

I believe Dr. Yan is the best in this field. Always punctual, always professional, and very knowledgeable. I have been with him a long time and he always kind to me. I am pleased to have him as my Doctor.

flag | Submitted April 19, 2016

He was awful and only fat shamed me....I was 20 lbs overweight, but had just given birth ! Brought in my husband from the waiting room to try to humiliate me in front of him as well. Saw another Dr who diagnosed me with a severe degenerative disease.

flag | Submitted January 8, 2016