Ratings for Dr. Pieter Strauss

Dr. Pieter Strauss became my psychiatrist in 2001 after a traumatic event that left me in a severe depression. I had many well years after his exceptional care. In 2011 after a work accident I again suffered with severe insomnia and acute severe depression. I will never forget one day I asked in fear and frustation, " Dr. Strauss what are you going to do with me?" He replied calmly and with conviction." We are going to keep you alive. I will hope for you until you are able to hope for yourself." Dr. Strauss knows the human heart as well as meds. Both have kept me alive. I owe my sanity if not my life to him.

flag | Submitted May 18, 2016

He has been the biggest blessing in my life and anyone who’s fortunate enough to meet him would and have said the same thing. Dr. Strauss is the least judgmental person in the whole world. He’s always made me feel comfortable and encourages openness and honesty. Honesty is the only way to go if I want to get the best out of your sessions with Dr. Strauss. I truly believe that Dr. Strauss gives the MOST incredible advice and support - however, one personally needs to be open and ready to actually listen and willing to work on themselves if they want to receive the full benefit of what he’s able to offer. I've noticed that for myself - only when I was willing to accept help and advice was I able to better my life. He has a tremendous wisdom about how to handle difficult situations and how to work not only on difficult relationships that I’ve had in my life but more importantly how to take the control into my own hands and to be happy with myself and my life regardless of what life might throw at me. He has the sweetest, kindest spirit and genuinely cares about each and every of his patients. If a patient says otherwise it’s because they are mentally ill and have serious issues - which makes reviewing any psychiatrist tricky since those with the severe mental illness will be the ones to write and say outrages, untrue, exaggerated things. I look up to him for so many reasons. He is one of the most amazing person I've ever met in my life. I look up to him for how he probably on a daily basis handles challenging cliental, but regardless he doesn’t seem to let it bother him and in doing so in his practice daily - he definitely practices what he preaches, which in turn for me shows what a strength of character he has and that the advice he has to offer truly works.

flag | Submitted March 9, 2016

Dr.Strauss changed my life. I had battled depression all my life and attempted suicide in my earlier years. I am now very happily married, and finishing up an engineering degree with top marks. I haven't seen him in a while but he's really the one that made it all possible.

flag | Submitted February 23, 2016

This man, as 'all over the place' he can be, has been my saviour. He has limited time. But uses it well. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Amazing. Joyful, Optomistic and kknowledgeable. Hes amazing. I wish he had more time.

flag | Submitted January 15, 2016

The Absolutely Best Dr. Ever!! Very thorough, educated, worldy and compassionate.

flag | Submitted December 2, 2015

I would highly recommend Dr Strauss to anyone! I have seen many psychiatrists over the years for anxiety, depression, and mild brain damage. I was used to them not having personalities and leaning towards over medicating. My first visit to Dr Strauss I was a nervous wreck. What kind of Dr would he be? Before I could say a word he went into a speech about how he is there to be my helper and he addressed every concern I had from negative past experiences. I am well aware that my mental health is my battle and I'm the one who changes my thoughts and problem solving techniques. But he was definitely my coach. Finding the right mix of meds with the least side effects, and CBT therapy. I'm now at a point where I'm working part time and may even become full time some day. I had been told I was going to be medicated and on disability my whole life but with the help of Dr Strauss I've worked through many road blocks. Now I don't feel like a broken person. I feel like my struggles, cracks and chips have been glued together with gold. That broken is beautiful. Kintsugi - the Japanese art of repairing broken pottery with lacquer dusted or mixed with powdered gold, silver, or platinum, As a philosophy it treats breakage and repair as part of the history of an object, rather than something to disguise. highlighting the cracks and repairs as simply an event in the life of an object rather than allowing its service to end at the time of its damage or breakage. Thank you Dr Strauss. I won't throw my self in the garbage but I'll look back at my battle scars with pride that I made it through.

flag | Submitted October 15, 2015

Integrity in Medicine, Excellence in Healthcare, Patient Focused Care.

flag | Submitted June 25, 2015

What a nightmare. What an utter and complete nightmare I went through in the early 2000, starting with Dr. Pieter Strauss. It all started when I was a mid 40's woman with a good little business and writer for the community paper. Suddenly I wasn't feeling so well. I was sad. No energy. Anxious all of the time. I went to a family doctor and was given anti-depressants. In addition I drank, I ate anti-anxiety medication like candy. My moods were swinging more than a monkey in a forest. So, after a brief hospital stay enter Dr. Peter psychiatrist: diagnosis, bi-polar. Later, my pharmacist said he was alarmed and he had never seen anyone on so many drugs so quickly. Brain drugs. Mood drugs. Anti-psychotic drugs (even though I never had a manic or psychotic episode in my life). This bizarre new world went on for more years. Things got quite a bit worse after the death of my son (by then I had zero coping skills, only pills and wine to fall back on) and I gave in to mental illness. All in. Disability cheques for life if I wanted them. I left my husband, left my career, I left Abbotsford to find I don't know what, but it ended up being hell. More drugs. More diagnosis, more suicide...think about it...depression turned to bi-polar, lack of focus turned to ADHD, flashbacks led to PTSD, electrifying feelings in my brain led to anti-psychotic. It was a never ending helpless, hopeless, cruel and uncompassionate world that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Borderline personality was offered when I became disagreeable with psychiatrists and their solutions. I am only alive because my spirit was stronger than those labels and those drugs. In 2007 I weaned myself off (no doctor would help me, of course) and almost died in the process. I pushed through. A year later I was ready. Ready to deal with what pushed me over the edge mentally. I never did like counselling much; just swishing around in the mud adding the pain over and over until it becomes ingrained in your subconscious mind causing more darkness. I had the fortune of learning something through someone else, and I called a Clinical Hypnotherapist in my area. I went to 14 sessions and never looked back. I went back in my mind, and with my more mature, adult, wiser self, went back and saved the emotional well being of the girl who was abused so horribly. I became my own physician. I gave the little girl everything she needed until I could feel to healing to my bones. It was all mental, of course. I reframed events using my powerful mind; I brought mental choices to that little child in there who was creating so much drama in my life. There hasn't been a mentally unstable moment since. Before it gets to any point, I now listen to myself. Even better, I obey myself. Thanks for everything Dr. Peter. you put me on a path I wouldn't change for the world. You entered me into the pharmaceutical system of hell and made me hit a bottom so low I had no place else to go but up. Because of you I am a sound, stable, alternative mental health practitioner talking against science and psychiatry. There isn't a thing scientific about what you do and how you label and what you dish out to fix matters of the soul. Lots and lots of industries are counting on people being mental cases. And yours is at the top of the list. Anyway, you once said I would write a book about bi-polar one day. Well, guess what, I wrote the book. It had nothing to do about bi-polar, other than my chapter about how you and other scientists tried to kill my spirit, if not my body. Turns out I had trauma as a child, and suffered with episodes of PTSD, and the trauma was what needed to be healed, silly, not my brain! My book is called, Evil Eyes, A Daughter's Memoir and can be found at Amazon.ca The other thing is, I want to know if it is true that the pharmaceutical companies pay for all of your kickbacks and fun at medical training conventions? I was thinking of doing a speech at one but understood the pharmaceutical companies who are paying for everything don't like my good news for mental cases. The beauty of real true healing is that there are no feelings of being a victim whatsoever. Today I can objectively look back and see where I am 100% responsible for every single thing that happened to me within the science community. Strange, it was like I wase in a hypnotic trance all going for a drugs to make me better in the face of LIFE! The commercials pretending to care told me to ask my doctor about drugs to stop my symptoms! Big mistake. Huge. My bad. Doctors only respond to what you tell them. I got it. Anyway, I do not wish you ill (like you did me), but hope one day you become enlightened to what the hell it is you scientists are actually doing to society, and women in general. Just think about it. Cherylann Thomas, West Kelowna.

Submitted February 28, 2015

I first met Dr. Strauss the summer of 1970. I was almost 16 years old. I had been severely assaulted, my wounds had healed, and I was in need of a psychiatrist to deal with the trauma. He rescued me, at a time when psychiatrists actually listened and took notes. He was so down to earth and truthful. It was refreshing and comforting being with him. I have been misunderstood by doctors in the past, and to my surprise, I have the opportunity to have a visit with Dr. Strauss, 2 years ago as a psych patient in Abbotsford. I didn't recognize him at first, but felt that same kind approach I felt 42 years before. He kindly recognized right away that I deal with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. It is a kinder diagnosis than I received from other doctors. I would love to be a patient of his but am told he doesn't take on any new patients, he is so busy. He recognized that one of my problems in life, was my confidence. A teenaged girl is often thinking about how they look. Comparing myself to what I see on TV is not healthy. I should go to a crowded place and watch people. Most people are ordinary. For an ordinary person, I was lovely he said. He made so much sense to me, that I repeated those thoughts to my children as they grew. He helped me understand myself, the assault, and my hospital experience. He helped me to understand that some of my memories, were me having an out of body experience. He took me to a bathroom. A big room where bathing was done. He showed me a tub with a stretcher above it. He tells me, that it was when I shed a few tears, as they lowered me into the water, that I wanted to live. This provokes other memories that I had in the bathroom. I remember going with him to look at my chart, I did not know that such good records were kept, I wanted to read them all. There were too many abbreviations and words that I would have to learn and he took upon himself the chore of summarizing my hospital stay in words I could understand. He was working on that, when I abruptly left the hospital without notice, or returning. So sad, I was that I wasn’t going back to the hospital. I write this so that I can in my heart, mind and soul…. thank him for all his fine efforts with me the Summer of 1970. I thank him, for giving me a breathe of fresh air, the day he met with me 2 years ago. He got older, but he was still the same kind and understanding man I remember. If he reads this, I want him to know that I am remembering my hospital stay, and it’s not filled with fear and dread.

Submitted January 6, 2015

Not only did he cured me of this horrible, on going illness, he saved my life and I'm ever so grateful.

flag | Submitted December 31, 2014