Ratings for Dr. Pieter Strauss

I have been a patient of Dr. Strauss since 2001. There have been many years when I have been well and not needed to be under his care. But when my severe depression was at its worst this man saved my life. He is caring, competent and not afraid to work with you to find the right medication. I have had to have shock treatment and have been in states of extreme paranoia. He never has wavered in his kind, competent care. I am well today and still need to be on meds. This man is the finest in his profession.

flag | Submitted November 26, 2017

I was in the hospital and had a psychosis that the food being given to me was made of dead human bodies. He asked me what it tasted like to eat raw human flesh, then discharged me. I couldn't eat anything for 2 months. He yelled at me, claiming that I "hurt his feelings". He took me off of my sleeping meds cold turkey, then congratulated himself for "curing" me when he eventually reinstated them, after a week of me and my family begging him to. He has discharged me from hospital several times when I was suicidal. He even had the security guards drag me out into the parking lot, not letting me call anyone for a ride. He has spread nasty false rumours about me. He definitely has a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde personality. Don't disagree with "god" or he will punish you for it.

flag | Submitted November 5, 2017

Dr Strauss is a amazing physiatrist. He has helped me so much on how to live with my mental illness challenges. He listens and cares for his patients. He is kind hearted and knows always what to say to make me feel more hopeful. I am so blessed to have such a awesome dr in my life. He has given me reason to keep going on in life. He believes in me when others don't. I highly recommend him to anyone who is searching for help. He has made a great name for himself and I completely trust him with my well being.

flag | Submitted July 11, 2017

Dr Strauss is a most unusual psychiatrist - he serves his patients and not his ego. I was most fortunate to find him after years of struggle. He has been nothing but respectful, concerned, patient, wise, gentle and infinitely kind. I would trust him with my life. In fact I have trusted him with my life. It is so difficult to trust the so-called helping profession as too often they have their own agenda but Dr Strauss's agenda is to help people to become well and he will use every means available to him in order to achieve that. A selfless and true gentleman. I cannot speak highly enough of him.

flag | Submitted May 18, 2017

Dr. Strauss knows me better than I know myself at times. He is so encouraging, kind, and I don't know what I would do without him. I have been a patient of his for over 20 years and he has helped me see that my mental illness is just that, an illness, not something made up. Thank you so much Dr. Strauss

flag | Submitted February 8, 2017

He used to be a good shrink but no longer. He refuses to speak to family even though the patient requests the need for assistance. He makes a 10 min appointment and charges full rates takeing advantage of the system and of the patients inability to question such actions. He expects patients to direct their own care so now basically just sits and listens to patient but does nothing to intervene if patients actions are dangerous. Because of his refusal to listen to warnings that our family member was in serious mania.. he was charged with assault. Though Strauss was warned of the destructive manic behaviour he did nothing. Because as a physiatrist he is responsible for the care of his patients and allowed the detriment to occur within our family even though fully warned a complaint has been brought forward to the college of physicians and surgeons and are waiting response.

flag | Submitted January 15, 2017

The best psychiatrist ever. He helps you as much as he can and actually cares about you .

flag | Submitted December 8, 2016

Dr. Pieter Strauss became my psychiatrist in 2001 after a traumatic event that left me in a severe depression. I had many well years after his exceptional care. In 2011 after a work accident I again suffered with severe insomnia and acute severe depression. I will never forget one day I asked in fear and frustation, " Dr. Strauss what are you going to do with me?" He replied calmly and with conviction." We are going to keep you alive. I will hope for you until you are able to hope for yourself." Dr. Strauss knows the human heart as well as meds. Both have kept me alive. I owe my sanity if not my life to him.

flag | Submitted May 18, 2016

He has been the biggest blessing in my life and anyone who’s fortunate enough to meet him would and have said the same thing. Dr. Strauss is the least judgmental person in the whole world. He’s always made me feel comfortable and encourages openness and honesty. Honesty is the only way to go if I want to get the best out of your sessions with Dr. Strauss. I truly believe that Dr. Strauss gives the MOST incredible advice and support - however, one personally needs to be open and ready to actually listen and willing to work on themselves if they want to receive the full benefit of what he’s able to offer. I've noticed that for myself - only when I was willing to accept help and advice was I able to better my life. He has a tremendous wisdom about how to handle difficult situations and how to work not only on difficult relationships that I’ve had in my life but more importantly how to take the control into my own hands and to be happy with myself and my life regardless of what life might throw at me. He has the sweetest, kindest spirit and genuinely cares about each and every of his patients. If a patient says otherwise it’s because they are mentally ill and have serious issues - which makes reviewing any psychiatrist tricky since those with the severe mental illness will be the ones to write and say outrages, untrue, exaggerated things. I look up to him for so many reasons. He is one of the most amazing person I've ever met in my life. I look up to him for how he probably on a daily basis handles challenging cliental, but regardless he doesn’t seem to let it bother him and in doing so in his practice daily - he definitely practices what he preaches, which in turn for me shows what a strength of character he has and that the advice he has to offer truly works.

flag | Submitted March 9, 2016

Dr.Strauss changed my life. I had battled depression all my life and attempted suicide in my earlier years. I am now very happily married, and finishing up an engineering degree with top marks. I haven't seen him in a while but he's really the one that made it all possible.

flag | Submitted February 23, 2016