Ratings for Dr. Pieter Strauss

Dr. Strauss knows me better than I know myself at times. He is so encouraging, kind, and I don't know what I would do without him. I have been a patient of his for over 20 years and he has helped me see that my mental illness is just that, an illness, not something made up. Thank you so much Dr. Strauss

flag | Submitted February 8, 2017

He used to be a good shrink but no longer. He refuses to speak to family even though the patient requests the need for assistance. He makes a 10 min appointment and charges full rates takeing advantage of the system and of the patients inability to question such actions. He expects patients to direct their own care so now basically just sits and listens to patient but does nothing to intervene if patients actions are dangerous. Because of his refusal to listen to warnings that our family member was in serious mania.. he was charged with assault. Though Strauss was warned of the destructive manic behaviour he did nothing. Because as a physiatrist he is responsible for the care of his patients and allowed the detriment to occur within our family even though fully warned a complaint has been brought forward to the college of physicians and surgeons and are waiting response.

flag | Submitted January 15, 2017

The best psychiatrist ever. He helps you as much as he can and actually cares about you .

flag | Submitted December 8, 2016

Dr. Pieter Strauss became my psychiatrist in 2001 after a traumatic event that left me in a severe depression. I had many well years after his exceptional care. In 2011 after a work accident I again suffered with severe insomnia and acute severe depression. I will never forget one day I asked in fear and frustation, " Dr. Strauss what are you going to do with me?" He replied calmly and with conviction." We are going to keep you alive. I will hope for you until you are able to hope for yourself." Dr. Strauss knows the human heart as well as meds. Both have kept me alive. I owe my sanity if not my life to him.

flag | Submitted May 18, 2016

He has been the biggest blessing in my life and anyone who’s fortunate enough to meet him would and have said the same thing. Dr. Strauss is the least judgmental person in the whole world. He’s always made me feel comfortable and encourages openness and honesty. Honesty is the only way to go if I want to get the best out of your sessions with Dr. Strauss. I truly believe that Dr. Strauss gives the MOST incredible advice and support - however, one personally needs to be open and ready to actually listen and willing to work on themselves if they want to receive the full benefit of what he’s able to offer. I've noticed that for myself - only when I was willing to accept help and advice was I able to better my life. He has a tremendous wisdom about how to handle difficult situations and how to work not only on difficult relationships that I’ve had in my life but more importantly how to take the control into my own hands and to be happy with myself and my life regardless of what life might throw at me. He has the sweetest, kindest spirit and genuinely cares about each and every of his patients. If a patient says otherwise it’s because they are mentally ill and have serious issues - which makes reviewing any psychiatrist tricky since those with the severe mental illness will be the ones to write and say outrages, untrue, exaggerated things. I look up to him for so many reasons. He is one of the most amazing person I've ever met in my life. I look up to him for how he probably on a daily basis handles challenging cliental, but regardless he doesn’t seem to let it bother him and in doing so in his practice daily - he definitely practices what he preaches, which in turn for me shows what a strength of character he has and that the advice he has to offer truly works.

flag | Submitted March 9, 2016

Dr.Strauss changed my life. I had battled depression all my life and attempted suicide in my earlier years. I am now very happily married, and finishing up an engineering degree with top marks. I haven't seen him in a while but he's really the one that made it all possible.

flag | Submitted February 23, 2016

This man, as 'all over the place' he can be, has been my saviour. He has limited time. But uses it well. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Amazing. Joyful, Optomistic and kknowledgeable. Hes amazing. I wish he had more time.

flag | Submitted January 15, 2016

The Absolutely Best Dr. Ever!! Very thorough, educated, worldy and compassionate.

flag | Submitted December 2, 2015

I would highly recommend Dr Strauss to anyone! I have seen many psychiatrists over the years for anxiety, depression, and mild brain damage. I was used to them not having personalities and leaning towards over medicating. My first visit to Dr Strauss I was a nervous wreck. What kind of Dr would he be? Before I could say a word he went into a speech about how he is there to be my helper and he addressed every concern I had from negative past experiences. I am well aware that my mental health is my battle and I'm the one who changes my thoughts and problem solving techniques. But he was definitely my coach. Finding the right mix of meds with the least side effects, and CBT therapy. I'm now at a point where I'm working part time and may even become full time some day. I had been told I was going to be medicated and on disability my whole life but with the help of Dr Strauss I've worked through many road blocks. Now I don't feel like a broken person. I feel like my struggles, cracks and chips have been glued together with gold. That broken is beautiful. Kintsugi - the Japanese art of repairing broken pottery with lacquer dusted or mixed with powdered gold, silver, or platinum, As a philosophy it treats breakage and repair as part of the history of an object, rather than something to disguise. highlighting the cracks and repairs as simply an event in the life of an object rather than allowing its service to end at the time of its damage or breakage. Thank you Dr Strauss. I won't throw my self in the garbage but I'll look back at my battle scars with pride that I made it through.

flag | Submitted October 15, 2015

Integrity in Medicine, Excellence in Healthcare, Patient Focused Care.

flag | Submitted June 25, 2015