Ratings for Dr. Michael J. Zachareas

I will not see this doctor again.after a stent and kidney stone procedure they wanted to do a procedure on my prostate that would have left me a gelding.all I ever saw was his male nurse and he seemed to be rushing me to sign up for surgery.also during the stent operation he had to do some work on me while awake.it hurt.i was letting out high pitched screams and he said to stop making those sounds as it went right through him.i get the feeling all he seems to care about is money and speed.my advice:get a second opinion before commiting to this doctor.

flag | Submitted October 26, 2013

flag | Submitted January 10, 2012

My husband saw Dr. Z for kidney stones. He needed 5 surgical procedures in the course of a month. Dr. Z definitely knew what he was doing and took care of him. He usually stopped out to see me in the waiting room or called me to let me know how things went which I really appreciated. I have two complaints. One is that he is stretched too thin so my husband was in pain while he waited for Dr. Z's availability for surgery. Two is that this man is very arrogant. In our experience he doesn't appreciate the patient's role in his or her health and gets agitated if you ask two many questions.

flag | Submitted February 17, 2011

Dr. Z is an awesome doc but he stretches himself too thin. His PA is nice enough but due to the urgency of the situation, we should only be dealing with an MD. Dr. Z himself was telling us one day that he can be stuck a whole day blasting stones and not making money in the office. We don’t know what to believe anymore and think he should get another MD to join his practice to help out because he is only one doc. He can’t continue to put patients in pain on hold till he gets to them. Otherwise he is a wonderful doc who is caring and even visits pts in the hospital on his off time to check on them. We are thinking of switching to a doc who can better attend to urgent needs instead of being forced to wait. It’s questionable as to whether it’s truly the hospital or the Dr. Z’s schedule that is the issue and when it affects ones quality of life due to pain, it comes time to rethink the situation. We don’t want to leave you but can’t deal with the one man show much longer. ;(

flag | Submitted September 15, 2010

My father was a patient of this doctor. He had a bladder problem and was in the hospital for 11 days. Only his PA saw my father and when I requested to see the doctor he never answered. Dr. Z. avoided talking to us when my father wasn't doing well. When we needed the most support he gave the least and sent his PA. We're investigating the care and so far have been told by second opinions there are issues. I'm not looking to sue, just answers and I hope no one else gets this type of treatment

flag | Submitted February 10, 2010

I came to Dr. Z after another urologist, one with substantially more clout, did not seem interested in scheduling my procedure even though I was in agony hour-to-hour with the ureter stent. I was recommended Dr. Z as a second opinion originally, but was very impressed with the no-bull initial exam (hey, I can understand medical jargon, but prefer doctors who don't hide behind it) and even more impressed how he helped address my wife's anxiety over my issues and treated her with a great deal of respect. Sold me. Anyway, Dr. Z slammed open his schedule three days later to accommodate me and I am 1000% more comfortable, both with my overall pain management, with the handling of my case, with Dr. Z and his staff, and with any future urologic issues that might arise - Dr. Z is my guy from here out.

flag | Submitted July 30, 2009

Dr. Zachareas and his PA are great! I was referred to Dr. Zachareas by my Primary Care Physician after finding blood in my urine. Dr. Zachareas correctly diagnosed my condition and performed my surgery. My only complaint was that I didn't get to see him post surgery and wasn't even made aware of the outcome until my ride picked me up (day surgery). But he can be forgiven for this as I'm sure he had a busy schedule that day. Periodic checkups, while uncomfortable, provide a sense of comfort to know things will be caught early and at best, everything is fine. Dr. Zachareas is a knowledgeable and congenial physician and I would recommend him to family and friends. The PA is also very good and patiently answers questions and addresses any concerns one might have.

flag | Submitted May 30, 2009

I'm 38 years old and I went to see this doctor for a kidney stone. He kept asking me about the way I urinated. He didn't ask me much about my kidney stone. At the end of the initial visit he scheduled me for tests for the way I urinate with a scope in the penis and an ultrasound of my prostate. He told me I'd need a balloon therapy procedure on the prostate. How can he tell me I need this before he does any tests? I wasn't even having a problem with that. He hardly addressed my kidney stone. I got a second opinion and the other doctor felt there was nothing wrong with my prostate based on his exam and a blood test. The other doctor said if I eventually did have urinary problems then medications might help but it wasn't necessary at my stage in life. Dr. Zachareas never told me about medication. I thought his staff was nice but HIS approach wasn't what I was looking for. I want a doctor who will tell me my options for my medical issues and be honest with me.

flag | Submitted April 2, 2009

Dr. Zacherias preformed two major surgeries, and now I'm fine.

flag | Submitted March 5, 2009

Physician Assistant handled most of the visits, with minimal time spent with physician who glanced over chart as he stated how many times I would have to return for a checkup after passing a kidney stone. Phys. Asst. stated that all female patients are catheterized to obtain "clean" urine samples. I firmly declined this treatment, which I believe is unethical, so long as the patient is able to urinate naturally. He may be a fine, competent physician, but I left uncomfortable about judgment.

flag | Submitted March 4, 2009

Dr. Michael J. Zachareas's Credentials

• Wayne State Univ Sch Of Med, Detroit Mi 48201 (Grad. 1997)

MSP/BC Med