Ratings for Dr. Walter Blahey

He's very knowledgeable but boy is he rude, cold and judgmental! I was nervous to attend the appointment given the reviews, and I was right to be. I'm sure he knows his stuff very well, but, being a doctor, a few lessons on empathy and kindness wouldn't hurt. You don't have to take hours to become a patient's friend or get us through the dark times, just understand that the patients in front of you are scared and nervous, and just saying things with a touch of kindness or welcoming us with a warm smile could help us go through the appointment.

flag | Submitted January 18, 2018

Dr. Blahey was recommended to me by my own Physician . His knowledge of his expertise is top shelf. He is considered , in my opinion , one of the best Oncologist / Hematologist in the Calgary area . Even my own daughter who is a heads up professional at an Oregon Oncology private clinic told me is one very good Doctor ( She was a nurse some years ago at the Foothills , U. of C. hospital ) ! I consider myself privileged to be his patient ....Robert G.Hefferton , High River , AB .

flag | Submitted January 17, 2018

Worst Doctor ever. Should not be a Doctor. He has no manners. He will ask you every time what and how much medicine are you taking. He should know, he prescribed it.

flag | Submitted August 15, 2017

Dr Blahey is extremely knowledgeable in his field of expertise. I originally felt that he was very cold and not approachable but once he diagnosed my non Hodgkin's lymphoma he became very focused on my well being. Dr Blahey explained the situation very clearly and made sure myself and my wife fully understood the options and the way forward. By ordering a bone marrow sample immediately we were able to determine the extent of the condition within two weeks. The early diagnostic lead to a very positive outcome. I owe my life to Dr. Simon Hudy ( family Dr.) and Dr. Walter Blahey for their combined experience and intuition to find this super early. Thank you Gentlemen C. Briggs

flag | Submitted June 26, 2017

He might be very knowledgeable DOCTOR but he is very rude and unprofessional.

flag | Submitted June 7, 2017

I was diagnosed in June 1992 with stage 4 non Hodgkins lymphoma leading to a successful stem cell transplant in August 1994 and was one of the first 10 in Alberta to have this new experimental treatment, from what I understand. I have only GOOD comments about this Doctor. I am still here, 23 years post transplant, able to do all I could do prior and enjoying retirement! None of this would have been possible without the determination, knowledge and caring of Dr. Blahey. Saying thank you is such an understatement. ONE wants to be his patient when faced with a life threatening ordeal. Dr Blahey is one of the best in his profession and his excellent team is the reason I am here. They are the very best!!! C.Campbell.

flag | Submitted May 21, 2017

I was diagnosed with Myelodysplasia in 2012 and sent to Dr. Blahey. If you want your hand held and have him give many comforting words about your condition, then he is not the doctor for you. He told me at the start of my appointment that there was no cure for my condition and that all that could be done was to put a plan together to try have me live as normal life as possible. For the next two and a half years I did not receive any treatment other than to have blood tests and appointments with Dr. Blahey every two months,. He explained what was happening and what would be done if my condition deteriorated. In 2015 my Hemoglobin fell and Dr. Blahey after inquiring if I had a private drug plan prescribed an expensive self inject able medication to stimulate the bone marrow to make more red blood cells. My private insurance at first did not want to pay for this medication and Dr. Blahey had the Pharmacist attached to the Hematology Clinic at the PLC Hospital intervene and the medication was approved. Things remained acceptable until last month when my white cell count dropped and now I will start Chemo Therapy treatment tomorrow. Dr. Blahey explained the upcoming treatment and advised that it was not always successful. This was done in a straight forward manner without any emotion. He then had me meet with the Hematology Pharmacist who went over the treatment in detail. Over the last 10 years I have been a member of a Provincial Board that includes a number of Doctors , when they find out the disease I am being treated for and who is my Specialist; without exception I have been told I could not be in better hands. As one doctor said to me " Once you get by the gruff exterior there is no more knowledgeable and caring person to treat you. I believe this and hopefully he will help keep me enjoying a good quality of life for a good time longer.

flag | Submitted April 10, 2017

Dr. Blahey has treated me for Myelodysplasia since 2012. If you want a Doctor to hold your hand and make small talk with you then he is not for you. If you want a Doctor who is extremely knowledgeable in his field, gets to the root of your problem quickly and then sets up a treatment plan that he follows up with you on a frequent basis then he is one of the best in his field. On my first visit with him he calmly told me there was no cure for my disease, but that we would use all means possible to slow down my deterioration and allow me to live as normal a life as possible. For the next 3 years I was not prescribed any medication but had blood tests every 2 months followed by a visit to Dr. Blahey. Other than getting tired rather easily I did all my normal routine including playing golf 3 times a week but having to ride a golf cart. In late 2015 my blood tests showed that my hemoglobin was falling and Dr Blahey prescribed an expensive medication to help stimulate the bone marrow. He also connected me with the head pharmacist attached to his clinic who worked on my behalf to get my private Insurance plan to pay for a good portion of the cost. This allowed me to continue as I had been previously. A month ago there was a drastic fall in my white blood cell count and it now appears that a more aggressive approach including a chemo type drug will be needed. to deal with my situation. Dr. Blahey explained in detail the new procedure and when I agreed he once again connected me with the Clinic Pharmacist who then spent over an hour with me explaining how my treatment would proceed. My wife and myself had a month's vacation planned and Dr. Blahey told us to go and have a good time and then come back fresh to get on with treating my condition. It appears this will start early next week. I was a police officer for over 38 years and lived in places from one end of Canada to the other. I have dealt, both professionally and personally with a multitude of doctors, and I can say without hesitation Dr. Blahey is perhaps the best and of course the Dr. I am trusting to get me through the rest of my life.

flag | Submitted April 6, 2017

I am a physician who has been in practice for over 18 years. Dr Blahey is the haematologist who I refer my complex internal medicine patients to and if I had a heamtological malignancy he would be my first choice. If you have a trivial problem he may have little time for you. If you are sick and dying of a serious malignancy he will have all the time in the world for you, Isn't this what you want?

flag | Submitted February 17, 2017

I went with my father to see Dr. Blahey. Never before have I experienced such a rude and unprofessional doctor. He was condescending, judgmental and basically heartless. Although he was knowledgable in his area of expertise, it was difficult to ask him questions because he was not approachable. Thankfully the staff checking us in and the nurse were helpful.

flag | Submitted February 16, 2017