Ratings for Dr. Walter Blahey

I was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma - Double Hit - in December of 2014, and Dr. Blahey was my doctor. I understand some people are not particularly fond of his bedside manner and he has a "business first" attitude. I have nothing but good things to say about this man and I credit him and his team for my survival.

flag | Submitted November 27, 2018

Excellent Receptionist and Dr Blahey is extremely knowledgable

flag | Submitted August 16, 2018

One of the rudest receptionist ever! She should be fired!

flag | Submitted August 9, 2018

He's very knowledgeable but boy is he rude, cold and judgmental! I was nervous to attend the appointment given the reviews, and I was right to be. I'm sure he knows his stuff very well, but, being a doctor, a few lessons on empathy and kindness wouldn't hurt. You don't have to take hours to become a patient's friend or get us through the dark times, just understand that the patients in front of you are scared and nervous, and just saying things with a touch of kindness or welcoming us with a warm smile could help us go through the appointment.

flag | Submitted January 18, 2018

Dr. Blahey was recommended to me by my own Physician . His knowledge of his expertise is top shelf. He is considered , in my opinion , one of the best Oncologist / Hematologist in the Calgary area . Even my own daughter who is a heads up professional at an Oregon Oncology private clinic told me is one very good Doctor ( She was a nurse some years ago at the Foothills , U. of C. hospital ) ! I consider myself privileged to be his patient ....Robert G.Hefferton , High River , AB .

flag | Submitted January 17, 2018

Worst Doctor ever. Should not be a Doctor. He has no manners. He will ask you every time what and how much medicine are you taking. He should know, he prescribed it.

flag | Submitted August 15, 2017

Dr Blahey is extremely knowledgeable in his field of expertise. I originally felt that he was very cold and not approachable but once he diagnosed my non Hodgkin's lymphoma he became very focused on my well being. Dr Blahey explained the situation very clearly and made sure myself and my wife fully understood the options and the way forward. By ordering a bone marrow sample immediately we were able to determine the extent of the condition within two weeks. The early diagnostic lead to a very positive outcome. I owe my life to Dr. Simon Hudy ( family Dr.) and Dr. Walter Blahey for their combined experience and intuition to find this super early. Thank you Gentlemen C. Briggs

flag | Submitted June 26, 2017

He might be very knowledgeable DOCTOR but he is very rude and unprofessional.

flag | Submitted June 7, 2017

I was diagnosed in June 1992 with stage 4 non Hodgkins lymphoma leading to a successful stem cell transplant in August 1994 and was one of the first 10 in Alberta to have this new experimental treatment, from what I understand. I have only GOOD comments about this Doctor. I am still here, 23 years post transplant, able to do all I could do prior and enjoying retirement! None of this would have been possible without the determination, knowledge and caring of Dr. Blahey. Saying thank you is such an understatement. ONE wants to be his patient when faced with a life threatening ordeal. Dr Blahey is one of the best in his profession and his excellent team is the reason I am here. They are the very best!!! C.Campbell.

flag | Submitted May 21, 2017

I was diagnosed with Myelodysplasia in 2012 and sent to Dr. Blahey. If you want your hand held and have him give many comforting words about your condition, then he is not the doctor for you. He told me at the start of my appointment that there was no cure for my condition and that all that could be done was to put a plan together to try have me live as normal life as possible. For the next two and a half years I did not receive any treatment other than to have blood tests and appointments with Dr. Blahey every two months,. He explained what was happening and what would be done if my condition deteriorated. In 2015 my Hemoglobin fell and Dr. Blahey after inquiring if I had a private drug plan prescribed an expensive self inject able medication to stimulate the bone marrow to make more red blood cells. My private insurance at first did not want to pay for this medication and Dr. Blahey had the Pharmacist attached to the Hematology Clinic at the PLC Hospital intervene and the medication was approved. Things remained acceptable until last month when my white cell count dropped and now I will start Chemo Therapy treatment tomorrow. Dr. Blahey explained the upcoming treatment and advised that it was not always successful. This was done in a straight forward manner without any emotion. He then had me meet with the Hematology Pharmacist who went over the treatment in detail. Over the last 10 years I have been a member of a Provincial Board that includes a number of Doctors , when they find out the disease I am being treated for and who is my Specialist; without exception I have been told I could not be in better hands. As one doctor said to me " Once you get by the gruff exterior there is no more knowledgeable and caring person to treat you. I believe this and hopefully he will help keep me enjoying a good quality of life for a good time longer.

flag | Submitted April 10, 2017