Ratings for Dr. Joel Finklestein

I was seated in this doctors office by his assistant (she did not introduce herself let alone said hello). When he walked in he likewise did not greet me but just sat in his chair and immediately started questioning me about the accident I had that has resulted in over 3 years of pain that are barely controlled by medications. I proceeded to review my symptoms but he would often cut me off to go on to his questions. When he examined me he causes sharp intense pain to my hip that shows a tear and is due for surgery (he had the MRI findings). There was no apology nor did he offer assistance for me to come off the examination table. He assessed briefly the pain I described in my neck and shoulder, and with pressure he caused sharp pain ( I have a neck injury as well). I do not think that he even noticed the tears welling up from my pain nor my groan when he did that. He was focussed on providing the report that the defendant's lawyer expected of him, no matter what the physical examination and prior medical tests show. If you are sent to him for insurance purposes, understand that he will negate "in his medical opinion" that your injuries are the result of an accident. He is there for one thing...to produce a document that the defense can use. Do not expect an independent unbiased report. It is unfortunate that physicians like Dr Finkelstein (note do not mispronounce his name as I was advised by the transport company, as he gets upset) actually teach from an internationally recognized university. I can imagine his lectures on how to increase your income by any means necessary, including biased and inaccurate reports. Perhaps University of Toronto should look into his reviews when they send residents out to follow him.

Submitted October 10, 2017

This doctor was the worst doctor I have ever seen! The worst bed side manor no compassion or sympathy for the pain you are in. Unless you need a major surgery he has no interest in you. He is all for the insurance companies and could care less about helping people. If your case isn't going to get him big ratings he has no interest. He kept repeating numerous times that he is a surgeon but he did not give me any information that makes me believe he should hold the title he so proudly threw around. You may not want a part of a minor surgery and that's fine but the lack of compassion and sympathy you have for people is unacceptable. It may be minor to you but to us people it is everything! It affects our everyday lives, our families and our jobs! I like to think doctors become doctors to help people and should you choose not to take a case is fine but to be arrogant, rude and show a complete lack of compassion is completely unacceptable and embarrassing to the health system! It's getting harder and harder to find doctors who care anymore. Very disappointed!!

flag | Submitted July 13, 2017

The absolute best doctor you can ever see for a spinal condition. He gave me my life back so that is all that matters to me. Thank you.

flag | Submitted January 25, 2017

The absolute worst doctor you can ever see. Have no sympathy or care for what going on. He should have his license revoked.

flag | Submitted January 20, 2017

If I could give 0stars I would he is the most useless doctor, spend 15reading my file not a word said, talked to me for 5mins and then left for me to change didn't come back for almost an hour this guy is the worst doctor ever. Never book an appointment with him he should have his license revoked

Submitted November 24, 2016

I had received a self inflicted back injury November 2014. Shortly after hurting my back, I was paralyzed from the waist down. I was in hospital in my home town and they were not able to find a surgeon, but Dr. Finklestein took me on. His support staff was very good, and I felt reassured. At 3 in the morning of the operation Dr. Finklestein showed up to perform surgery (lamenectomy) and I had the feeling of confidence and felt calm going into surgery. The surgery was successful and my substantial pain was over and the healing of the scar was relatively fast and without complications as was the overall surgery. I was told had I waited much longer I would have never regained my ability to walk again. Well, I am walking and I'm grateful and very thankful to Dr.Finklestein and his very capable staff who were involved with the surgery. Odd to see so many negative comments here. My experience was completely positive. My thanks to Dr. Finklestein.

flag | Submitted October 24, 2016

Very disappointed with how we were received by dr. Finklestein. My 94 year old mother travelled 100 km in a transfer vehicle with extreme back pain. Dr. Finklesteins first works were so why are you here? He took all of 2 minutes to say there was noting that could be done for her. Very uncompassionate and arrogant.

flag | Submitted August 24, 2016

After seeing Dr. Finklestein at my 6 week post op appt I am walking pain free and on my way to resume normal activities. I had 2 friends who had surgery with Dr. Finklestein and he came highly recommended, I hugged him as I knew he had put my life back on track. He is a busy spine trauma surgeon, and when he saw me he was focused, precise, forthcoming and pleasant. and.... he fixed my problem.

flag | Submitted February 10, 2016

I just had a microdisectomy with Dr Joel Finklestein. I am at home recovering, and my experience at Sunnybrooke was excellent. He came down after my surgery with a smile of success after a long period of pain from a very large herniated disc the pain in my leg is gone. I will see him in 6 weeks. He came highly referred by others who have had successful experiences and I now know why.

flag | Submitted December 8, 2015

my husband had a laminectomy performed by dr finkelstein who didnt even have the decency to speak to me ater surgery turns out 10 yrs later the surgery he performed left badly scarred tissue and now my husband has spinal stenosis and may eventually end up in a wheel chair due to buildup of scar tissue that makes surgery too risky this dr is so arrogant he cant be bothered to call patients himself -- he has his secretary call with no explanation as to why he doesnt consider you a good surgical candidate a 12 monyh wait to see him but if you need him to appear as an expert witness he is available at any time dont waste your time with him he cares about himself only

flag | Submitted October 25, 2015