You may also like

Ratings for Dr. Harold L. Rekate

I used to live in Houston, TX when I realized I'd need a lumbar detethering. The Houston neurosurgeons were arrogant enough to think just because they had initials attached to their name, they knew more about me, than me. Fast-forward later when I was living in Phoenix, AZ due to a happy set of circumstances. The first appt. I had with him, I knew within SECONDS that he was the neurosurgeon for me. He knew his stuff, AND he was warm, gracious, and talked about our shared love of music with me for nearly the whole appt. Towards the end of our appt., he asked, "So why are you here?" I explained to him my story, AND HE *ACTUALLY* LISTENED TO ME and treated me as the intelligent, self-aware person I was (am?). Just mere two days after my first surgery with him, I could already tell I was regaining sensation I had lost over the years while I stubbornly said "no" to surgery. Granted, I did have some complications, and that required more surgery (the grand total of 4 surgeries in 16 months during the years late 2001 - early 2003: 3 back surgeries, and 1 neck/brain (Chiari detethering being my last one - I didn’t even know I had Chiari malformation (a surgery for which is absolutely terrifying when you knew someone who had the surgery and didn’t make it out of the OR alive) until he told me!), but all-in-all, he was the neurosurgeon who treated me with kindness and respect (even called me the night before one of my surgeries to reassure me that everything would be alright), and ultimately, gave me my life back. Thank you, Dr. Rekate. "I'll forever be in your debt."

flag | Submitted January 9, 2016

My daughter has used Dr Rekate for about 3 1/2 years now, she has had two surgeries by him… decompression for Chiari and second one was a cervical fusion for retroflexed odontoid process. We have always had great experiences with him, and the hospitals. We travel from Oklahoma for for his excellence. Highly recommend.

flag | Submitted May 14, 2015

Getting too old for surgery. Has been making too many mistakes.

flag | Submitted January 21, 2015

He operated on my three year old son for Chiari malformation. We traveled from Maryland to see him because of his great reputation and we weren't disappointed. He understands Chiari and Ehlers Danlos Syndrome. He is skilled , compassionate and knowledge with these conditions.

flag | Submitted September 19, 2014

Dr. Rekate operated on my 17 year old daughter. She had Chiari decompression surgery. She has been free of all previous symptoms since the surgery. It is amazing to see her pain free! Dr. Rekate was fabulous from the first appointment on. He is compassionate, understanding and takes the time to explain the details. I also appreciated that he did not rush to surgery. My daughter had a lot of symptoms and he took the time to explore all her symptoms, having her see other specialist to be sure surgery was the best option for her. I highly recommend Dr. Rekate without reservation. We also had a good experience at the Cohen Children's Medical Center and at the Ronald McDonald House. Having a child with a serious medical condition is scary; I am so glad we had Dr. Rekate through it all.

flag | Submitted April 22, 2014

Dr. Rekate performed surgery on my son at 11 months. My son has had a shunt since 2007, no malfunctions nor other surgeries. We were blessed to have fallen in his hands. However, one negative comment would be that my sons medical records, and information were inaccurate. Cause of surgery, date of surgery, and my sons age was incorrect within the medical record created by the RN.

flag | Submitted December 11, 2012

flag | Submitted June 19, 2012

He is very arrogant, has no bedside manners whatsoever. He removed my shunt after 25 years to do 3rd ventiricular bipass. Removed the shunt and did not do the bipass. Sent me home w/o it and I didn't wake up the next morning. I suffered brain damage and severe memory loss. I was an accountant and am now disabled. Beware... Protect you babies...Do not take them to this doctor!

flag | Submitted May 8, 2012

I was diagnosed with Pseudotumor Cerebri back in 2007 I had a VP shunt placed and it messed up and I had to have a doctor fix it. I went to Dr. Rekate because of his reputation. Well Dr. Rekate does not live up to his reputation. He is very arrogant, has no bedside manners whatsoever. The shunt he had placed messed up while I was in the hospital but he would not listen to me. I finally got his resident to listen to me and he ran tests and found out that it was messed up and Rekate would not fix his screw up. I had to have a plain general surgeon fix it. I would never recommend Dr. Rekate to anybody unless they want to deal with rude office staff and a doctor that will no listen or answer questions.

flag | Submitted December 9, 2010

Incredible dr. He preformed brain surgery on myself 7 years ago and saved my life. Highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted July 24, 2010

Dr. Harold L. Rekate's Credentials

• Medical College Of Virginia Commonwealth University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1970)

Oxford

Updates

• A new 4.5-star rating has been posted. "I used to live in Houston, TX when I realized I'd need a lumbar detethering. The Houston neurosurgeons were arrogant enough to think just because they had initi..."

January 9, 2016
  • A new 4.2-star rating has been posted. "My daughter has used Dr Rekate for about 3 1/2 years now, she has had two surgeries by him… decompression for Chiari and second one was a cervical fusion for re..."

May 14, 2015
  • A new 1-star rating has been posted. "Getting too old for surgery. Has been making too many mistakes."

January 21, 2015
  • A new 4.5-star rating has been posted. "He operated on my three year old son for Chiari malformation. We traveled from Maryland to see him because of his great reputation and we weren't disappointed...."

September 19, 2014
  • First Name changed from "Harold" to "Harold L."

August 5, 2012