Ratings for Dr. Andrew V. Pasternak

My experience was disappointing and concerning. Dr. Pasternak was disengaged, nonchalant, unconcerned, and seemed overal uninterested in my medical issue of repetitive kidney stone, flank pain, and blood in urine. He was uncaring, apathetic, and dismissive. His demeanor with other patients as I could hear through my open exam room door was pleasant and engaged. I felt singled out and cheated of proper medical care. I received a referral to a urologist specialist. He didn't explain much of anything having to do with health problem and jumped right to a procedure of lithotripsy instead of offering dietary solutions. The fact that he sent me out the door with blood in my urine, no treatment and no instructions until I hear from the urologist was upsetting, especially since I'm still in severe pain and experienced a dangerous kidney infection just a few months prior to this visit. I was hoping for so much more. I've been a patient of his for over ten years and will be finding a new pcp asap.

flag | Submitted October 11, 2016

I was completely disappointed in the Dr./ patient rapore. Dr. Pasternak came across as disengaged, or rather preoccupied. If he'd put down his ipad for one second and pay attention, he might actually understand his pt. issues. What happened to the old fashioned, listen now, chart later? And one more thing, the "I love me wall, look at me, validate how great I am shrine is overwhelming." Yes Dr. we all can see how in shape you are and how many triathilons you've done. Good for you. Overall, was hoping for more and found nothing but frustration and disappoinment.

flag | Submitted July 23, 2012

I've been a patient of Dr. P's since 2009, after a surgery performed by another longtime doctor left me in a very bad state. Dr. P has been wonderful in treating me with all of my new ailments, as a new patient, and has always put a significant amount of thought into diagnostics and treatment and testing when I've seen him. I did find the constant staring at his tablet a bit offputting at first, but he's incredibly competent and that more than makes up for not knowing his eye color. He's been fantastic about refilling prescriptions, usually the same day, and I have had little problem getting into see him with an important problem. He's given me referrals to other specialists and I can not complain about him at all. I kind of think he's like House in his ability to diagnose, without having the jerk factor of the TV character. He's a fantastic doctor. His staff has always been friendly, thorough and prompt. Highly Recommended!

flag | Submitted December 12, 2011

I'm more than happy with Dr. Pasternak, I have been a patient of his since he was at the Ralston Clinic. He has taken very good care of me, and possibly saved my life when he discovered my carotid arteries were almost closed. How he knew to have them checked I don't know but he detected something and I had to have surgery to clean them out. He may have to use his computer but that just gives him/us better medical records. I would and have recommended him to friends. I consider him to be an excellent doctor and the longer he practices medicine, the more proficient he has become.

flag | Submitted September 13, 2011

Dr. Pasternak is my primary care physician and he recently treated me for a large subcutaneous infection. I appreciate the fact that he offered to treat it in his office after initial antibiotics were insufficient instead of referring me to a hospital for care. A less confident and risk adverse doctor would have sent me off to the hospital where they would treat me but at an exorbitant cost as an admitted patient. By performing a minor surgery in his office along with an antibiotic regimen I was able to enjoy an upcoming vacation vs cancelling it and spending my vacation money on hospital bills. THANK YOU Dr P. and I thank the office staff for dealing with my crappy insurance carrier.

flag | Submitted July 26, 2011

I understand the complaints made from patients in 2009 as I felt exactly the same way: too much tablet computer, not enough real listening or engagement. Otherwise, his advice seemed competent. With reluctance, I just saw him again after being unable to find anyone better, and I was HUGELY surprised. His staff seems much more on top of things and there are some new faces. His attentiveness has improved markedly and, although the tablet is still there, it doesn't dominate the appointment. I was very satisfied and impressed that Dr. Pasternak got the message and I now have no intention of changing doctors. Those previously disappointed should give him a second chance.

flag | Submitted July 15, 2011

Terrific with my teenage son! No one knows the field better or cares more deeply.

flag | Submitted May 12, 2011

Staff are friendly, but incompetent. They have messed up my simple prescription every time I’ve gone there. I have also heard Dr. Pasternak and his staff openly complain about other patients as they sit in the waiting area. Dr. Pasternak lacks the people skills to be a physician and instead, probably should have been an accountant. He spends more time hiding behind his little computer than he does engaging the patient. Too bad he spent more time decorating his office w/his trophies than reading “Bedside Manners for Idiots”. Definitely find another physician.

flag | Submitted October 19, 2009

I was a patient of Dr. Pasternak's when he was at Washoe Med and followed him to his private practice. Unfortunately, he has seemed to change his approach in interacting with patients. It is a truly a three-way conversation with the doctor and his PDA taking center stage. The best feature of a family practice doc is the ability to communicate with his patient and engender trust, thereby opening up the possibilities of optimum diagnosis and treatment. Unfortunately Dr. Pasternak has lost that ability.

flag | Submitted September 6, 2009

I credit Dr.Pasternak with excellent care in the aftermath of a subarachnoid brain hemorrhage I experienced 5 years ago. After release from the hospital, the neurological surgery team cast me adrift with little advice or follow-up. I decided to visit Dr. P, our family physician, even though I wasn't sure much more could be done. Dr. P advised me to undergo speech/cognitive therapy and occupational therapy in an effort to restore my mental health to a degree that ZI could return to work as a research scientist. It wasn't clear if I could return to my job, but Dr.P wrote to my laboratory and told them of the seriousness of the hemorrhage and steps that were being taken to help me recover. It was a critical letter that gave me time to heal. After one and a half years of intense and continuous therapy, I was able to function in my job as a research scientist. Without Dr.P's intervention, I'm quite sure I would have had to retire. I'm working as well as ever. I owe much to Dr. P.

flag | Submitted November 22, 2008

Dr. Andrew V. Pasternak's Credentials

• University Of Michigan Medical School (Grad. 1993)

• Alberta Blue Cross