Ratings for Dr. Kathy Baxter

Dr Baxter was able to diagnose a rare skin condition that had eluded the diagnosis of two competent GP's at a local walk-in clinic. Her diagnosis led to the successful treatment of advanced cancer at SJRH. Without Dr Baxter's early diagnosis, I'm not sure that I would be here today.

flag | Submitted February 14, 2017

I had a very positive experience on Jan. 13/17. If I had read the comments below beforehand, I probably would have changed my mind, however I am happy that I saw Dr. Baxter for my pre-cancerous lesions and I would recommend to anyone to see her and judge for themselves. I found Dr. Baxter to be professional and personable.

flag | Submitted January 25, 2017

Went to see Dr.Baxter for large patches of eczema on both my head and scalp, that was causing hair loss. I had misplaced my medicare card, and called a week ahead to make sure that they would allow me to just give them the number and expiry date (I also had a copy of it), they said it was fine. When I get there the day of the appointment the same receptionist tells me that I'm not able to be seen by the doctor without it. I explain that I spoke with HER, and had driven two hours in a snowstorm for the appointment, so they "made an exception" Dr. Baxter was extremely rude, and refused to actually look at the eczema that covered my head, ears, hands, and neck, stating that "she had seen eczema before and didn't need to see it again" she then wrote me an illegible prescription, and tried to leave the room, I asked what it was for, and if it contained certain ingredients that I was allergic to, she told me that she "didn't think so" and that "all the instructions are on the paper" which I couldn't read. Come to find out the cream contained BOTH of the ingredients that I had mentioned to her, but it was too late by then. This was a complete waste of time on my part, and if it was up to me, she would not have a medical license. Both her and her staff were rude and incompetent, and her bedside manner was awful. I would hate to be a person with a more serious skin condition, and have to rely on her for treatment.

flag | Submitted January 2, 2017

I saw Dr Baxter in NB before moving to ON. She's great if you have something she's interested in, but if not, she has no time for you. She has TERRIBLE bedside manner, she rushes, and believes herself to a fault. I went to her with eczema so bad I couldn't bend my fingers most days, along with other effects that were having a severe impact on my quality of life. She did a small patch test on me - not even a standard sized panel - and said, LITERALLY, "You're allergic to nickel. You'll have to get a desk job when you enter the work force. Don't touch money" She prescribed me some ointments and sent me on my way. So years later I go to a good dermatologist in Ottawa because after living off Dr Baxter's advice, and trying every cream and ointment doctors could prescribe only to still be battling severe eczema that, in the last 15 years has spread to other parts of me and sometimes make it so I can't even eat - she does a full panel patch test after an extensive background interview and looking at all the products I own, and come to find out I'M ALLERGIC TO THE CREAM AND OINTMENTS. The creams and ointments I've been using for the last 15 years have done nothing but make everything worse. And to top it off, I'm only mildly allergic to nickel! This doctor. This woman. Should NOT be practicing. The ONLY reason she's rated #2 is because unless you can leave Saint John, she's your only option. If you have to see her, at least hope you have something she's interested in treating. Otherwise you'll get the basic once over and generic treatment, as well as her signature attitude to boot.

flag | Submitted November 20, 2016

Its amazing this woman still has a practice. I know 3 separate people, including myself, who have had horrid experiences. No bed side manner at all. She suggested to my friend who has severe epilepsy that going off the meds that help her might relieve some of her skin conditions. YA cause taking a fit and driving off a bridge is an acceptable chance to have clear skin. give me a break.

flag | Submitted November 19, 2016

Felt as though my appointment was a waste of her time and mine. She barely checked me over and made a minor change to an existing prescription. Do not recommend.

flag | Submitted October 25, 2016

I don't know what Dr Baxter the previous commenter was referring to, but it couldn't have been this one. She couldn't have been friendlier, more charming, more knowledgeable, more thorough,than she was. She gave us more than sufficient time to ask questions. She did a very minor procedure while we were there and gave us a prescription for a cream. Both of these were followed up with explicit instructions. Couldn't have been more satisfied and would recommend her highly.

flag | Submitted September 11, 2016

Rude, condescending, belittling and worst of all not helpful for my common skin condition. If your family doctor needs to refer you to a dermatologist, don't be tempted to settle for Dr. Baxter just because her wait list is the shortest. You will likely want an actual professional opinion and then need to be referred on to someone else, extending your wait time. I could handle her horrible attitude if she was knowledgeable and helpful, but this is not the case (especially if you have Rosacea, you'll find more helpful information in your own research).

flag | Submitted August 6, 2016

I found Dr. Baxter to be a great doctor who was very knowledgeable and experienced in her field. She explained everything she was doing during my procedure and had me talking the whole time as she could tell I was nervous. She was very nice and even made a few funny jokes. She took her time, was punctual, asked me questions about how I was feeling throughout the procedure, and explained the after-care to me very well and made sure I left her office with knowing what to do. I would recommend this doctor to anyone regarding dermatology issues. She was very respectful, caring, and considerate!

flag | Submitted July 26, 2016

Dr. Baxter was many victims out in the community according to some nurses I have no spoken with. My mother has been going to her for 8 months for a complicated mess of a rash and extensive wound that drained non stop...treated only with Vaseline. Dr. Baxter sent an elderly lady home to deal with an extensive dressing multiple times a day at hundreds of dollars out of a senior's pocket without care or concern for her ability to deal with this. Has she not heard of EMH or community resources? She messed up a biopsy in February and took another 3 months before she would even bother to repeat it. How does someone who only deals with skin fail to take a proper skin biopsy? Then to make matters worse...she tells my mother on a Friday afternoon she has lymphoma and leaves us all hanging with this dreadful news! She did not even have the courtesy to call me ( the POA) back to explain what she had found! My call fell on deaf ears. It turns out my mother has cancer ( late stage) that may kill her because of Dr. Baxter's incompetent dicking around. Unfortunately our family trusted that she knew what she was doing because she is a professional and now we could possibly lose our dear mother who is taking chemo and fighting for her life because of her incompetence. You had one job....skin....epic fail!! I fear for the other patients who don't know any better. Shame on you Dr. Baxter!

flag | Submitted July 11, 2016