You may also like

Rate Dr. Edward G. McFarland

Dr. Edward G. McFarland's Ratings

Excellent surgeon. As a nurse, I was employed by a healthcare research think tank and I had also authored a book on self care after surgery. When I wrote the book in 2002 very few surgeons had experience with total reverse shoulder replacement surgery. I researched physicians all over the world to find one who had done at least 100 procedures. Dr. McFarland's name was on the list of top shoulder surgeons in the world. While I lived in Texas at the time, I was willing to travel anywhere. I had my right shoulder replaced in 2011 and in December of 2014 I had to have the left shoulder replaced. Both rotator cuffs were completely torn. Prior to surgery I experienced significant pain and substantial ROM limitations. The pain in both shoulders is gone and I have a better quality of life. Dr. McFarland spends time explaining what is going on and his knowledge is ever expanding.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2876234].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 24, 2015

Excellent surgeon. Great office staff. Spends a lot of time with patients and with residents. Very knowledgeable.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2866823].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 15, 2015

The worst experience that I have ever had-----very unprofessional office--bring lots of money that is all they care about

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2851632].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 29, 2015

Always a pleasure to be in his office. They are organized , prompt and courteous. I had reverse shoulder surgery 5 years ago and it has given me an active life. Thank you Dr. McFarland and all who work with him.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2842138].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 18, 2015

Excellent results from Dr. McFarland and his staff. I have a complicating existing condition that could have been problomatic for shoulder joint replacement, but wasn't, because everyone involved had researched my case so thoroughly. I felt that I was in exactly the right place to get the help I needed. Just had my five-year follow-up and shoulder is as good as new! Many thanks!!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2809578].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 16, 2015

I hhad reverse shoulder replacement surgery 6 years ago with wonderful results. Dr. McFarland is an awesome surgeon. He changed my life. Anne Lynch

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2786777].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 23, 2015

The Dr. and his staff answered any questions in a way that I could understand them. I had both of my shoulders replaced by Dr. McFarland and he was always available if I had any questions or problems.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2780750].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 17, 2015

I am thankful to have had this physician restore my ability to move my right arm again. The aftercare has been extremely helpful, very skilled and caring. I now look forward to having the same procedure for my left shoulder.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2780091].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 17, 2015

After suffering chronic pain in my right shoulder for about 2 years and treatment of physical therapy and steroid did not help, my primary care doctor referred me to Dr. Edward McFarland, an orthopedic surgeon at Hopkins' Department of Orthopaedic Surgery. I was then diagnosed to have serious tears in the rotator cuff and open surgery may be needed. Dr. McFarland diagnosed my condition correctly, he fully explain the surgical process and what to expect after surgery. I felt confident that he was the right doctor for me. He was very successful in repairing my torn rotator cuff. I now have a very much improved range of motion and no pain in my right shoulder. I am sincerely grateful to Dr. McFarland, thank you for all that you did to improve my well being. An appreciation as well to the Fellows, physical therapist and staff, both at the Johns Hopkins' Orthopedics and Outpatient Rehabilitation Facility, who attended to me with good care and respect.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2726950].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 19, 2015

After suffering with chronic pain for 5 years, starting when I was 70 years old, I decided to have shoulder joint replacement surgery on both arms. After researching both hospitals and doctors I chose Dr. McFarland bases solely on his ratings and reputation. I'm so glad I did! Both surgeries went well with little pain and no complications. I approached the first operation with some trepidation and really appreciated Dr. McFarland visiting just before I went into surgery to reassure me that all would go well - which it did. My post-surgery checkups with Dr. Mcfarland have been pleasant and reassuring. Overall, I have to give Dr. McFarland the highest grades in all areas. He is skilled, knowledgable and friendly. I highly recommend him to anyone needing shoulder surgery. His staff at the Greenspring Station office is also excellent.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2711765].votes_count ]]