You may also like

Ratings for Dr. Edward G. McFarland

Dr. McFarland did a reverse left shoulder replacement for me in 2009 and a right shoulder replacement in 2015. He also did a right shoulder replacement for my wife in 2015. We both experienced absolutely no pain following the operation and our range of motion returned very quickly. Dr. McFarland is the most patient-friendly doctor that we have ever had and in our opinion, the most outstanding and very best in his field. We have recommended several of our friends to him and he has done shoulder replacements on them as well. My wife and I highly recommend Dr. McFarland to anyone who is considering shoulder surgery. Dr. McFarland brings credit not only to himself, but to the practice of orthopedic surgery as well. His care and concern for his patients far exceeds expectations and he is world renown for his surgical abilities and patient care. He is also highly respected by his peers in the medical profession.

flag | Submitted March 7, 2016

I received the benefit of a thoroughly professional experience from Dr. McFarland, his staff, and the Johns Hopkins Medical Center. My total reverse left shoulder replacement has returned me to the quality of life I had begun to think was unimaginable. It has been a pleasure to work with Dr. McFarland.

flag | Submitted December 5, 2015

Dr McFarland explained the operation thoroughly which helped subue my fears. My operation was extremely successful as was the fllow up over three years. Heis an exceptional surgeon.

flag | Submitted November 23, 2015

I will, without hesitation, recommend Dr. McFarland. He demonstrated all of the qualities that one wants in a medical professional. Within a very short time at our first meeting, he drew my complete trust and confidence and he was not the first surgeon I had consulted with. He's a winner! He has surrounded himself with an equally competent and professional staff .

flag | Submitted November 4, 2015

flag | Submitted October 3, 2015

Travelled from Washington to Baltimore to make sure I was getting the very best surgeon for my shoulder replacement. I'm 2 years out and have had terrific results. It is the finest standard of care I have ever received, so I can't speak highly enough of Dr McFarland, his staff, and Johns Hopkins Hospital!

flag | Submitted September 28, 2015

We travelled from the Harrisburg area to have my husband's two full shoulder tears repaired. I did considerable research before selecting Dr. McFarland. Unfortunately arthroscopic surgery was out due to extent of the injury; however we are very pleased with the outcome of my husband's surgery. He can lift both arms again and has regained a lot of strength in just ten months. We have already referred a friend too. Dr. McFarland is at the top of his field. We don't mind driving for quality care, the quality of life is worth it afterwards.

flag | Submitted September 3, 2015

surgeons had experience with total reverse shoulder replacement surgery. I researched physicians all over the world to find one who had done at least 100 procedures. Dr. McFarland's is well know as the top shoulder surgeons in the world. While I lived in Virginia, I was willing to travel. I had my left and right shoulder replaced in 2013. He moved me from pain and substantial limitations to a full range of movement. I have quality of life back. He is outstanding, very knowledgeable, easy to understand and a delightful . He is back with great staff with great care.

flag | Submitted August 16, 2015

Dr. McFarland was outstanding for both shoulder injuries. The wait can be lengthy but I haven't had a doctor who spent a lot of time with me explaining the issues and offering solutions as he did. If I have any other orthopedic issues, he will be the first person I make an appointment with. Highly recommended!

flag | Submitted August 13, 2015

Excellent surgeon. As a nurse, I was employed by a healthcare research think tank and I had also authored a book on self care after surgery. When I wrote the book in 2002 very few surgeons had experience with total reverse shoulder replacement surgery. I researched physicians all over the world to find one who had done at least 100 procedures. Dr. McFarland's name was on the list of top shoulder surgeons in the world. While I lived in Texas at the time, I was willing to travel anywhere. I had my right shoulder replaced in 2011 and in December of 2014 I had to have the left shoulder replaced. Both rotator cuffs were completely torn. Prior to surgery I experienced significant pain and substantial ROM limitations. The pain in both shoulders is gone and I have a better quality of life. Dr. McFarland spends time explaining what is going on and his knowledge is ever expanding.

flag | Submitted July 24, 2015

Dr. Edward G. McFarland's Credentials

• University Of Louisville School Of Medicine (Grad. 1982)

Updates

• A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Dr. McFarland did a reverse left shoulder replacement for me in 2009 and a right shoulder replacement in 2015. He also did a right shoulder replacement for my ..."

March 7, 2016
  • A new 1-star rating has been posted. "I received the benefit of a thoroughly professional experience from Dr. McFarland, his staff, and the Johns Hopkins Medical Center. My total reverse left shoul..."

December 5, 2015
  • A new 4.8-star rating has been posted. "Dr McFarland explained the operation thoroughly which helped subue my fears. My operation was extremely successful as was the fllow up over three years. Heis ..."

November 23, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "I will, without hesitation, recommend Dr. McFarland. He demonstrated all of the qualities that one wants in a medical professional. Within a very short time at ..."

November 4, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "I had a left shoulder replacement. My experience was great. The office staff was excellent and very knowledgeable. I had no pain during or after the surgery."

October 3, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Travelled from Washington to Baltimore to make sure I was getting the very best surgeon for my shoulder replacement. I'm 2 years out and have had terrific resu..."

September 28, 2015
  • A new 4.5-star rating has been posted. "We travelled from the Harrisburg area to have my husband's two full shoulder tears repaired. I did considerable research before selecting Dr. McFarland. Unfortu..."

September 3, 2015
  • A new 4.8-star rating has been posted. "surgeons had experience with total reverse shoulder replacement surgery. I researched physicians all over the world to find one who had done at least 100 proced..."

August 16, 2015
  • A new 4.5-star rating has been posted. "Dr. McFarland was outstanding for both shoulder injuries. The wait can be lengthy but I haven't had a doctor who spent a lot of time with me explaining the iss..."

August 13, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Excellent surgeon. As a nurse, I was employed by a healthcare research think tank and I had also authored a book on self care after surgery. When I wrote the ..."

July 24, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Excellent surgeon. Great office staff. Spends a lot of time with patients and with residents. Very knowledgeable."

July 15, 2015
  • A new 1.2-star rating has been posted. "The worst experience that I have ever had-----very unprofessional office--bring lots of money that is all they care about"

June 29, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Always a pleasure to be in his office. They are organized , prompt and courteous. I had reverse shoulder surgery 5 years ago and it has given me an active life...."

June 18, 2015
  • A new 4.8-star rating has been posted. "Excellent results from Dr. McFarland and his staff. I have a complicating existing condition that could have been problomatic for shoulder joint replacement, b..."

May 16, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "I hhad reverse shoulder replacement surgery 6 years ago with wonderful results. Dr. McFarland is an awesome surgeon. He changed my life. Anne Lynch"

April 23, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "The Dr. and his staff answered any questions in a way that I could understand them. I had both of my shoulders replaced by Dr. McFarland and he was always avail..."

April 17, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "I am thankful to have had this physician restore my ability to move my right arm again. The aftercare has been extremely helpful, very skilled and caring. I no..."

April 17, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "After suffering chronic pain in my right shoulder for about 2 years and treatment of physical therapy and steroid did not help, my primary care doctor referred ..."

February 18, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "After suffering with chronic pain for 5 years, starting when I was 70 years old, I decided to have shoulder joint replacement surgery on both arms. After resea..."

February 5, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "I approached full shoulder replacement with a long list of questions. Dr. McFarland patiently answered all of them. Having an understanding of the procedure m..."

January 24, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Dr. McFarland is a superb orthopedic surgeon. In addition to his tremendous knowledge and skill, he is also extremely kind and caring. He graciously fit my mo..."

November 16, 2014
  • 'birds of a feather' score (based on <a href='/birdsofafeather.jsp?did=7726'>Medicare patients-in-common</a>): 2.6

March 14, 2014
  • 'birds of a feather' score (based on <a href='/birdsofafeather.jsp?did=7726'>Medicare patients-in-common</a>): 3.6

February 5, 2014