Ratings for Dr. Gerard Kimmons

Dr. Kimmons was recommended by a close friend, and I am glad she did. I was amazed at how quickly we were able to get an appointment, and he has really helped me and my kids. I agree with the previous comment in that he was a bit clinical, but he did manage to get to the root of the problem and give us a clear diagnosis.

flag | Submitted November 29, 2017

Dr. K is amazing and has taught me a lot. I recently returned to him for my younger child and his new assistant came across very rude and uncaring. I knew that the first appointment would be very clinical, but he gets results. I have recommended him to everyone I know and frankly, to get in to see such a specialist in a few weeks rather than months and years means I get help when I need it. Thanks for your exceptional work and caring so much about your patients.

flag | Submitted November 4, 2017

Dr. Kimmons is rated #1 in Child Psychiatrist in Vaughn and I definitely agree! https://www.ratemds.com/best-doctors/on/vaughan/psychiatrist/ https://threebestrated.ca/psychiatrists-in-vaughan-on A lot of these reviews are shocking to read. Although he may seem cold or short at times, he cares about his patients much more than he lets on. He often works long and flexible hours to accommodate his patients, and like any Dr, can have bad days (punctuality, mood/warmth, etc). Doctors are people themselves and the work they do is important and difficult. He has developed a method that has a clear proven track-record - his patients. The Behaviour program he uses with parents, for children with ODD, worked wonders. He is a short-term care psychiatrist that does not spend tax-payer dollars keeping patients in care unnecessarily for months or even years. So while you cannot read about it his methods, or find research (to which there is always conflicting research) to "prove" the effectiveness of his methods, the proof is in the pudding. I congratulate Dr. Kimmons on his development of a technique he believes in, and that he has been brave enough to be persistent with on his own. THIS IS HOW NEW TECHNIQUES COME INTO PRACTICE! Of course, finding the right Dr for you, and the right method for your family is important, but we are fortunate to get access to this type of support, and I promise you it is worth the 10-12 appointments. If it doesn't work for your family by the end, you can always try something new, and maybe you've picked up something helpful along the way.

flag | Submitted November 3, 2017

My 3 children and I have been using his method for 5 years. It works. He is kind, direct and punctual. We like him enough to drive in an hour after moving a few years ago- and will continue as his support and common sense is invaluable.

flag | Submitted October 16, 2017

When I asked him where he learned about the treatment he delivers he said nowhere and that it is his own. I asked where I could read up on his methods and he said nowhere. This concerns me. His approach is something he has cooked up himself and hasn't been tested by an impartial body of researchers to see how it holds up? It's not evidence based therapy? He gets paid a huge fee for his 3/4 to 1 hour sessions. I would expect my tax dollars to go to a doctor who can stand behind their modality as evidence based. How can it be trusted on the say of the one doctor who practices this method, his own invention? The method seems to help after the 10 sessions or so, but then after that things begin to slide and the child's undesirable behavior comes back. He says just redo the practices, but not all of them are practical to continue indefinitely. Besides all this, I went to him for help in trying to better parent my child with OCD. I was looking for guidance on how to help my child and not make the OCD worse, but he ignored that. He wanted to practice his treatemtent. He decided the problem is oppositional defiance and that I needed help getting my child to obey me without question. He never did addressed the OCD. After treatment the OCD did improve a lot. When I brought this up with the doctor expecting him to say it was an outcome of the treatment he acted surprised and said he did not know what that was all about. This doctor acts superior, cold, rude and snappy. He isn't personable at all and won't chat or offer up anything that might help a patient feel more comfortable. I did warm to him and him me towards the end of the treatment but had I known what he was like ahead of time I would not have bothered to meet with him in the first place.

flag | Submitted June 15, 2017

flag | Submitted April 27, 2017

I am the person who wrote the review posted July 23rd 2016. Guess what. His treatment worked. My child's behavior is transformed. I advise people to push passed their initial reaction to his personality and follow his instructions. Dr. Kimmons does warm up once you get to know him. His heart is in the right place and he has a wealth of experience. The old me would have thought, "forget it" and never returned, but I am glad I saw it through. The treatment is simple, but a challenge to implement. Not because of the child but because of the parent's own habits that are difficult to change. There is no reading or form filling to do with this treatment, which was a welcome surprise. And hey! the treatment is covered by OHIP. So what is there to lose but a bit of time and effort? The benefits are not measurable. I can tell you this though. Our home is a lot more peaceful and calm these days. So thanks to Doctor K.

flag | Submitted September 22, 2016

He comes over as rude, abrupt and snappy. I've only met him twice so far. He strikes me as someone who is unlikely read these statements. His assistant forgot to tell him of our appointment but he apologized and squeezed us in anyway. I really appreciated that he did so. This left us short on time and other patients were waiting for 10 minutes but they told me they did not mind. He is intent on keeping to the point. He is not chit-chatty by any means but he does have a sense of humor. I am wondering whether his methods are evidence based. I was not impressed when he told me ALL the other approaches either do not work or make children worse, because I have read a lot of parenting books and done a lot of research on line. Much of what he said at the second appointment I have heard before and agree with, but when I told him this he shot me down saying that his method is nothing like anything else I have read. Maybe he is correct, but his response left me feeling he has a bit of an ego problem. Yes he is the "expert" not me, but please, a little recognition for knowing some things would be very helpful for patient doctor rapport. He doesn't strike me as a doctor who cares about rapport building, helping patients feel comfortable and less awkward etc. Perhaps he has some social issues himself. I wonder whether he has kids and practiced his methods on them. Anyway, I am prepared to hang in there and give his self professed unique approach a go. I have nothing to lose but a bit of time, effort, focus and gas money and maybe a lot to gain.

flag | Submitted July 23, 2016

The rudest doctor that we've ever met. We don't mind to take us more than an hour wait for our kid's first assessment. However, his assessment was basically just asking us to answer the questionnaires and tell us to go back for further strategy. No patience and his attitude was so discriminated and disrespect!! Never recommend him to anyone!! Just waste our time!!

flag | Submitted April 14, 2016

Dr kimmons is a quack. Makes precipitous judgements with little assessment. Then was unreachable to explain his findings. A thorough assessment by two other providers proved him wrong....thank god!!

flag | Submitted March 16, 2016