Ratings for Dr. Derek Woolner

I have been to this doctor off and on for the last 10 years. I have always found his manner to be odd, but generally found him to be helpful and accepted his mannerisms. When I needed a refreshed referral 6 months ago, I wanted to go back to him and accepted the wait. On this last visit, a resident came in first to gather information about why I was there. She was really good and re-entered the room a few minutes later with Dr W. I found Dr W to be condescending and judgmental. He explained the sun effects on my face by asking "What does your bum look like?". Despite being a devoted sunscreen user, I know he was getting at the effects of not covering up our faces the same way we cover our bums. I felt his approach was disrespectful and also felt embarassed with the resident standing behind him while he questioned me. He gave me two shots with his liquid nitrogen and left the room. Total time, five minutes. We didn't even cover all that I had discussed with the resident. I won't be going back to see him again. He needs to deal with people more respectfully.

flag | Submitted October 6, 2017

I had a positive experience with Dr. Woolner. I felt that my examination was thorough and appreciated having two issues addressed during this visit without having to make another appointment. About half my time was with a resident and the rest with Dr. Woolner. Both were attentive to my questions communicated clearly. Of course I thought of more questions as soon as I left the building but that is a bad habit of mine!

flag | Submitted October 5, 2017

This was the second dermatologist Doctor that we saw in 3 months. The first doctor just talked to us 1 minute and let the nurse to do the treatment to my daughter. And after that the situation became worse than before. But Dr. Woolner is different . He waited patiently to hear what was the problem my daughter had and explained to us what was the best solution to treat it. I recommend this Dr.

flag | Submitted August 11, 2017

Worse Doctor ever. Making another apt with a real doctor. Maybe he's brilliant, he just doesn't care about people and that doesn't work for me.

flag | Submitted May 30, 2017

Dr. Woolner knows his stuff. His bedside manner can come across as gruff, but he is medically brilliant.

flag | Submitted May 29, 2017

This is the worst doctor. Does not know what he is talking about, and he does not even care. Find someone else to help you.

flag | Submitted May 1, 2017

The worst experience with a doctor ever!!! after waiting for my appointment for months! doctor spend less than 5 minutes and left without listing and didn't even understand what the case is nor explaining next step!! rude and unprofessional!

flag | Submitted April 26, 2017

I had been referred to a dermatologist by my family Md and was wait-listed several months. After becoming worried that my conditioning was worsening, I contacted my physician to inquire if there were any way I could be seen quicker - at which point my referral was redirected to Dr. Woolner and had an appointment several months earlier than originally scheduled. Upon arrival at Dr. Woolner's office, I filled out my paperwork and then sat in the waiting room for over an hour past my appointment time. I was finally led into an exam room, where I sat for an additional 20 minutes. Finally Dr. Woolner entered the room followed by a woman whom he failed to introduce, he instructed her to "find out what my problem was" and then left. The woman (Doctor? Med student? Resident? Nurse?? No idea) nervously examined me with zero degree of confidence. She left the room and returned with Dr. Woolner, he lazily and condescendingly explained my condition to this woman. He then turned to me and stated "Now your big question is, you're wondering what you did WRONG to cause this issue?" Without going into too much detail - I have an autoimmune disorder that causes pigmentation problems, so no, I'm not wondering what I did wrong... Also of note - I'm a MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL. He then outlined several treatment options and ended each with telling me they likely won't work. When I asked him what he recommended as the best course of treatment he became clearly irritated. In the end I decided my own best course of treatment - I left his office, got in my car, and immediately phoned my family physician to request a new referral to a different dermatologist. I have now seen my new doctor several times and could not be happier. Do not waste your time with Dr. Woolner. I'm sure he would do well in a research environment, but this man should have NO interaction with patients.

flag | Submitted April 12, 2017

Extremely disappointed with my visit with Dr. Woolner. After waiting four months for my referred dermatology appointment due to more than 3 persistent skin issues, I was extremely disappointed to only be in the office with Dr. Woolner for less than ten minutes. I could scarcely get a word in edgeways to try and describe my skin conditions, and when I did I was dismissed or interrupted. He spent the majority of the time talking to his paper as opposed to making eye contact with me, which made me feel very uncomfortable, and is usually the opposite of how a patient should be made to feel. It should also be noted that he did not even look at the second condition I attempted to bring up with him. I will not be taking the medication (for the one issue) that he prescribed due to the side effects that would negatively affect my day-to-day life. I needed someone to help me and guide me through these consistent issues which have been giving me a really difficult time, and unfortunately Dr. Woolner did not provide that for me.

flag | Submitted March 6, 2017

Very condescending and rude. I was shocked with how disinterested and arrogant he was after waiting months to see him. There are nice ways to engage with people and reassure them they are okay without treating people like idiots. Won't see him again.

flag | Submitted February 15, 2017