Ratings for Dr. Ronald Remick

I have been under psychiatric care since 1984 by at least five different psychiatrists due to the fact that I moved frequently. Some have been excellent. But in my experience, none exceed the compassion, knowledge, or communication skills of Dr. Ron Remick. Through his work at the Mood Disorders Association of British Columbia, the Lookout Society, and his new program Jump Step, Dr. Remick, who is supposedly in retirement, is giving substantial benefit to the community in the areas of mental health, drug addiction, homelessness and more. I have seen Dr. Remick both individually and as part of a group medical counseling program at MDABC, a program he pioneered and nurtured and continues to run. He is also the clinical director of the charitable organization Lookout Society. In all of my interactions with Dr. Remick, his knowledge is unquestionable,. He interacts with me with respect and understanding, and goes way above and beyond what any other therapist in my history has been willing to do. Dr Remick is world-renowned. And he deserves it. If I could give him six stars I would. The doctors in training under Dr. Remick have always been superb in my experience. I have had limited contact with the administrative staff. It is clear they suffer from being overworked and overloaded. I do not blame them for this but as a result I can only award 4 stars in this category due to unreturned phone calls and a very hurried manner.

flag | Submitted August 4, 2019

I saw Ronald Remick years ago. I waited over 1 month to get into see him, after requesting an earlier appointment. The guy was so incompetent, he had not even ordered my medical file (when I finally did get to see him). I did not like this thinking or directions, as I felt I had neurological problems, which Remick was not interested in looking into. Psychosomatic Illness focus only, Psychological Counselling, and Pharmaceutical Drugs. At a 2nd appointment I requested my Medical File (which Remick finally had received) be sent to another Psychiatrist, who performed Neurological Brain Imaging, which did uncover Neurological Problems. Subsequent to the identification of Brain Neurological Problems, I began the rounds to find out what the true nature of the Brain issues were, and of course, fixing them. One of these doctors told me Ronald Remick had recommended in my file that I "be taken off Medicare" for not cooperating on Remick's treatment direction. Clearly, if I had not pursued another opinion, Remick would not have found my neurological problems, or offered any correct treatment. I am convinced if I had stayed with this backstabbing cowardly idiot I would not be here today. I truly feel sorry for the people on this post who relied on Remick as a doctor and received disastrous treatment.

flag | Submitted July 29, 2019

I have seen Dr.Remick for about 5 years now. It was a godsend . My old psychiatrist recommended The Mood Disorders Clinic. Dr. Remick is a very caring Doctor and a solid good guy. He got me active in a few programs , which really helped. When my father passed away, I felt lost. I called Dr.Remick , and asked if I could see him . It made such a difference, I was so grateful for that. We are lucky and fortunate to have such a caring and knowledgeable Doctor. Thanx Ron!

flag | Submitted July 15, 2019

I am a doctor and also a patient. It was so difficult to come forward with such personal distress. I owe my life to this gentle and yet such a strong person. He is inspirational.

flag | Submitted June 27, 2019

Dr. Remick went above and beyond when caring for me in a difficult time. I find his approach to be caring and knowledgeable. Thank you to Dr. Remick and the staff at MDABC for your support.

flag | Submitted May 12, 2018

Dr Remick is an excellent psychiatrist and a very caring person. Recently, he successfully treated a family member who became debilitated from psychotic symptoms. I highly recommend him and the Mood Disorders Association.

flag | Submitted May 7, 2018

I was referred by my doctor to the Mood Disorders Assoc. of BC. I had my doubts as to what the staff would be like, not knowing anything about them. To my surprise, I was given a terrific psychiatrist - Dr. Ron Remick. I have been seeing him for over a year now, and am always amazed at how he can accomplish so much during the group visits that I attend. He is extremely knowledgeable & incredibly competent. However, to me, what is just as important is how caring he is, and the fact that he does more than most doctors will to help. He listens, and truly lets his patients have input regarding their treatment - what they are comfortable with and what they are not. I was incredibly lucky to to find the best psychiatrist I could have asked for!

flag | Submitted April 23, 2018

From the beginning Dr. Remick seemed like a miracle. As time went on it was apparent that he was having a mood disorder. My daughter was never diagnosed properly. She was on various medications and seemed to work for a period of time but was not able to function without constantly being looked after by a family member. She had a husband who was not functioning to full capacity and did not understand my daughters illness but he chose to go along with my daughter to her appointments with Remick. This was a outing for him and Remick would willingly give Him notes to excuse him for going to work. This caused huge downfall for. He struggled with a real issue ---Hoarding which became so severe that the city had to order him to remove his junk or they would come in and remove it and he would pay for it and would also receive a fine. I pleaded with Remick to help him but his rely was "I am looking after it" but he later gave me a note with a list of places for Cognitive Therapy" but at the end he said "only if he wants to" . Nothing happened. Remick. got to dislike me for several reasons. He was not up front with the fact that my daughters medication caused type 2 diabetes. He sent her to a female doctor to inform her she could not have children because she could cause their death. Instead of. a humane approach she chose to humiliate and cause a lot of stress. My daughter got very ill and and was sent to St. Pauls hospital. Remick went on a vacation and while he was gone . When he returned on the Monday he refused to admit her as punishment. He left again and I was able to get another sympathetic Doctor to take her in after having to live with me with the threat of suicide and doing harm to me. Later after another relapse she was admitted to St Paul's and transferred to Richmond hospital where the staff was friendly and doing their best. The young intern was very professional but said he had to phone Remick to get my daughters history. After that he became very cold and would not talk to us. I later found out that Remick told him that I viewed him as a quake. This was totally untrue. I was still waiting for Remick to help my daughter. Remick ruined all our chances. To make a long story short, my daughter finally got her help by a group of workers who had faith in my daughter. They brought in a specialist who was able to giv her a chance to get th help she needed. It was the last hope with this drug. My daughter is now leading a normal life, doing all the things anyone else is doing except losing so many years of living a torture free life. I also forgot to mention the fact that all Remick did for her husband is talk about fishing and orchids , that was her husband' hobby. They have lost their house and are struggling to find a place to live. I only touched on a small part of this story. I must tell the whole story to make people aware of the betrayal, the prejudice and indifference to all the suffering. I cannot find a rating for this situation. It does not exist.

flag | Submitted April 10, 2018

I cannot thank Dr Remick enough for all the support and amazing care he has given me. He helped me to finally discover medication that works well for me and has continually gone over and above the call of duty to help and support me when I needed. Out of dozens of psychiatrists I’ve seen in my life he is in the top two best of the bunch and is an exceptionally great doctor that I highly recommend. He is very compassionate, listens, and remembers an astounding level of personal detail on his patients. He is truly one of a kind.

flag | Submitted March 7, 2018

Dr. Remick is a godsend. I have been seeing him for about 5 years now. From the first visit, he listened and was attentive. He CARED. Dr R. Has been crucial to my well being. He has suggested programs that Might help me. I feel very fortunate to have him and The Mood Disorders Clinic. Ron is a good man. He has helped me so much, and continues to..

flag | Submitted February 24, 2018