You may also like

Ratings for Dr. Ronald Remick

What an extraordinary doctor. After 45 minutes, for the first time in my life, I had an assessment that actually reflected what I had said and was diagnosed with a disorder that was completely accurate. I wish I had had the good fortune of meeting someone like Dr. Remick during the last 40 odd years or so, but, better late than never! Compassionate, caring, supportive, extremely knowledgeable and I honestly believe he is truly passionate about his profession. Sincerely wish there were more like him.

flag | Submitted May 20, 2016

Dr Remick is genuinely kind and smart, but his approach to psychiatry is very dangerous. He ascribes to the neurochemical and biological models of depression, and provides a simplistic, and dualistic approach. I don't disagree that medication can be very helpful in treating mental illness and mood disorders, but it should never, ever be the front line treatment for anxiety and depression, it should always be the last line of defense. I have other issues with his approach, in that he prescribes benzodiazepines, such as clonazepam or ativan, for long term use. This is against prescribing guidelines, and it is extremely dangerous and often leads to addiction. Benzodiazepines have no place in long term psychiatric treatment. My other problem is that he has treated depression using stimulant medication such as dexedrine. This is also extremely dangerous, considering how addictive these medications are, and it shows a very stunted understanding of suffering, and the human condition! A very bad thing to have in a psychiatrist. Treating depression with dexedrine is akin to treating depression with crystal meth. Dexedrine, benzodiazapines, and crystal meth always cause more harm in the long term, that's why they should NEVER be used in the treatment of mood disorders. Don't ever trust a doctor who can't understand that. Other medications such as anti-depressants, anti-psychotics, and mood stabilizers have much more sustainable long term effects, and are acceptable to use long term. However they should still only be used as a last resort, and the whole person, body and mind, must be considered when it comes to treatment. The biological model of depression is regressive, outdated, and far too narrow to provide effective treatment.

Submitted September 1, 2015

Dr. Remick is the best. He has a very progressive approach to psychiatry. He actually listens and genuinely wants to help. He let's me try the medications I want to try, as opposed to other doctors who let me have no say in which drugs they decide to put me on. I've made more progress with my depression in only two sessions with Dr. Remick then I have in the two years prior with my other doctor(s) simply because he asked me "what do YOU think we should do at this point?". No other doc asked me that, and would disregard any of my requests or suggestions. He didn't treat me like a child. I told him what I thought we should do, and he found my idea to be reasonable and agreed, so that's what we did... Lone behold, the medication that I wanted to try, is working like a miracle. He listens and treats you like an adult. I can't possibly imagine what the couple negative reviews are all about. All I can say is that I've talked to countless other patients of his at MDA and they all love him. In short, Dr. Remick is probably the best psychiatrist in Canada!

flag | Submitted August 15, 2015

flag | Submitted July 26, 2015

Dr. Remick is sincerely the kindest doctor I have seen in my 50 years. He always has a smile and is reassuring that things will get better. I truly don't know how he get out of bed everyday to come to work to see the likes of 'me' . he always made me feel like I was his only patient. Never have I seen a doctor respond to emails on a weekend or refills so fast. I hope you have a wonderful retirement, you deserve it, you have served the community above and beyond.

flag | Submitted April 16, 2015

Anything I say will sound like hyperbole. Dr. Remick never stopped amazing me, he would return a phone call while on vacation, he was firm when needed but never ever left me feeling scolded or ashamed. If a medication seemed scary, or there was a concern, you could call him and talk to him in a day. All other psychiatrists I've had made me wait until my next appointment, excuse me, this is my brain.. you know that right, my brain.. it's important to me. He was always there for me, even when I was no longer a patient. I have no idea how he did what he did, none, not with his own practice, his outreach, the hospitals for whom he was a consultant. He learned from his patients, there was no battle of egos "I'm the Doctor, I know" He allowed me to say "No this is not working for me" it wasn't a problem. He didn't micromanage medication, he allowed me to decide what made me feel better (which is the point, is it not? Unfortunately he's the only Psychiatrist I've had who didn't tell me how I was supposed to be feeling on a medication, or blame me for it not working. I miss him, I hope he set a precedent, I hope he has the retirement of his dreams. I thank him for existing. I still get misty eyed missing his approach, it worked. No one else has been able to bring out the l happy, productive, creative person I was when I saw him.

flag | Submitted February 12, 2015

Absolutely the best doctor - and warmest person - I have ever known in many many years of treatment for mood disorders. Unsurpassed kindness, treats patients like human beings, unbelievably available to help & answer questions. Puts so much into helping patients - you lose hope, you see him again, and against every expectation find you are hopeful again. Has accomplished so much to help people at MDABC and established ways for people to get timely help when before it wasn't even possible to find a psychiatrist who had an open waiting list. He will be greatly missed upon his retirement - nobody can fill those shoes. A truly good and inspirational human being.

flag | Submitted December 9, 2014

i went to a gmv just to meet the man, knowing full well he's retiring by year's end. because he's left a lasting legacy in his field. i went to meet the guy and shake his hand.

flag | Submitted October 9, 2014

Dr. Remick is an incredible individual and an exceptional psychiatrist. I could not recommend anything that he could do better. He goes above and beyond, is extremely knowledgeable, sincere, humble, kind, caring and compassionate. I just saw him recently after not seeing him for over 15 years and he was kind enough to fit me in and see me personally prior to his retirement. He is prompt with communicating via email and so helpful. He really took the time to listen to me, understand my illness and to also understand me as a person. His support over the years has been so appreciated. I have so much to thank him for. He is the reason I am still here today and doing well. Every psychiatrist should aspire to be as good as he is. Enjoy your retirement, Dr. Remick and thank you again for every kindness you have shown me over the years. Best wishes always! SF

flag | Submitted October 8, 2014

Dr. Remick is exceptional. His knowledge, experience and compassion are unprecedented. He helped me recover from severe depression when I attended group medical visits through MDA . I witnessed the mental health of dozens of his other patients improve significantly. He is true to his word when he tells his patients, “You will get better”

flag | Submitted August 31, 2014

Dr. Ronald Remick's Credentials

Updates

• A new 5-star rating has been posted. "What an extraordinary doctor. After 45 minutes, for the first time in my life, I had an assessment that actually reflected what I had said and was diagnosed wi..."

May 20, 2016
  • A new 2.5-star rating has been posted. "Dr Remick is genuinely kind and smart, but his approach to psychiatry is very dangerous. He ascribes to the neurochemical and biological models of depression, a..."

September 1, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Dr. Remick is the best. He has a very progressive approach to psychiatry. He actually listens and genuinely wants to help. He let's me try the medications I wan..."

August 15, 2015
  • A new 2.8-star rating has been posted. "Vastly overprescribed me based on a shallow 10 min interview. Did not return and luckily found a doctor who made the right diagnosis. "

July 26, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Dr. Remick is sincerely the kindest doctor I have seen in my 50 years. He always has a smile and is reassuring that things will get better. I truly don't know..."

April 16, 2015
  • A new 1-star rating has been posted. "The first negative response was he is " all about the pharmaceuticals". The second negative response "one less stain"... . Just one more psychiatrist trying to ..."

March 28, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Anything I say will sound like hyperbole. Dr. Remick never stopped amazing me, he would return a phone call while on vacation, he was firm when needed but n..."

February 12, 2015
  • A new 1-star rating has been posted. "Thank god he is retired. One less stain of society out of the game."

February 5, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Absolutely the best doctor - and warmest person - I have ever known in many many years of treatment for mood disorders. Unsurpassed kindness, treats patients li..."

December 9, 2014
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "i went to a gmv just to meet the man, knowing full well he's retiring by year's end. because he's left a lasting legacy in his field. i went to meet the guy ..."

October 9, 2014
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Dr. Remick is an incredible individual and an exceptional psychiatrist. I could not recommend anything that he could do better. He goes above and beyond, is ..."

October 8, 2014