Ratings for Dr. Ronald Remick

I see a lot of people commenting about dexadrine. I suffer from a severe mental illness including 3 anxiety disorders. When I explain my symptoms to him he just ups the dexadrine RX. I've never been more irritable, angry, and mentally sick in my life on dexadrine. It is not the right medication for everybody regardless if it works for a majority of your patients. You must have an agreement with the dexadrine company because you push it onto everybody for every mental illness. Otherwise I'm sure he's great but I disagree with this drug and giving it to everyone.

flag | Submitted April 18, 2017

Dr. Remick was part of a hospital study a few years ago, and most of us were very happy with him being a part of it. Unfortunately though, we also saw a side of him that wasn't very nice. He openly criticized us for not doing what was expected in the program on a few occasions. It looked like he was having a temper tantrum. And from experience, he's great to work with as long as he's not under stress or mad about something. When he's mad, I wouldn't stay in the room. He also made a lot of cutting remarks to certain members of the volunteer group, and frankly I lost all respect for him after that. It's not enough to be a great doctor, you need to be a good human being as well. And this is all my personal opinion though I wonder how much differently others would see this. At the end a number of participants no longer wanted to be in the program and that's sad because overall the program was a lot of fun and very helpful, but selecting Remick as psychiatrist for this program wasn't a good decision in hindsight.

flag | Submitted March 24, 2017

Dr. Remick is absolutely the best psychiatrist/doctor that humankind could ask for! Unbelievable! I have never seen anyone better & I've dealt with psychiatrists/doctors for 5 family members for as long as 50 years! Knowledgeable, kind and caring! Absolutely the best/gives 100++%! No one could match his skills!

flag | Submitted November 10, 2016

Dr. Remick was a psychiatrist-yes, but practicing as a psychopharmacologist, so saying he relied to much on medication is like being angry at a Naturopath for not prescribing Xanax. I saw Dr Remick for 15 years. I sometimes actually make a slip and refer to that time as "When I was alive" Yes I was prescribed medication and it scared the hell out of me, I'd never smoked pot. Never did I feel 'drugged' dexedrine for anxiety-I thought he was crazy I really did. It worked. it worked brilliantly. I wasn't high, I'm on the same amount 20 years later, He was intuitive, kind, humble, and would answer a phone call within an hour-I don't know how he did it. His philosophy is a line from Ranier Maria Rilke "Do not rid me of my demons for with them my angels may flee too" I was never more myself then when under his care. Unfortunately now, as happens with every psychiatric med- There are new, better, less addictive ones, the older ones are absolutely demonized It's marketing B.S in most cases Some meedications from the 1960s such as Tricyclics are more successful than any fancy new big pharma promoted antidepressant. My new Doctors are always pushing Seroquel Zyprexa When my new psychiatrist asked me to switch to Seroquel I asked why, she said "Well we know the one you're on can cause memory impairment over time" I said "Mine has been out for 40 years Seroquel has been out for a year, and tested for 6 weeks, how can you say it won't be found that it's side effects will be worse over time?" She admitted it was a good question, but that she hadn't considered it herself frightened me Of course now it's known-it can cause diabetes, metabolic syndrome, tardive dyskenesia.. but my Doctors are are insisting on them, and are forcing me off the dexedrine though I've never abused it, their attitude is literally killing me Thinking and learning are my favourite things, and I didn't know that until I took Dexedrine, it was like gauze being taken from my mind. Physics? Me. It became a passion- If anyone had told me that would happen, I'd have laughed myself cock-eyed. More likely ? Head of a Mafia Family, Pole Dancer- I will never forget Doctor Remick, his kindness, his concern, his artistry, his unwillingness to bow to current trends if it wasn't working- A truly amazing man, amazing in the true sense of the word. From conversation I know he believes in many roads to mental health. He was practicing *one* of them. So blessed to have had him. To feel normal grief, to be social, to feel reward at accomplishment. I miss that.

flag | Submitted November 8, 2016

I know a lot of reviewers seem to love him, and I'm sure he helped a number of people. I also know a few people that he didn't help and whose conditions he actually made worse. One reviewer talks about Dexitrim, which is frankly shocking. But Dr. Remick prescribed it anyway. The result was that this person, along with their change purse of other prescribed medications ended up in a psychiatric ward where the doctors had to slowly wean them off most of their meds. Dr. Remick is no longer practising and I can't say that's a bad thing. I think he relied too heavily on medications, many of which were very popular back in the 1980s but which no longer have relevance today.

flag | Submitted September 27, 2016

I used to have a doctor in Montreal who treated me for PTSD and anxiety, my current psychiatrist is Dr Torbicki but I had the opportunity to attend a GMV with Dr Remick, this man is highly competent, he has an infinite understanding of things, he is kind, compassionate, no wonder why he's so famous and well rated, God Bless Him, the Mood Disorder Association is a Life Saver!

flag | Submitted June 20, 2016

What an extraordinary doctor. After 45 minutes, for the first time in my life, I had an assessment that actually reflected what I had said and was diagnosed with a disorder that was completely accurate. I wish I had had the good fortune of meeting someone like Dr. Remick during the last 40 odd years or so, but, better late than never! Compassionate, caring, supportive, extremely knowledgeable and I honestly believe he is truly passionate about his profession. Sincerely wish there were more like him.

flag | Submitted May 20, 2016

Dr Remick is genuinely kind and smart, but his approach to psychiatry is very dangerous. He ascribes to the neurochemical and biological models of depression, and provides a simplistic, and dualistic approach. I don't disagree that medication can be very helpful in treating mental illness and mood disorders, but it should never, ever be the front line treatment for anxiety and depression, it should always be the last line of defense. I have other issues with his approach, in that he prescribes benzodiazepines, such as clonazepam or ativan, for long term use. This is against prescribing guidelines, and it is extremely dangerous and often leads to addiction. Benzodiazepines have no place in long term psychiatric treatment. My other problem is that he has treated depression using stimulant medication such as dexedrine. This is also extremely dangerous, considering how addictive these medications are, and it shows a very stunted understanding of suffering, and the human condition! A very bad thing to have in a psychiatrist. Treating depression with dexedrine is akin to treating depression with crystal meth. Dexedrine, benzodiazapines, and crystal meth always cause more harm in the long term, that's why they should NEVER be used in the treatment of mood disorders. Don't ever trust a doctor who can't understand that. Other medications such as anti-depressants, anti-psychotics, and mood stabilizers have much more sustainable long term effects, and are acceptable to use long term. However they should still only be used as a last resort, and the whole person, body and mind, must be considered when it comes to treatment. The biological model of depression is regressive, outdated, and far too narrow to provide effective treatment.

Submitted September 1, 2015

Dr. Remick is the best. He has a very progressive approach to psychiatry. He actually listens and genuinely wants to help. He let's me try the medications I want to try, as opposed to other doctors who let me have no say in which drugs they decide to put me on. I've made more progress with my depression in only two sessions with Dr. Remick then I have in the two years prior with my other doctor(s) simply because he asked me "what do YOU think we should do at this point?". No other doc asked me that, and would disregard any of my requests or suggestions. He didn't treat me like a child. I told him what I thought we should do, and he found my idea to be reasonable and agreed, so that's what we did... Lone behold, the medication that I wanted to try, is working like a miracle. He listens and treats you like an adult. I can't possibly imagine what the couple negative reviews are all about. All I can say is that I've talked to countless other patients of his at MDA and they all love him. In short, Dr. Remick is probably the best psychiatrist in Canada!

flag | Submitted August 15, 2015

Vastly overprescribed me based on a shallow 10 min interview. Did not return and luckily found a doctor who made the right diagnosis.

flag | Submitted July 26, 2015