Ratings for Dr. Anthony Petrasek

Dr. Petrasek is an amazing surgeon, no doubt, with excellent patient/ doctor skills prior to surgery. He is highly informative, makes sure that his patient is provided with as much knowledge, verbal and printed and very reassuring about his skills and concern with his patient. On a scale of 1-10 I would give him 10+, prior to surgery. After surgery, he was out to see us and talk to us for half an hour. He was incredibly patient and in no rush to leave us. Since surgery, we have found him to be indecisive, unsure, inept to a small degree, and unwilling or unable to look at the patient's wife while he talks to a male family member in the room. He has a poor bedside manner, which I would assume is common for a surgeon. Ineptness in following through with what he says he will do, uncertainty with regard to the post-op issues at hand. He leaves family and patient feeling as if he does not have time to deal with the problem at hand. We will arrange for further surgeries at Lakeridge Health in the future. He has left me, family and friends totally at a loss over his lack of bedside manner!

flag | Submitted April 4, 2017

My father had appendix removed by Dr. Petrasek. Horrific post surgical infection resulted and wound had to be reopened and drained. Post surgery care in office was unprofessional and my elderly mother had to assist him in changing the dressing as Dr. attempted to do it alone and couldn't hold drains and bandages by himself!! Wildly long and painful recovery. Pick another surgeon!

flag | Submitted March 20, 2017

Absolutely ridiculous. Arriving 20 minutes early for what was to be a quick consultation regarding surgery. Despite being the only one in the waiting room, 40 minutes passed without being talked to. Afterwards patients with appointments began coming in, all of whom were seen before me. The doctor would go to his receptionist and pick whom he wanted to see, commenting to the receptionist that he would handle my colonoscopy later (I wasn't there for a colonoscopy). After over an hour, and seeing 4 people who entered the office well after me, I couldn't wait any longer as I had to pick up my child. I left, commenting that this was ridiculous. After getting my child home I called to reschedule, and was informed because I left he would not reschedule me unless I had my family doctor set it up again . I waited over a month for what was supposed to be a quick consultation,. The receptionist told me that he seen all the other patients first in order to spend more time with me, which was a flat out lie because a) it was just supposed to be a quick meeting to discuss my options for surgery, and b) he had no idea why I was there, and thought it was for a colonoscopy. I wouldn't recommend seeing him as they can't manage appointments in any way, can't adhere to a time schedule, and if you have any obligations in your life that prevent you from waiting 2 hours past your allotted time, it's apparently offensive to him and he wont be bothered to see you at all

flag | Submitted December 12, 2016

Three surgeries with Dr. Petrasek, the most wonderful, caring physician, skilled, warm, I can't say enough about him, and his office staff are so helpful.

flag | Submitted October 27, 2016

We saw Dr Petrasek 3 times in his office - (1) once was the initial consultation/referral appointment for surgery to remove a cancerous tumour (2) the week before the scheduled surgery (3) the post surgery follow-up appointment. The first appointment we left feeling confident in his ability and comfortable with what was about to happen. He answered all of our questions and it was a good appointment considering the subject matter. We had heard he was good and saw it for ourselves. #2 would have been our last appt if it had have been the first time with him. There were a few minor things that bothered us but not a big deal in the grand scheme of things really (like speaking to us in the 3rd person because he didn't know which one of us was the patient) but the real issue was that he is in a hurry to get you out of the office. I'm sure this helps with his good punctuality ratings but when cancer has you facing the first real threat on your life, you need the opportunity to ask questions (we had done some research and had prepared a couple questions - nothing onerous just some clarifications). He left the office at one point while we were asking a question and gave us an answer while he walked out of sight to the secretary - at which point I reassured my mother that she has the right to ask her questions, don't be rushed and we would not leave until we did so. The 3rd appt was the same - he gave his speach, dictated into his recorder for the family doctor letter, pauses for a polite moment as a formality to allow for questions while he opened the office door to indicate that your appointment is really over. We asked our 2 questions anyway which he did answer. MY POINT IS - BE PREPARED FOR THIS BUT DON'T LET IT PREVENT YOU FROM ASKING WHAT YOU NEED TO!

flag | Submitted June 16, 2016

My daughter ended up at PRHC (after being at CMHC twice in one week) with severe adominal pain caused by gallbladder?virus?dehydration. We couldnt beleive the care she recieved.Dr.Petrasek sat with us listened carefully and reassured us that she would not leave hspt until he got to bottom of problem.He is a very caring doctor.Ran every test possible. Highly recommend him. Big thanks.

flag | Submitted April 11, 2016

A very caring doctor and an excellent surgeon. He took me in as a patient in a short notice and immediately arranged a surgery. Very efficient and explains to the patient very clearly. His office staffs, Marlene and Ramona, are extremely helpful. I am very grateful to have him as my surgeon.

flag | Submitted January 24, 2016

An amazing surgeon and very caring and has been for many years. I knew him more than 10 years ago. He saved the life of a friend who was not very well attended at the PRHC and he was not even assigned to this person. I will never forget his care

flag | Submitted July 16, 2015

Extremely caring. He advocates hard for his patient and works through any red tape. Ramona and Marlene, his office experts are caring and efficient as well. So fortunate to have this level of care after a very unexpected diagnosis

flag | Submitted January 19, 2015

a very rare surgeon, takes the time with his patients to make sure they completely understand the procedure and possible complications, answers all questions and concerns and truly cares about your well-being. He even came down to my ultrasound to get the results himself and re booked my surgery to an earlier date as I waited. Truly a rare and wonderful doctor.

flag | Submitted January 25, 2013