Ratings for Dr. Katherine Paton

Dr. Paton knows her stuff and is a caring doctor but the wat times are ridiculously and unacceptably long! Yesterday I had a 5:30 pm appointment for 4 weeks post cataract surgery. At 6:40 pm I was told I was number 6 at about 15 minutes per patient. That would have me seeing the doctor at 8 pm. I went out to put more money in the meter and listened to the radio in my car. A bit after 7 I tried to go back in and the doors of the building were locked (Front and back) and her assistant even though in the office, had turned off the phones until Monday morning. So after waiting 1 ½ hours I went home. I won't be back. Technically and personality wise, she is a great doctor. However her system treats patients with contempt. I won't be back. Be warned that when people say she is not punctual, they mean the wait can be hours. And no, this was not just one time.

flag | Submitted October 22, 2016

The wait times are sometimes extremely long. I make my yearly appointment months in advance and try to make it as early in the morning as I can that way the wait time is usually shorter. She is very thorough, pleasant and explains things in detail so I understand. I did my research before I saw her and her credentials are impressive I wouldn't trust any other doctor to treat my condition and I'm grateful to have her.

flag | Submitted September 12, 2016

She's been there since my surgery and I am grateful to have her in my life. She knows her stuff, she is bright and she cares. Yes, the waits can be long, very long. But understanding the BC medical system and supply of good doctors, I deal with it. I do my homework catch up on reading, or just relax. At the end of the day, I know she is an amazing doctor and I wouldn't want anyone else.

flag | Submitted August 30, 2016

There is no doubt that Dr. Paton knows her stuff. She is knowledgable, pleasant and lovely to deal with. HOWEVER this does not make her punctuality acceptable. As an engineer I am responsible for the well being and safety of many more people than her on any given day, and if I was consistently late for my appointments my clients would fire me. Even though spending four to five hours waiting for he is extremely costly to me, I cannot fire her as I need her more than she needs me. Very frustrating to be helpless like this.

flag | Submitted August 18, 2016

Do some of you even realize just how lucky you are to have your eyesight in the hands of this warm , caring, personable and knowledgable doctor? In my eyes, she is more than perfect. Yes, the wait times may be long but Dr. Paton is worth every minute. Know that the time that she takes with other patients, is also the time that she will will also take with you. I feel privileged to be Dr. Paton's patient.

flag | Submitted August 3, 2016

Sitting in the waiting room for my 4:45 appointment. It's 6:50 and I haven't even been called into one of the rooms yet. Space out your appointments instead of wasting everyone's time.

flag | Submitted July 27, 2016

We waited months for this appointment, and got confirmation about a month ahead of the appointment date. We parked, paid for parking, got to the office 10 minutes ahead of the appointment time. After handing in the CareCard, the receptionist told me they are running late. I asked how late and she said at least 2 hours. I was appalled and told her we do have other appointments and she could have given us a call. She said they don't do that. Long story short, the doctor was rude and condescending, has absolutely no bedside manners, and have no respect for anybody else's time. I don't know how knowledgeble she is, because she didn't bother to do any explanation and stormed out of the room. If you can find anybody else, don't go to her.

flag | Submitted July 26, 2016

I had a horrifying experience with Dr. Paton today. I had an appointment with her this morning and, as usual, I waited 2 hours after my appointment time before I got in to see her. As I'm a curious person, I asked her, in a very polite way, why she does not space out her appointments more, given that she seems to run so consistently late. I did not criticize her or show any anger whatsoever. I simply asked the question. She stared at me as though I had slapped her across the face and told me that she knew the wait times were long and that if I didn't like it to "go somewhere else." She then proceeded to tell me that "the system" is broken and "why don't you try to fix it". The worst part was when she said "I just had to give a 10-minute explanation to a man about his wife's eye and if I told him to f**k off then I'd have more patients mad at me" I honestly cannot remember the exact wording of the last part of that sentence (after the F word) because I was completely in shock that she had used language like that with a patient. Throughout her rant I continuously said "I'm sorry, I did not mean to offend you" but she never stopped. Finally, she told me she was leaving the room (she had already put eye dilating drops in my eyes) and slammed the door behind her. I sat in shock for about 10 minutes before beginning to cry uncontrollably. I could not believe a professional person, a physician, had behaved that way with a patient. I left the exam room before she came back. I will never, ever go to Dr. Paton again. She is clearly not psychologically fit to see patients.

flag | Submitted July 11, 2016

DR KATHERINE PATON is ophthalmology’s most celebrated surgeons in Vancouver BC. She is ingenious in her field all the while approachable. I had a motor vehicle accident and almost lost my eyesight. I've only learned about Dr. Paton 4 years after my accident. However, it is no accident how I came across her name, after prolonged research and visits to several highly recommended ophthalmologist in B.C. I wanted to feel I can trust again, and simply stated no other ophthalmologist could possibly measure up to Dr. Paton. My friend who is an insurance broker in the field recommended I complete my research via "BEST DOCTORS" and I submitted my case to best doctors who recommended Dr. Paton. "BEST DOCTORS" is a peer rating in the medical industry. I was anxious to meet Dr. Paton and during my very first appointment I knew that the higher power has directed me to be treated by her angelic care. She's pragmatic, realistic, risk averse, and intuitive and I guess that's the difference I had experienced with Dr. Paton from her male Colleagues whom I had consulted with in the ophthalmic field. I had my eye surgery and it was successful. And yes be prepared to wait for long hours, each case is unique and your "gift of sight awaits you". Sally her assistant is also a wonderful, caring, hard working and accommodating staff member who keeps the environment calm and your surgeries and appointments organized. EXCELLENT RATING IS UNDERSTATED Thank-You "Dr. Paton" and Thanks Sally! SS

flag | Submitted July 8, 2016

an excellent opthamologist but life is too short to be spent sitting in the waiting room for 6 hours. She needs to reduce the number of scheduled appointments in her day to allow for all the emergency patients that arrive and cut into line. I have transferred to another excellent opthamologist, closer to home, whose office is run more efficiently.

flag | Submitted July 7, 2016