Ratings for Dr. Katherine Paton

I had a horrifying experience with Dr. Paton today. I had an appointment with her this morning and, as usual, I waited 2 hours after my appointment time before I got in to see her. As I'm a curious person, I asked her, in a very polite way, why she does not space out her appointments more, given that she seems to run so consistently late. I did not criticize her or show any anger whatsoever. I simply asked the question. She stared at me as though I had slapped her across the face and told me that she knew the wait times were long and that if I didn't like it to "go somewhere else." She then proceeded to tell me that "the system" is broken and "why don't you try to fix it". The worst part was when she said "I just had to give a 10-minute explanation to a man about his wife's eye and if I told him to f**k off then I'd have more patients mad at me" I honestly cannot remember the exact wording of the last part of that sentence (after the F word) because I was completely in shock that she had used language like that with a patient. Throughout her rant I continuously said "I'm sorry, I did not mean to offend you" but she never stopped. Finally, she told me she was leaving the room (she had already put eye dilating drops in my eyes) and slammed the door behind her. I sat in shock for about 10 minutes before beginning to cry uncontrollably. I could not believe a professional person, a physician, had behaved that way with a patient. I left the exam room before she came back. I will never, ever go to Dr. Paton again. She is clearly not psychologically fit to see patients.

flag | Submitted July 11, 2016

DR KATHERINE PATON is ophthalmology’s most celebrated surgeons in Vancouver BC. She is ingenious in her field all the while approachable. I had a motor vehicle accident and almost lost my eyesight. I've only learned about Dr. Paton 4 years after my accident. However, it is no accident how I came across her name, after prolonged research and visits to several highly recommended ophthalmologist in B.C. I wanted to feel I can trust again, and simply stated no other ophthalmologist could possibly measure up to Dr. Paton. My friend who is an insurance broker in the field recommended I complete my research via "BEST DOCTORS" and I submitted my case to best doctors who recommended Dr. Paton. "BEST DOCTORS" is a peer rating in the medical industry. I was anxious to meet Dr. Paton and during my very first appointment I knew that the higher power has directed me to be treated by her angelic care. She's pragmatic, realistic, risk averse, and intuitive and I guess that's the difference I had experienced with Dr. Paton from her male Colleagues whom I had consulted with in the ophthalmic field. I had my eye surgery and it was successful. And yes be prepared to wait for long hours, each case is unique and your "gift of sight awaits you". Sally her assistant is also a wonderful, caring, hard working and accommodating staff member who keeps the environment calm and your surgeries and appointments organized. EXCELLENT RATING IS UNDERSTATED Thank-You "Dr. Paton" and Thanks Sally! SS

flag | Submitted July 8, 2016

an excellent opthamologist but life is too short to be spent sitting in the waiting room for 6 hours. She needs to reduce the number of scheduled appointments in her day to allow for all the emergency patients that arrive and cut into line. I have transferred to another excellent opthamologist, closer to home, whose office is run more efficiently.

flag | Submitted July 7, 2016

As many MANY others have said, the waiting times are RIDICULOUS. Despite the fact your appointment could have been made months in advance, every single time Ive seen the Dr. Ive had to wait anywhere between 2-61/2 hours in the full waiting room, which is slightly ridiculous. It tells me that there is a clear issue with over booking and/or punctuality by the doctor. Never once has the long waiting times even been mentioned by any of the staff or Doctor, let alone apologized for.

flag | Submitted June 8, 2016

She knows her stuff. Very nice patient interaction. She is no nonsense and gets to the point HONESTLY. No frills or beating about the bush. I like her!! If you have to wait for awhile to see her, she is worth it.

flag | Submitted February 23, 2016

This doctor over booked herself on a Tuesday. Making patients wait over 3 hours for their appointments. No apology , no discussion. The secretary hid herself to avoid the uncomfortable stares she was receiving. To top the experience off she accepted people in who have barely waited 20 mins! 30 dollars for parking and a sore behind for this atrocious visit. Never again.

flag | Submitted January 5, 2016

It's a cancer clinic. People waiting are from all over the province and have likely booked overnight accommodation. If locals have to wait 3 hrs, so what? We're very fortunate to have access to this level of service.

flag | Submitted December 2, 2015

I am happy that Dr. Paton is my Oncologist. I was diagnosed with aggressive Melanoma in 1997 and I am still here with my eye. In 2013 my eyelid grew over the top of my tumour and I was rushed into a partial eye replacement surgery within 2 weeks. Again I still have my eye. Dr. Paton's receptionist Grace is a wonderful lady when you take the time to talk to her with respect and understanding. I have sat in the wait ting area and from some of the things Grace has to deal with along with keeping the clinic running smoothly I too would be very curt with some people. The wait times are lengthly as the drops needed to either freeze or dilate your eye take that long or to get the results back from issued tests. The best is to plan for the day and calm down.

flag | Submitted November 3, 2015

Like many of the others who have reviewed Dr. Paton I have been her patient for about 20 years now. As a doctor she is definitely worth the wait. However I am in agreement that the current receptionist has demonstrated her incompetence and hostility and an unnecessary level of attitude to the point of being quite mean to me on every occasion. I have had appointments that I was unaware of and appointments cancelled and not re-booked till months later or re-booked without my knowledge. This is very frustrating being without treatment for visual issues - as the patients including myself should be treated with at the least some level of respect.

flag | Submitted May 6, 2015

Doctor Paton's wait times may be long, but totally worth it. She definitely shows compassion and care for her patients. Grace though not really a warm and fuzzy receptionist, gets her job done and takes care of business.

flag | Submitted April 23, 2015