Ratings for Dr. Pierre Coutu

Don't bother wasting your time .... He may know his stuff and he may have been a great surgeon in his day but he doesn't operate anymore. So I spent 3 weeks with him going for CT Scans, Gallium Scans Ultrasounds and then a Angiogram for him to confirm I have a blockage in my leg. He tell's me I need a procedure that will be done in Peterborough! A week later I get a call from Peterborough - A new Surgeon (Dr. Alan Thompson) who tells me we need to do an Ultrasound - So I was referred from a "Vascular Surgeon" who doesn't operate anymore to another "Vascular Surgeon who does and he wants all of his own tests done! Talk about a Scam with OHIP and with Patients! So I now refer to "Dr. Coutu" and a vascular consultant - and you know what they say about consultants!

flag | Submitted May 25, 2017

I had the pleasure of visiting this office, and I have to say professionalism at it finest. The first thing I noticed is that the office is well appointed, and believe it or not the seating is very comfortable should you have to wait. I don't know about you, but when I'm uncomfortable I cannot sit in the fold out chairs that appoint most of our medical offices today. Second, I was seen at my appointed time for my testing (which had a spa/zen like feel without the water sounds, and music of course) and my technician was very efficient and personable. Then to my most pleasant surprise was the appointment with the doctor who had already reviewed the results of the tests and was ready for a discussion with me. How is that for one stop shopping? I personally really appreciate an operation (no pun intended) with that level of efficiency. Once the doctor told me there was nothing to be concerned about, I got up to leave...but he said "not so fast, we are not through". Oh darn!!! Turned out he wanted to ensure that there were no additional causes for alarm (beyond what that ultrasound showed), and completed the testing with a physical checking of the abdomen and chest. Still no cause for alarm. He did however suggest a followup to another area of medicine that may be causing the problem I've been experiencing. Plus, I left with a requested copy of my disc, and got my parking card stamped for the reduced rate. No BS..no delays...just effective and efficient. When and where else does that happen in the medical field these days. I found the doctor to be professional which is what I want in a doctor. I already have enough friends, and I doubt that he is coming to dinner anytime soon. So if you want a "doctor", this is the man to see. I see comments that he can be like Dr. House (I don't quite see that), but if I had a problem.. I'd want Dr House working on it!

flag | Submitted May 14, 2017

I have seen Dr Coutu on three different occasions and I believe he is straight forward, informs you on what needs to be done and is excellent at his craft. I would rather have a skilled doctor than a social butterfly

flag | Submitted March 29, 2017

I have nothing but good things to say about Dr Coutu. He is a little bit like " Dr. House". and at first I didn't care for him. He is an excellent doctor and unfortunately for some he tells it like it is. No sugar coating here. Gets the job done with your help of course.

flag | Submitted August 17, 2015

My first appt with Coutu he sent me for a 'dye' CT. About 2mons ago I went back for my results, he told me everything was fine and he would see me in a year. I went to my GP recently who told me what was in the report. I have 'calcified thyroid and marks on my lungs' which both need to be checked out ASAP. I guess this is what Coutu considers 'fine'. I told Coutu about my history with having cancer. I called to speak with Coutu and the receptionist told me that he never speaks to a patient on the phone. I told her I wanted to know why he didn't tell me about what was in the report. She calls back and says he doesn't know what report I'm talking about and that he didn't miss anything and asked if I could come into the office in 2 days, I said NO!! Again, I told her about me having cancer, about the thyroid and the lung. 20 mins later my phone rings, this time it is Coutu himself. He apologizes for 'missing it'. Said that they recommend that i have further tests done, told him that has already been arranged by my GP. It's nice that he apologized but doesn't excuse 'missing it'. These are serious concerns, both have potential of being cancer. I am angry that he didn't follow through and read the report. My GP now only wants me to see specialist in Scarborough that he knows personally. I wish I would have googled Coutu before my first visit. "Sorry" just doesn't cover it. I would NOT recommend Coutu to anyone ...ever. He is nuts if he thinks he will see me in year.

flag | Submitted June 8, 2015

My 85 yr old mother was referred to Dr. Coutu in February 2015. The "doctor" for lack of a better title rudely told her "your feet are dirty, go home and the discoloration will go away." She went back to her family doctor who then referred her to a vascular surgeon in Peterborough. Her appt. was for April. Concern by the family resulted in getting the appt. bumped up a month to March 2015. Upon seeing my mom, this new doctor immediately admitted her to the Peterborough hospital. He also tried to read the MRI that "Dr. Coutu" had done, and couldn't even read it! Needless to say, after three surgeries (first one the night she was admitted) and a bypass surgery (1 of 5 survive at her age) she underwent a below knee amputation and eventually a above knee amputation, And on May 17, 2015, she passed away, Words cannot describe the feelings I have for "Dr, Coutu". I do know, that I am not finished with letting people know of our experience with him. No stars!!!!!

flag | Submitted June 8, 2015

Great doctor! Knowledgeable, and well prepared. I would recommend him to anyone!

flag | Submitted November 21, 2013

While I might agree that he is short and to the point, sometimes coming across rude, crude, arrogant, among other words that were used here, it should be noted that immature people will use these harsh words to disgrace an educated person and in the end, helpful individual simply because they do not understand. A mature person who has health problems will realize that a specialization in a field such as surgery encompasses a great deal of stress and moreover, health is no joke or laughing matter. While you may not like his behavior, you are not seeing him to give you a sugar coated version of your sometimes poor health situation. If you have to be sent for test, then so be it. If that's what it takes. The people on here obviously don't quite understand the difference of spcialization and family medicine. Read up on it before you criticize someone trying to help you.

flag | Submitted June 18, 2013

I have seen Dr. Coutu for a few years now and can say he is a quiet man who knows exactly what he is doing. I've engaged him in small talk and he has been more than pleasant while treating me. Which funny enough, is why I went to see him- to be treated. I like him, he doesn't mess around or waste my time which I appreciate. I was online to rebook with him when I stumbled across this forum. I am disappointed to read such horrific things about such a capable and talented surgeon when a lot of it is irrelevant to his craft and seems targeted to his personality. It is a shame he isn't doing surgery anymore but hey- there is more to life than this rat race and maybe if he was dealing with the kinds of people who are commenting here than I do not blame him for a second for getting out of there. I recommend him without hesitation.

flag | Submitted May 27, 2012

Excellent Doctor. Easy to talk to. Patient with family members.

flag | Submitted August 10, 2011