Ratings for Dr. Albert Lau

I wish this doctor saw patients outside the hospital, hes the greatest doctor I have ever encountered in all time. Hes kind, friendly and very clear with his understandings. I have been coming to St. Joes for as long as I can remember and in the event of any medical emergency we always attend St. Joes no question, just last night I was there with my infant even though he wasn't on shift in the area I was in he noticed me came to say hi, played with my infant and went out of his way to get him a teddy bear. On days where the wait is long and he is there he makes the wait alot less stressful

flag | Submitted October 18, 2017

EXCELLENT BEDSIDE MANNER, KIND AND WITTY, QUICK YET CLEAR WITH EXPLANATIONS

flag | Submitted June 12, 2016

Tried his best to remove a stingray Barb but didn't want to damage tissue and bone. Referred me to plastic syrgeo

flag | Submitted April 7, 2016

I did not have a positive experience with Dr. Lau. After coming into the ER with an ankle injury, he proceeded to tell me that Ultimate Frisbee (how I hurt my ankle) was "not a real sport, not like hockey." He may have been joking but I was really scared and it was not the support I needed. He then walked in and said that it wasn't broken, and that was that and dismissed me. He said that they would give me a referral to the fracture clinic, but I didn't need to go, it was my choice. He then didn't offer me any meditation to help with my pain until my friend who took me asked him to (and even then seemed resistant). It felt like he didn't believe me, the worst thing to feel while experiencing my first injury. When I decided it wouldn't hurt to go to the fracture clinic, they told me there that I had torn my ankle ligaments on both sides and I have since then been in a cast for six weeks. And he told me I didn't have to go! If I had listened to him, I can't imagine the amount of pain and poor recovery I would have gone through. I work at a hospital so I know that it is stressful and very busy, however at least be accurate with your assessments and don't belittle the patients.

flag | Submitted September 15, 2015

Hands down the best ER Dr I have had the pleasure of treating me. After breaking my ankle I started to have sever pain 3 days after visiting the hospital. After getting checked in I saw Dr. Lau within 30 min in St joe's ER. After explaining my problem and having him feel my foot, he seemed very concerned that it was cold, imminently started acting on the situation and examining me. During the entire time he would drop silly jokes that kept me calm and my mind off the pain I was in. He also brought in 2 residents and a second ER Dr to double check on me. After a small amount of time, he decided to call in a specialist orthopedic specialist to make sure everything was ok. A great DR, knowledgeable, great beside manner and extremely helpful and willing to take the time to explain everything and make sure you get the best possible care.

flag | Submitted August 6, 2015

Horrible experience. I had a diabetic emergency and triage took me in right away and gave me a bed. Dr. Lau came to see me and said "not feeling well?" and put his stethoscope on me for 1 second but did not listen to anything. Seriously, he did not put the ear pieces in his ears so I don'tt know what he thought he heard! He t hen watched the nurse put in my IV and walked away. This was the last I saw of Dr. Lau. I repeatedly asked to speak with him about my treatment plan and my symptoms and the nurse kept saying "Dr. Lau is very busy". I was given insulin for the first time in my life by a nurse, still no visit from Dr. Lau even though I had questions. I asked the nurse my questions and she said "ask Dr. Lau" but the doctor never came in to see me. 8 hours later a nurse came in and said "Dr. Lau is satisfied with your blood work now so he is discharging you". It was the middle of the night, I never saw him once. I had to wait 40 minutes for someone to pick me up and still did not see Dr. Lau after repeatedly asking to speak with him. It was the most ridiculous ER experience of my life. A newly diagnosed diabetic with an emergency yet the Dr. did not come to see me to see how I was or explain the treatment plan? I will be making a complaint to the hospital about this "Doctor". Ridiculous!

flag | Submitted February 2, 2015

When I got to the hospital with high blood pressure I had blood work and EKG. But blood work and EKG Dr. Lau ordered CT test based on my complaints . He took one step further to check my head. Thanks to was diagnosed with large brain tumour-meningioma.

flag | Submitted December 19, 2014

I had him as an ER doctor. He was great. He was very sensitive to my situation, even cheered me up a little with conversation, he ordered tests which were done immediately and explained all the results to me himself (even sat down to tell me!) and when he told me I would have to come back for follow up tests, he let me know when he would be in so that I would be able to come back to him, already knowing my case. Definitely appreciated, my sister and I were very impressed with his level of professionalism and care.

flag | Submitted June 4, 2014

Clever, not much of a bedside manner. Seemed rude to the nursing staff who ran up and down the halls taking care of ?50 people. Barely made eye contact with me. However, gave me the right prescription and accurately diagnosed...

flag | Submitted May 18, 2014

Excellent communication with patient. Caring for confidentiality and comfort. Went out of his way to help my niece and asked how she was after leaving the emerg.

flag | Submitted February 17, 2014