You may also like

Rate Dr. William Ross

Dr. William Ross's Ratings

My wife and I have both been to Dr Ross for retinal tears and he has saved our eyesight. What greater gift can someone give you, period! Yes, his waiting room is busy, if you cannot understand why, then stop reading this review, your glass will always be half empty. Personally I think he is a superstar with the perfect balance of professionalism and compassion to his patients. If he did not feel any compassion he would not be doing what he does so to all the detractors stop your pathetic whining and grow up.

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][2780440].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 17, 2015

About 18 months ago I realized I was losing my sight. Turns out I had Branch Retinal Vein Occlusion. An optician referred me to an optometrist who, in turn referred me to Dr. Ross.

I took a look at this site and was both concerned and baffled by the reviews. I am particularly sensitive to curt and abrupt treatment by medical practitioners and when I saw that trait listed among the comments I was a bit worried. But along with those comments I also saw people sharing how he had been kind and caring and so on.

I'm very glad I decided to make up my mind for myself.

There are definitely wait times, but rarely are you just sitting around purposelessly. As you wait, drops are placed in your eyes to prep you for the actual visit, so that your pupils will already be fully dialated by the time you go to see Dr. Ross. This is not curt, this is efficient. Beyond all that though, Dr. Ross surprised me, by not only being one of the most competent doctors I've encountered, but too, being one of the most caring that I've met. He does not lack for bedside manner. On my first St. Paul's visit, he was intuitive about my fears, and took the time, even in a busy hall to pause and reassure me that I was in good hands and that he and his team would help me. His timing was so perfect, tears actually sprung into my eyes and, admittedly, I felt reassured. People who say he does not chit chat, are accurate. He does, however, answer questions. I've not once felt that he was dismissive toward me or my questions, something of a rarity in today's medical world. Finally, if that wasn't enough, when I went to see him, my vision had dropped to 20/80. After his surgeries, I am back at 20/25. I'm happy to wait a bit before seeing him for that sort of caring interaction along with undeniably effective treatment. Dr. Ross has both my respect and my gratitude.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2684224].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 15, 2015

a well respected doctor with many years experience. Total disregard for patients time, obvious overbooking,90 minute wait but no apologies. I wonder what his reaction would be if he was kept waiting for an appointment at say his accountants office for over am hour. He must be making significant money at the rate of turnover on the day we were there..

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2631426].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 24, 2014

Very helpful and kind. Very efficient with his time and getting people in and out quickly, without totally feeling like a cattle call. However there were a lot of people in the office already when I arrived for my 8:30 am appointment, and I was there for about 1.5 hours. I chalk it up to a system with not enough doctors, or he's just the best and you just wait for the best. I'm fine with that, but just be prepared and give yourself enough time.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2622792].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 17, 2014

People tend to respond to his communication skills, which are somewhat like being in a Montreal deli -- a mix of well intentioned optimism and well practiced albeit cliched lines.

Smart, kind, manages his time efficiently while dealing with serious matters.

Was this rating useful? 4 [[ userState['ratings'][2577608].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 14, 2014

I have been a patient of Dr. Ross' for 37 years, since I was a teenager. He is responsible for saving the sight in my eye and ensuring the vision in my other eye is unaffected. He went out of his way to save my eye when he had no reason to do so. I will never forget what he has done for me and I will probably never be able to adequately or reasonably repay him for what he has done for me. I like to tell him that we have grown old as doctor and patient. He is a tremendous doctor and an even better human being. It is apparent to me that he has probably made more than a few personal sacrifices to ensure the vision of his patients is not in any danger. When he decides to retire, there will be a void that probably can't be filled.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2448936].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 14, 2014

I can see why this doctor hasn't been rated for a while. Most of his patients are elderly and probably don't use the internet. I was a first time patient today and found him to be punctual, helpful and actually quite kind. He was busy and obviously wasn't interested in spending a bunch of time chatting about the weather, but he answered my questions and made me feel comfortable. The procedure he did wasn't a pleasant experience, but he gave me calm instructions throughout and did it efficiently, so that it was over quickly.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1386317].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 27, 2012

After reading the other comments below it reminds me of the TV series, "House." Both are apparently great doctors with bad bedside manners. Even though I felt I was treated in a very rushed manner, I'm sure Dr. Ross just wants to help as many people as he can and not waste time with chit chat and holding hands. I didn't wait very long despite a full waiting room. I listened to how he interacted with other patients and it seems like he is more pleasant to those that have had surgery from him or have been a long-time patient. My great eye doctor referred me to him and I trust it was because Dr. Ross is the best. As retinal detachment may be my problem and Dr. Ross' expertise, I will stay and bear his curtness. I've had a previous ophthamologist in the past who made me cry but I'm an adult with thicker skin now and just want my eyes well. I'll see how my next year's appt goes and give my next review then. Maybe the "helpfulness" rating will be better next year.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1386316].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 6, 2012

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1386318].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 8, 2011

It saddens me to read all the negative feedback towards Dr. Ross. He is one of the most highly regarded eye specialists on the continent and has saved the eyesight of countless patients. He deoes not run his practice to socialize with patients. Perhaps his manner is a bit "curt", but he gets results and that is what matters! I have been seeing him for 25 years and have had issues with bleeds in my eyes, from being a type 1 diabetic for 40+ years. Dr Ross has kept my eyesight 20/20 over this time, and I'll be forever indebted to him for that. Personality aside, Dr Ross gets results, and if that is not enough for you, then go elsewhere!

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][1386315].votes_count ]]