You may also like

Rate Dr. William Ross

Dr. William Ross's Ratings

I have spent over 20 years seeing Dr Ross. From the beginning, he has always been distant, cold, and factual. Dr Ross treats his patients as patients; not his personal/social friends. Dr Ross is a PROFESSIONAL. His specific and complex field is completely different from those Dr who"s bed side manner is important to develop trust and comfort. Dr Ross does not have time to waste comforting those who are looking to be cuddled and supported mentally and physically. He is there to heal and fix your eye issues. I have never expected Dr Ross to be anything else than PROFESSIONAL, nor my trusted friend. Dr Ross is DEFINITELY a caring doctor, his ability to continue to expertly care for your vision is proof enough. those who are on this site bad mouthing Dr Ross should not be under his care if they don't realize and appreciate his expertise. Perhaps coffee with a friend would suit their needs more effectively. Wakeup, shut up, and thank God(whichever God suits you), that he has time to fit you in. Last note, if you cannot understand that the "wait time" is at least 1 hour to dilate your eyes so that he can do his job, or that the punctuality of his appointments is not based on appointment time but rather the time necessary to begin his work with you, maybe Dr Ross is not for you. I dread the day he retires and shuts his practice. He is the best; you have the best; chill out and thank him with a coffee card at least!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2893331].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 12, 2015

My only issue with Dr. Ross and his staff is they will not give you any information about other Dr.s doing the same treatment as he is doing, the Avastin injections. He no longer practices on the North Shore and would have liked him to recommend someone on this side. We had to do our own research and found a Dr. At the Eye West Vision clinic in North Vancouver that is doing the same treatments. We got a referral from our family physicians and can now stay on the North Shore. It would have been helpful if he had told us in the first place.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2886062].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 5, 2015

My wife and I have both been to Dr Ross for retinal tears and he has saved our eyesight. What greater gift can someone give you, period! Yes, his waiting room is busy, if you cannot understand why, then stop reading this review, your glass will always be half empty. Personally I think he is a superstar with the perfect balance of professionalism and compassion to his patients. If he did not feel any compassion he would not be doing what he does so to all the detractors stop your pathetic whining and grow up.

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][2780440].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 17, 2015

About 18 months ago I realized I was losing my sight. Turns out I had Branch Retinal Vein Occlusion. An optician referred me to an optometrist who, in turn referred me to Dr. Ross.

I took a look at this site and was both concerned and baffled by the reviews. I am particularly sensitive to curt and abrupt treatment by medical practitioners and when I saw that trait listed among the comments I was a bit worried. But along with those comments I also saw people sharing how he had been kind and caring and so on.

I'm very glad I decided to make up my mind for myself.

There are definitely wait times, but rarely are you just sitting around purposelessly. As you wait, drops are placed in your eyes to prep you for the actual visit, so that your pupils will already be fully dialated by the time you go to see Dr. Ross. This is not curt, this is efficient. Beyond all that though, Dr. Ross surprised me, by not only being one of the most competent doctors I've encountered, but too, being one of the most caring that I've met. He does not lack for bedside manner. On my first St. Paul's visit, he was intuitive about my fears, and took the time, even in a busy hall to pause and reassure me that I was in good hands and that he and his team would help me. His timing was so perfect, tears actually sprung into my eyes and, admittedly, I felt reassured. People who say he does not chit chat, are accurate. He does, however, answer questions. I've not once felt that he was dismissive toward me or my questions, something of a rarity in today's medical world. Finally, if that wasn't enough, when I went to see him, my vision had dropped to 20/80. After his surgeries, I am back at 20/25. I'm happy to wait a bit before seeing him for that sort of caring interaction along with undeniably effective treatment. Dr. Ross has both my respect and my gratitude.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2684224].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 15, 2015

a well respected doctor with many years experience. Total disregard for patients time, obvious overbooking,90 minute wait but no apologies. I wonder what his reaction would be if he was kept waiting for an appointment at say his accountants office for over am hour. He must be making significant money at the rate of turnover on the day we were there..

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2631426].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 24, 2014

Very helpful and kind. Very efficient with his time and getting people in and out quickly, without totally feeling like a cattle call. However there were a lot of people in the office already when I arrived for my 8:30 am appointment, and I was there for about 1.5 hours. I chalk it up to a system with not enough doctors, or he's just the best and you just wait for the best. I'm fine with that, but just be prepared and give yourself enough time.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2622792].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 17, 2014

People tend to respond to his communication skills, which are somewhat like being in a Montreal deli -- a mix of well intentioned optimism and well practiced albeit cliched lines.

Smart, kind, manages his time efficiently while dealing with serious matters.

Was this rating useful? 5 [[ userState['ratings'][2577608].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 14, 2014

I have been a patient of Dr. Ross' for 37 years, since I was a teenager. He is responsible for saving the sight in my eye and ensuring the vision in my other eye is unaffected. He went out of his way to save my eye when he had no reason to do so. I will never forget what he has done for me and I will probably never be able to adequately or reasonably repay him for what he has done for me. I like to tell him that we have grown old as doctor and patient. He is a tremendous doctor and an even better human being. It is apparent to me that he has probably made more than a few personal sacrifices to ensure the vision of his patients is not in any danger. When he decides to retire, there will be a void that probably can't be filled.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2448936].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 14, 2014

I can see why this doctor hasn't been rated for a while. Most of his patients are elderly and probably don't use the internet. I was a first time patient today and found him to be punctual, helpful and actually quite kind. He was busy and obviously wasn't interested in spending a bunch of time chatting about the weather, but he answered my questions and made me feel comfortable. The procedure he did wasn't a pleasant experience, but he gave me calm instructions throughout and did it efficiently, so that it was over quickly.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1386317].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 27, 2012

After reading the other comments below it reminds me of the TV series, "House." Both are apparently great doctors with bad bedside manners. Even though I felt I was treated in a very rushed manner, I'm sure Dr. Ross just wants to help as many people as he can and not waste time with chit chat and holding hands. I didn't wait very long despite a full waiting room. I listened to how he interacted with other patients and it seems like he is more pleasant to those that have had surgery from him or have been a long-time patient. My great eye doctor referred me to him and I trust it was because Dr. Ross is the best. As retinal detachment may be my problem and Dr. Ross' expertise, I will stay and bear his curtness. I've had a previous ophthamologist in the past who made me cry but I'm an adult with thicker skin now and just want my eyes well. I'll see how my next year's appt goes and give my next review then. Maybe the "helpfulness" rating will be better next year.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1386316].votes_count ]]