Ratings for Dr. Douglas D. Backous

I had conductive hearing loss that was getting really bad. I was tired of it. It was becomming a handicap at work and my wife was losing patience. Dr. Backous came recommended and he helped me a great deal. He performed a stapendectomy on my bad ear (right) and the results were amazing. This guy changed my life! Thank You Dr. Backous!

flag | Submitted April 6, 2016

I felt going to him was an important piece in my journey to discover a diagnosis- he really didn't add anything already known. I too felt it was a one sided conversation-directed toward the computer screen. I thought afterwards- did I really need to be there? I can handle the difficult information- I do not need to be patronized or talked down to. Which is how I felt.

flag | Submitted September 14, 2013

I've dealt with chronic ear infections since 4 years old. I've been through mastoidechtomies, tubes, repaired eardrums, cholesteatoma removals etc. I decided to overlook a doctor's arrogance thinking he would be the one to solve my problems once and for all - MISTAKE. While his appointments tend to be on time, they're incredibly short, and you probably won't get to make more than a single sentence contribution to the "conversation" (a conversation implies an exchange of communication between individuals- his appointments are more like 15 minute med school lectures). If needing surgery, he passes you off to his nurse Barbara, who is the kindest soul you'll ever meet. Within a year after surgery with him, my ear drainage problems persisted and he really could have cared less honestly. Needless to say, I went to a different ENT, who also happened to show me I had a hole in my eardrum that Backous neglected. If this is your first time with an ENT doc, I warn you - seek another doctor.

flag | Submitted June 20, 2013

Dr Backous performed operations on both my husbands ears and when he was examined by a reputable audioligist for hearing aids, the audiologist was horrified at what had been done. One ear was so bad that she could not fit it with a hearing aid as the canal was so mutilated. I dont know what we should do,if anything, about this but it doesnt seem right.

flag | Submitted January 25, 2012

He took the time to listen to my concerns and his staff is real helpful with insurance and trouble shooting difficulties.

flag | Submitted November 2, 2011

Dr. Backous is an amazing and knowledgeable surgeon. While he often seems very rushed (as others pointed out) I have found that if you tell him you have some questions and get him to slow down, he is very good at answering your questions. The surgery he performed on my ear (a reconstructive one many years after a mastoidectomy I had as a child) significantly improved my ear's ability to self-maintain (as he promised it would). I decided after my surgery that even though he didn't make me feel all warm & fuzzy I would stick with him as long as I could because I knew he was excellent at what he did. Bottom line - If you want someone to discuss/consult/help you process your decisions, he may not be the one for you. But if you want someone who will be very straight forward and an excellent surgeon - look no further.

flag | Submitted April 18, 2010

I had to come down from Alaska for emergency surgery. This doctor saved my life, literally! He was funny, witty, and made me feel a lot better. I wouldn't go to anyone else.

flag | Submitted February 17, 2010

On a positive note, my 9 year old son adores Dr. Backous. He's great with boys; he puts them at ease and makes lots of jokes; my son doesn't want to go anywhere else! It's impossible for me to evaluate Backous' surgery skills, since I have no basis for comparison: I don't know what another surgeon would have done differently. But I have not been impressed with this doctor. I enjoy his personality, but I have been very frustrated with his level of communicating. He seems to talk in circles and even outright contradict himself from visit to visit. I feel he's either not listening to my questions or doesn't know what he's talking about or changes his medical opinion frequently. My son ended up with a modified radical mastoidectomy, which I wasn't expecting, wasn't consulted on and am not sure he needed, with no hearing improvement in spite of prosthesis and now constant worry about complications. Feel Backous should use more tech to asses treatment. Wish had sought 2d opinion.

flag | Submitted August 8, 2007

He is the best in his field in the Pacific Northwest, which is why he's so hard to get into!

flag | Submitted December 6, 2006

Condescending doctor. Spent very little time trying to understand my concerns.

flag | Submitted November 7, 2006

Dr. Douglas D. Backous's Credentials

• University Of Washington School Of Medicine (Grad. 1989)