Ratings for Dr. Anil Kumar

When he did my surgery 10+ years ago, I came out of surgery with cyanosis, blue lips/finger. My family also commented on it. I got no answers from Dr. Kumar or the hospital. I know there's a nurse out there that knows as I heard her say things when I was in recovery. Also was dx with a third heartbeat within months after surgery. I had new leg weakness within 2wk post op, but I did have improvement after surgery. It was recommended that I have a follow up MRI post op. None was done. I did have new scans 2yrs later which found a new central cord lesion below the disc that were operated on. It was said to be part of a demyelination disease even tho central cord lesions are usually caused by trauma/injury, as it's mostly gray matter. Demyelination lesion are moreso found in the peripheral part of the spinal cord where it's mostly white matter. But I'm not a neurologist, BUT neither is Dr. Kumar. I went back to see him this years as I sustained a (new) injury at work. He looked the MRI of my spine, which state, "severe stenosis" above the fused part of my spine. He then gleefully informed me that I must had/have a demyelinating disease. His reaction and the other comment of how he "cut/hit" others patients' spinal cord during surgery, really made me wonder. He then wrote a prescription and said I didn't need to see him again. Which is fine by me. Went for second opinion in another city.

flag | Submitted August 14, 2018

Horrific receptionist! Very egotistical. I had two surgeries by this man. First surgery went bad and he would not do any tests or examine me. My family doctor had to get a C.T. Scan. The recommendation from there was to have a MRI. The MRI recommended surgery. 1 1/2 years later he finally looked at the MRI results and then decided I needed surgery. He cut my spinal cord during surgery. I was 24 hours on my back to heal it. Once I was up and around it broke loose again and I lost a large amount of spinal fluid. He had left no standing orders for me at the hospital! The hospital were unable to contact him and were unsuccessful. Finally at the end of the day his receptionist informed the hospital he was out of the country on a holiday! His colleague cane to see me and stitched up the drainage tube after 36 hours on my back I was healed enough to walk and go home! I believe angels in the form of excellent nursing staff saved my life. That and Cranio Sacral therapy. I never want to see this man again and I recommend that others stay clear of him too!! He needs to retire!!

flag | Submitted April 27, 2018

DO NOT SEE THIS MAN! Nov 2013 - in my surgery, he hit my spinal cord twice and chose to close me up and not contain bleeding from from vertebrae. I am now a paraplegic from the chest down. I spent nearly a year in Wascana Hospital where I heard of other examples of catastrophic results from his surgeries, a.k.a. poor skills! FYI: do you know that no one verifies the surgical reports that are written up by the doctors? Hmmmmm !

flag | Submitted July 8, 2017

Dr. Kumar is a very skilled surgeon. I was initially a bit thrown off as he is abrupt and very factual, and I felt like I had to really dig to get information as he does not elaborate a lot [so be prepared with follow up questions]. In the end, he did a fantastic job with my surgery - whatever he lacks in social skills was made up for in technical skills. In addition, his front desk staff is very friendly and helpful and made me feel at ease.

flag | Submitted April 27, 2017

Dr. Kumar was 2 hours late seeing us due to an unforeseen emergency. He was very apologetic to everyone in the waiting room and when we got in to see him, he was excellent. We were the first in and he answered all our questions and took time to explain everything. He did not rush us at all knowing there were a lot more waiting. My husband is needing surgery and he ran through everything including the risks and was very sympathetic to my husband's pain.

flag | Submitted April 24, 2017

Dr Kumar may be a very good surgeon and does explain things very well before surgery however his communication , manners, empathy and helpfulness ends at that point. At the 3 month post op appointment he spend maybe 3 minutes with us and asked one question. He had no interest in listening to how the last 3 months had Went or any current concerns. It was like his job was done doing the surgery and he couldn't care less about anything else after that. In one statement he said everyone handles surgery different and then in the next breath says that everyone should return to work at the same time with no regard to the type of job you have. I understand he must see a lot of cases of people purposely trying to abuse an insurance system but you cannot paint everyone with the same brush or assume everyone on insurance is out to scam. If you tell a patient they have a weight lifting restriction and the main pet of their job is lifting greater than that how can you return to work and follow his instructions, he did not seem open or willing to help with documentation for making workplace accommodations. If he does a surgery for you then you pretty much need to count on your family doctor for all after care needs, follow up and questions. Never had someone make us feel so undignified and insignificant before!

flag | Submitted April 3, 2017

Extremely disappointed with this doctor. Horrible mannerisms, would not let me finish a sentence and tried to tell me my own level of pain! I have degenerative disc disease and live in constant pain for many years now and have been back and forth to physio with nothing helping. Dr Kumars solution was more pain meds! I would not let this doctor operate on my worst enemy!

Submitted November 8, 2016

Dr. Kumar wasn't interested in hearing any of my concerns whatsoever. He asked a few questions and rudely cut me off as I was replying. Stated that I didn't require any surgery and you indicated that that was the end of the session. This doctor was highly recommended by my doctor and I traveled almost five hundred kilometers for this appointment. It was a total waste of my time and energy

flag | Submitted August 25, 2016

In Aug 2015 Mr Kumar put titanium between my c4 c5 c6 and c7 vertebrae in my neck, and he then in Feb of 2016 completed a procedure called a lamonectomy , where he removed the centre of my spine from the 1st lumbar, all the way down to my cocksis and rebuilt my back with pedical screws and titanium...it has been an incredible journey and Mr Anil Kumar is an incredible surgeon, and very professional, this guy is very very good !!!Thank you Doctor Kumar, M Treble

flag | Submitted May 14, 2016

My sister-in-law is dead thanks to this man's incompetence. Ask a lot of questions before allowing him to perform surgery on you.

flag | Submitted February 12, 2016