Ratings for Dr. Pramila Rao

I have been a patient of her for my entire life and have had nothing but major problems with her. She first told my family that i was to young to have diabetes when it was brought up (runs in my family) as well as thyroid issues. When i was 10 she told me i was majorily fat (and no she didnt say obese) even though i was 5'5 and 125 pounds. This in turn caused me to have several eating disorders for several years and when i told her of them she didnt respond nor did she recomend me for help. I also was perscribed a birth control pill that caused me to throw up violently 3-5 times a day and when my mom brought it up she said it was perfectly normal. Last year (18) i was hit by a truck walking and sustained severe nerve damage in my left side and she didnt see me or even ask to i had to book an appoitment two months after the accedient. In febuary of this year my brain swelled and i lost complete function of my legs and had to re learn how to walk and still use a cain (i am now 19) and because the doctors couldnt find anything despite exstensive looking it was marked as unexplained. From this i still cant do many things including work but according to her i can ask for certian help because there is no proof. I have also been diagnosed with severe ptsd do to a life time of abjse and childhood sexual abuse and other cicumstances to the point where i cant go out and she belives this to be mild case of anxiety despite being told by counclers and physcians (her own) that i have been getting worse along woth my leg worsing. I currently am the process of getting odsp as i cant work or function properly and when she found out she cornered me and wouldnt let me speak or ask questions. (my boyfriend was there to stop my attacks or try at least) and unfortunatly her rude and unjudst behavior resulted in me having a severe attack to the point where i was almost hospitalized. So i am currently looking for a new doctor and would never recomend dr rao to any one. She is the worst doctor as many others would agree. However her receptionist and current pyhsycian mario are absolutly amazing and go above and beyond to accomidate my ptsd

flag | Submitted August 31, 2016

I became Dr. Rao's patient after Dr. Chung left. I have found her to be very informative and open to discussing my general health. She makes suggestions on being healthy. She is also the doctor for my other family members. I have found her to be patient and attentive. She is now the doctor of my daughter and granddaughter and both seem to like her as well.

flag | Submitted July 19, 2016

I previously had Dr. Chung as a family doctor and loved her. I now have Dr. Rao and am actively looking for new doctor. I find her to be late all the time, very rude, insensitive, and rushed. She gives very poor physicals to young people whom she deems healthy and will say I don't even know why you are here, you are young and healthy. My last 3 yearly physicals I don't even think she touched me accept for checking my blood pressure. So much for being proactive I guess. I choose to get my routine pap tests done at the Health Unit because Dr. Rao is very rough. When I was pregnant I saw a midwife because I couldn't bare to deal with Dr. Rao. I had to see her once while I was pregnant because I needed some insurance papers filled out for my employment and she refused to fill them out leaving me with zero income. Dr. Rao is very uncaring towards babies and doesn't even examine them. She is the worst when it comes to immunizations and tells you to pin the child's arms down while laying on the bed and just injects them and then walks away with out any kind words or even a bandaid to cover their bleeding thighs. She doesn't check hips, spine, ears, eyes, stomach, or glands and doesn't ask any developmental questions. Very disappointing doctor and I expect better for myself and my child.

flag | Submitted December 4, 2014

Dr. Rao has been my family Dr for 8 years and I love her. Yes she is busy and can come across as being abrupt, but she is a very thorough and excellt physcian. She has always be pleasant and thorough with my son and myself in our care. When my son was diagnosed with Autism in 2009, she was very supportive and ordered tests to make sure he did not have certain conditions that sometimes individuals with Autism can have. She also stated he was the only patient she had with Autism and that she would be learning from him. She was always interested in how he functioned at home, socially and health wise. She is also my Mom's family doctor and has taken excellent care of her as well. When you see her, go with you list of questions already prepared and assist her in helping you. Like all physicians, she can't help you if you don't tell her what is wrong. The only minor thing I would say is not great is her availability, however she has been a fantastic MD thhus far.

flag | Submitted October 2, 2014

Dr. Rao has been my family practitioner my entire life. However, when I visited her as a young adult with a potential naval piercing infection, she glared me, prescribed me an antibiotic (without examining me - a quick glance and then a glare into my face) and told me to remove the jewellery at once. I had an unsettling feeling about removing the jewellery midst infection, so I went to a walk in doctor for another opinion. They told me absolutely do not remove the jewellery until the irritation heals, because you can seal in the infection and make it much worse. In conclusion, she is quiet careless and allows her personal opinion of her patients to stand in the way of proper care. Furthermore, her staff have lost my blood work results twice within one year. Her receptionist nurses laugh at patients when they are not in the waiting room, in front of other patients. In general, visiting the office of Dr. Rao is a very unpleasant and unhelpful waste of time.

flag | Submitted July 15, 2013

My file was transferred to Dr. Rao after my family doctor left her practice. I would not recommend her as an effective physician and if I had a choice, I would have another doctor. I have suffered from Diabetes Type 2 for over 10 years. Up until last year, my sugars were quite high. Dr. Rao threatened insulin which I did not want. After I did my own research online, I went to see her with a list of other medications she could use as an adjunctive. Unfortunately Dr. Rao felt differently, and I had to fight tooth and nail to get her to prescribe these medications. She even sat in front of me and repeated to me as she wrote in my medical file...that I was making up excuses as to why I could not exercise. All I said to her was I did not care for that particular exercise but could enjoy exercising in my own way. She made me feel 10 years old and I am 48. If you have a choice, stay away. If there were an abundance of doctors in the city, I would choose another.

flag | Submitted April 29, 2013

I am writing a second review of Dr. Rao now that I have been with her for several years and can make a more informed review of her and her continuity of care. What I first perceived as a compassionate competent doctor has sadly turned out to be more like most of how other reviewers have perceived her. She is a wonderful doctor as long as you NEVER question her direction of care for you. I have witnessed her be extremely unprofessional (yelling at other patients through her door) and has also yelled at me for asking to look into other ways of possibly treating me.She has made me promises of care in front of other Specialists and even her Medical Residents but once they are gone(out of the picture)she goes back on her word. She is horrible and if I didn't have to be with her as a patient due to lack of other doctors in Thunder Bay I would no longer be a patient there. Her staff I find are amazing under such horrible direction. Let 'the patient beware'-don't go to her if she is walk in.

flag | Submitted January 28, 2012

Dr Rao was my family doctor for my son and I went in with my newborn baby she was terribly rude to me infront of everyone in the waiting room. My 12 year old said lets go mom. Then she gave my baby a needle and was nothing but cold insensitive towards him.. my oldest son and was so upset and un comfortable. I called and took her off as our doctor, my son did not want to go back to her, we now found a new one. Dr Rao is insensitive and very cold to children. I would never recommend her.All Dr Rao did while my baby cried was look in her book, no comforting words!All she said was it is only going to get worse. I had Dr Chung as our family doctor before her and she was wonderful.

flag | Submitted May 2, 2011

Caring but always rushing. Her diagnoses are very quickly offered and worry me, especially after a few have been reversed. I actually have ended up feeling guilt when my body hasn't responded to a treatment like she expected it to - she seemed so annoyed. But she is smart and generally quite kind, so my advice is to be very prepared with your questions when you see her.

flag | Submitted April 28, 2010

Doesn't listen to patient concerns. Feel like I'm wasting my time even going to see her because she blows you off. I usually go to a walk in clinic instead.

flag | Submitted April 13, 2010