Ratings for Dr. Wilfred Tak Ying Wong

Dr. Wong has been my doctor my whole life. He often complains about his stress, or how he dislikes doing the paperwork related to my WCB case. Once, when I was going through depression related to university stress, he said that lots of students in China get so stressed out by school pressure that they end up committing suicide. Thanks, Dr. Wong, that's a nice, hopeful thing to say to your patient. He gets frustrated very easily and makes you feel like it's your fault he's stressed. "Not patient-focussed" as another reviewer put it -- that's the understatement of the year. The first thing he does after saying hello is turn his back to you and start looking stuff up on his computer. Someone I know said he once took a phone call during her appointment and started making dinner plans. His bedside manner is abominable. He is certainly well-intentioned, but he is also impatient, jaded, and cranky. Thanks for delivering me, Dr. Wong, but it's a good thing you're retiring soon!

flag | Submitted July 26, 2013

Dr Wong is a great doctor! He is caring and knowledgeable, and takes the time to help his patients. The one negative is that he is often late, but that is because he never rushes his patients when he sees them, so he gets behind. So if you want a doctor that is more concerned about being on time rather than providing each person with as much time as they need, then look for a different doctor.

flag | Submitted February 27, 2013

Dr. Wong has been my family doctor for almost 30 years, and he has never once fixed anything wrong with me. His appointments are always runnin 30mins to an hour behind schedule, and he never calls to discuss test results/xrays. I fractured my back last year, the xray showed it, and he still didn't call to let me know. I had to book an appointment and push the issue with the receptionist in order to get results. I have been in chronic pain for the past year, and all he gave me was ten days of NSAIDs, then went on vacation without letting me know (so I couldn't get a refill). I have lab results in, that I can view online, and still no phonecall from him to discuss them. The clinic itself is no better. The phone system is ridiculous, the building is old, and you can hear every word of the appointment in the room next to you. Overall, I would not recommend Dr. Wong to anyone unless they were really desperate. I am currently looking for a new family doctor.

flag | Submitted July 23, 2012

Poor system for booking appointments. Hardly ever on time for appointment - at least 20 minutes late. However, Wilfred is quite knowledgeable about medical subjects and cares about his patients. He takes time to explain test results and medication to me.

flag | Submitted July 5, 2012

Dr Wong was my family doctor my whole life! I hadn't seen him in years as I had previously not had an excellent experience--I walked away with a prescription every time I saw him! I figured I may as well go to a closer walk in clinic for the same service. Dr Wong also never once recommended I do a physical or other routine check ups and my parents aren't vocal about 'personal care' so how am I supposed to learn? So here I am, in my 30's, finally with a clue that I need to start getting physicals, etc... I called Dr Wong to ask if he would see me and he said since I haven't been there in 10 years that I am considered a new patient and he is not taking new patients. I asked him if he could make a referral and he said no and hung up. Not helpful and not friendly.

flag | Submitted June 24, 2011

Dr. Wong has been our family doctor for over 30 years. He has delivered both our children and continued to provide excellent health care. We're lucky to have him. I can't fathom some of the negative comments on this site. He has been a wonderful family doctor for our entire family.

flag | Submitted February 25, 2011

Dr. Wong has been my family doctor for over 20 years. Even though he tries to be helpful, I feel like he is not very thorough. For example, I have a chronic condition and he mistakenly prescribed medication that warned against this specific medical condition. Had I not read the back of the box, who knows what could have happened. I am now in search of another doctor.

flag | Submitted March 2, 2010

Dr. Wong is very patient. He takes time to explain things to me and I don't feel rushed. He works very hard and he even covers other doctors' patients during Christmas week. He is extremely helpful to solve my health problems as well. Thanks Dr. Wong. May God bless you and your family.

flag | Submitted December 31, 2009

Dr. Wilfred Tak Ying Wong was my family doctor for the first 23 years of my life (I am now 40). His sense of priorities are terribly wrong and not patient focussed. As an example, as a healthy young man wanting to be responsible entering into a serious relationship with my girlfriend, I asked him for an AIDS test. He lectured me on the provincial government needing to keeps costs down, and as I am heterosexual and not a drug user, that I didn't need this test. I had to demand that - as a healthy guy who asks little of the medical system - that doing the test would be responsible and proactive. Reluctantly, he agreed. Needless to say, this was one of the last visits I had with him.

flag | Submitted December 31, 2009

He was very thorough and I didn't feel rushed during a visit.

flag | Submitted September 28, 2009