Ratings for Dr. Barbara Fehlau

lacking compassion, inappropriate, something is just not right with her very aggressive during PAPs, upsetting

flag | Submitted February 15, 2016

Dr Felau has been my doctor since she took over for Dr Fockler many years ago. At first I was happy with her. She is very quick to refer to specialists but I believe that is correct practice for a GP. Over time she became more rushed, less caring and rude. The last time I visited her I booked a long appointment in advance for a pelvic exam and pap smear. Before the exam I was asked by a clinic staff member if it would be alright for an intern to come into the room with the Dr during the exam. I decided I was fine with that. I've always been quite comfortable with pelvic exams and I was happy to allow a student into the exam room. When the Felau arrived into the examination room she expressed that she was rushed and if I could get on the table right away then she could get me done right then. I replied that I had booked extra time and would be needing it. She was irritated and left the room stating that she would be back in 15 min then. When she arrived back she was very angry that I had not already undressed and gotten on the table. I had no idea that she had wanted me to prepare for her return as we had not even had a sit down discussion yet. She demanded that I undress right then with her still in the room. It was very uncomfortable undressing in a room with an irritated Dr who was outwardly angry towards me. I considered walking out and letting her know that I thought she was not in any condition to receive patients. However, the appointment had taken some time to get and I myself have a very busy work schedule so I decided to just get it over with. I got on the table and then received a very rough and angry pelvic exam and smear. It was painful and I felt horribly violated with all that anger directed into my body like that. A little in shock, I stopped at reception and asked for Felau's email address with the intention of giving her some feedback. I was told that the only way I could contact her was by posting a letter to the office in her name which would then be attached to my file. The letter would then only be read when Felau saw me for the next appointment. I knew I would NEVER be coming back and let the reception know that wouldn't work. After leaving the clinic I found myself sobbing in the parking lot. Later I saw that I was bleeding from the vagina after the rough exam. The intern that the staff had mentioned never entered the room but I badly wished that he had as I am certain I would not have been treated so unprofessionaly if he had! This incident was traumatic. It happened 3 years ago and I have since had a very difficult time with anxiety around pelvic exams. There is something wrong with Dr Felau. She did not even follow correct procedures and her aggression towards me was unlike anything I had ever experienced from any Dr.

flag | Submitted November 8, 2015

my kind of doctor - absolutely no b/s - she calls it the way it is. No time for whiners and cry babies - perhaps her critics would like to take a look at themselves in a mirror which would adequately explain their relationship or lack of. She has helped my back pain more than I could imagine .

flag | Submitted September 22, 2015

Dr. Fehlau is like Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde. You never know what you are going to get. She can be charming and compassionate but more often than not she is a bully, yelling at her patients. When she is in this state of mind her medical care is questionable at best. She brings her personal issues to work and I have had many appointments where she is in tears about her own life, and I am comforting her, while she is being paid to care for me. Her emotional issues are something she needs treatment for. She refers patients to herself for treatments that she provides that are not covered by MSP and so the patient pays. I feel this is a conflict of interest.

flag | Submitted June 17, 2015

an amazing doctor, knowledgeable, caring and compassionate. She has been our family doctor since Don Fockler retired. She has been great with our kids in past and is now seeing us into our "senior" years. Couldn't ask for a better doctor!

flag | Submitted May 17, 2015

saw this doctor today, left in tears because of her attitude, she rather poke at my problems then my medical condition what a bad doctor.

flag | Submitted April 18, 2013

Dr. Fehlau has been my doctor since Dr. Fockler left. I feel very lucky to have her after being in an accident that left me with chronic pain even after surgery. The only thing negative I would say is that I wish she wasn't away as much, but I know she is usually learning the newest best ways to help her patients. She is the only one who truly listens to my medical problems and who is truly compastionate out of the entire clinic of doctors.

flag | Submitted September 7, 2012

Dr. Fehlau saved my life. After a long hospital stay she agreed to see me as a favor to another doctor. After 4yrs of severe chronic pain and still no answers I had given up. She came to see me and gave me hope. She believed in me when I couldn't even believe in myself. She has seen me once a week ever since. She has helped my chronic pain immensley. She has helped me have a life again. She always listens to any concern I have and never rushes me. She is selfless, kind and compassionate. If it wasn't for Dr.Fehlau, I would not be alive today. She is by far, the best doctor in the Valley and has helped me more that the dozens of specialsts I have seen. I feel so blessed to be her patient and will be grateful to her for the rest of my life. I will never be able to thank her enough for the endless things she has gone out of her way to do for me. She is truly an amazing woman and we could all learn from her.

flag | Submitted March 16, 2012

Unknowledeable in the extreme.One wonders if she really went to medical school? She has never really treated me, preferring to refer the patient to a specialist. Perhaps her frustration at her inability to handle her job explains her attitude towards her patients. She is completely unprofessionl, yelling at patients in the examining room and even in the waiting room. She has reduced many to tears. There must be some oversight of doctors who have such a degree of inappropriate behaviour that they should be removed from any contact with patients.I would prefer to have no doctor at all rather than suffer the anxiety and stress brought on by this woman. As others have suggested, I believe she is ill and she should not be permitted to pratice unless her own problems are resolved.

flag | Submitted November 21, 2011

My life has been changed because of the excellent support of Dr. Fehlau. I cannot imagine how I could have survived in the pain I have without her compassion, treatment and skills. Dr. Fehlau is one the preeminent doctors in the Comox Valley dealing with patients who have great/chronic pain. I follow her direction, use the skills she has taught me and follow up when required. I am eternally thankful for Dr. Fehlau.

flag | Submitted November 15, 2011