Ratings for Dr. Ruth Turnbull

I was a patient of Dr Turnbull's for almost 20years. She used to be amazing, kind and very knowledgable. I switched doctors because of her Mr Hyde personality that seemed to be most prevalent the last 5 or so years. I understand she is overworked but taking a year and a half to finish a report for my lawyer regarding an ICBC claim was unacceptable. Although her report showed moderate chronic pain that will be life long, she would demean any symptoms when I went for my routine 8 week follow ups. For example she would say thing like I wouldn't know what back pain is until I have had back surgery like her. Maybe she needs to retire...

flag | Submitted May 3, 2018

Dr Turnbull is awesome! She is super smart, articulate, very thorough, kind and funny too! I feel lucky to have her as my doctor. She is caring and advocates for my well being. I usually feel better after talking to her than a counsellor! I agree with many of the comments about the difficulty of getting in to see her in a timely manner. I think last summer 2017 was especially bad. Also, there is a doctor shortage in South Delta. It took me months of calling every week to finally get an appointment. I expect a 2-3 hour wait WITH an appointment. However, the receptionists are good about letting you know where she's at if you call. I usually end up calling every hour a couple times and then half an hour and then a couple more times before i go in. I would think all the phonecalls would get annoying with people calling all the time but they tell me to call back and are nice about it. I imagine they end up dealing with angry people all the time with the long waits. It must be frustrating. Too bad there isn't an online system so we can see the wait time in real-time. I just suck up the waiting because Dr Turnbull is worth it. Yes, she has her bad days as does everyone. She's human. For the most part, it seems from the comments that many feel she is a great doctor. Could you do what she does? I know that sometimes she'll work through her lunch break to try and catch up on appointments. There was one time when she'd asked to see me in two weeks but i couldn't get an appointment because she was already fully booked and so she saw me at the end of her last appointment at 6:30pm and then spent an hour with me! I appreciate everything she does for me and hope she'll be around for a long time.

flag | Submitted March 25, 2018

I think Dr T is a fantastic doctor- very knowledgeable and helpful. However, getting in to see her has become a nightmare. Getting an appointment is like winning a lotto. You have to phone during a tiny little window of opportunity (20-25 minutes!) and if you miss it you have to wait another week to try again. What kind of crazy system is that? Heaven help you if you need help in between windows of opportunity! When you do get through it's to book for 2 weeks later, at least. So the whole booking process can take upwards of a month or more, depending on her schedule. Ridiculous! And why can't we book because the staff doesn't have her schedule for the next month yet?! Ugh! It's a good thing she's a good doctor or she would be out of business.

flag | Submitted November 29, 2017

I've been Dr. Turnbull's patient for over 22 yeas & feel truly blessed to have her. She is kind hearted, well spoken, exceptionally thorough, & smart as whip. She is hard to get into see, but I understand that is because she is in such demand. For me the wait to see her is worth it because she gives me ample time

flag | Submitted November 21, 2017

Dr. Ruth Turnbull is most incredibly thorough, is a wonderful 'listener', and makes important 'time' with them - you do not feel 'rushed out the door'! ☺

flag | Submitted October 30, 2017

I am having the same problem trying to book an appointment which Dr. turnbull requested. I've been trying to get in since July. She only books 2 weeks at a time, told to call back in 2 weeks, called at 9:05 am, completely booked for the 2 weeks period. I'm seriously considering finding another doctor, which is a same as i like her as a doctor.

flag | Submitted September 11, 2017

Front office staff are horrible. after trying for a follow up appointment (demanded to be booked by Dr. T herself) am still waiting to see her. I have phoned back 7 times throughout the months of June July and August. As of the end of August told once again to phone back in september. After waiting to see doc at walkin was misprescribed, rushed and now have no medical assistance. Close this office and retire, before someone is seriously hurt because they are deemed not important by your front line staff.

flag | Submitted August 28, 2017

July 2017 I made a point of seeking out Dr Ruth Turnbull at the Ladner Clinic over three years until I was able to find a GP. She is an experienced doctor who can be relied upon for an accurate diagnosis and rapid treatment. I had WASTED so much time visiting other doctors in walk-in clinics for a simple problem that Dr Turnbull recognized and treated immediately. I would rather have Dr Turnbull's competence and wait up to three hours to see her than wait for one of the other Dr's that I had seen and be "blown-off".

flag | Submitted July 12, 2017

potentially knowledgable but blindingly inconsiderate with extremely poor bedside manner.

flag | Submitted January 17, 2017

I was Dr Ruth's first patient when she opened her practice is Ladner. There are a lot of valid points being posted here and yes that office is a nightmare and the staff are poorly trained...basically they do what they want, no leadership. Dr Ruth has saved my life quite literally and has gone to great lengths to keep me healthy so .... when I have to wait 3 hours ( book appointment) it is irritating but I plan for it, I call ahead and ask how far behind she is and adjust my day which is not easy when you work. She has become very stressed and there are days she can be "short" with patients but I try to come prepared with notes to make things go smoothly. She's been able to get me in to see some of BC's top specialists and I'm forever grateful. Dr Ruth is very dedicated and loves the work she does in Delta Hospital which I'm sure she will transfer into full time once Dr Sylvia Henderson retires. Sad for me to lose her but I've had almost 30 years of excellent care.

flag | Submitted November 23, 2016